Cell phones and SIM cards?

We are not taking our cell phones to AU next year. We would like to purchase a local phone and SIM for use for the month we are there. We will not be texting or using the internet (facebook etc). Just to make calls, contact tour operators, emergencies on the roads, etc.

What are my best options, and where can we purchase/arrange for a phone and card? Our first stop, of course, is Sydney, staying in Darling Harbour.

TIA

My brother rented a cell phone prior to his trip to England and Ireland this summer. It was from a U.S. company I think. They sent it to him about a week before his trip, with a charger and it would be compatable with where he was travelling to. I forget the name of the place, but I can find out from him.

Hi,

You could probably just walk into any TELSTRA shop and get a pre-paid SIM and phone. Then put say $30 or $50 on it and use it for the month. Telstra has the best coverage in Australia.

Looking at their website https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/prepaid-mobile/ (then click on the purple box next to 'explore offers"

there are some basic phones listed there starting at $29 for the Telstra Roamer, then $49 for the Telstra T95 Black Nero, and the Telstra T95 Blue Denum.

Smart phones start at $99 but you don't sound like you need one of those.

Also on the telstra website you can do a 'find a store' put the postcode 2000 in and it will show you 5 Telstra shops

1) Sydney George St North - Shop 1, 327-329 George Street

2) Sydney - 400 George Street

3) Sydney Central - shop 5020, 188 Pitt Street

4) Sydney Market Street - 245 Pitt Street

5) Sydney Elizabeth Street - 231 Elizabeth Street

They are all within walking distance of Darling Harbour and the cruise terminal - so any of that you walk past would be fine.

Other carriers in Australia include Optus and Vodaphone. You could also do exactly the same (get a pre-paid SIM and a phone) from an Optus store. I just know more about telstra as that is what I use for mobiles.

(When I went to NZ on a cruise - at the first port I got a NZ telstra sim card for my iPAD and had my iPAD online for the rest of the cruise. It was great - (I work in I.T. so was sort of at work as well as on holidays - gee it was great to be in contact for almost no cost)

Wonderful technology.

Let me know if I can help further.

Regards,

Kevin

We are not taking our cell phones to AU next year. We would like to purchase a local phone and SIM for use for the month we are there. We will not be texting or using the internet (facebook etc). Just to make calls, contact tour operators, emergencies on the roads, etc.

What are my best options, and where can we purchase/arrange for a phone and card? Our first stop, of course, is Sydney, staying in Darling Harbour.

TIA

Pop into Wooworths in the centre of Sydney. Woolworths (there supermarkets do so I'm sure the variety store does -prolly behind some Customer Assistance Counter) has a prepaid mobile phone service. They use the Optus network.

They ave cheap phones ($130).

http://www.woolworthsmobile.com.au

Store Details

Woolworths - TOWN HALL

Address: Cnr Park & George Streets

Sydney, 2000, NSW

Phone: (02) 8035 9275

Hours: Monday-Friday 6:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Saturday-Sunday 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Instore Services: ATM.

You might need to clarify 'emergencies on the road'. Will you be traveling by road through rural areas, between cities?

If you are staying in major cities, it probably doesn't matter which carrier company you go with. If you are driving between cities, I would go with Telstra. Telstra coverage is larger than any other company.

Pre paid phones (telstra) start from $29 upwards and usually come with a $10 credit. If you are going to be driving in rural areas between major centers, I suggest buying the telstra phones that have the 'blue tick' (recommended for rural - longer range). The T95 phone (blue tick) is $49 and again usually has $10 credit with sim.

Be aware that phones bought from the main telecommunications companys are LOCKED to their services. If you never intend using that phone again (at home IF they are compatable with your local networks) I guess that won't matter too much. You can buy carrier unlocked phones from electronic stores, and then just buy a seperate sim card with whichever carrier you choose, but generally these phones are not as cheap as the 'locked' phones from the major telecommunication companies.

There are phone shops everywhere! Any major shopping center will most likely have stores from the major companies (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, Virgin Mobile). As well, you can buy from large electronics chain stores (JBHIFI, Dick Smith etc) and smaller independant phone resellers (stores that sell locked phones from all the Tele companies) and then there are the department stores - Kmart BigW Target.

Note. Phone purchases are simple. Sim card purchases require registration with identification

Would buying a Telstra phone and sim in Australia also give New Zealand coverage?

Yes, but in New Zealnd the Telstra sim would be charged at international roaming rates. If it is a Telstra pre paid sim (and you don't intend going back to Australia) just use it till it runs out then buy a new sim card from a local NZ carrier for the phone.

Website discussing aussie phone useage in NZ

http://www.ausbt.com.au/travel-tech-best-prepaid-sim-cards-for-travel-to-new-zealand

Would buying a Telstra phone and sim in Australia also give New Zealand coverage?

Thanks Iain

Yes, but in New Zealnd the Telstra sim would be charged at international roaming rates. If it is a Telstra pre paid sim (and you don't intend going back to Australia) just use it till it runs out then buy a new sim card from a local NZ carrier for the phone.

Care as most Telstra prepaid phones are locked to their network so you may have issues 'just' sticking in another countries SIM card ( not sure when they say locked whether it also means overseas as well. If it does then it will be a hassle calling back to unlock.

Care as most Telstra prepaid phones are locked to their network so you may have issues 'just' sticking in another countries SIM card ( not sure when they say locked whether it also means overseas as well. If it does then it will be a hassle calling back to unlock.

I overlooked that fact in my reply.

Yes. Beware! The major phone companies sell "LOCKED" phones. ie the phones will only work on their respective networks UNLESS you pay to have them unlocked. Telstra's unlock fee can be as high as $150 if unlocked within the first 6 months of purchase! ouch.

Best thing to do is to buy an 'unlocked' phone so that you can use any carriers sim in it. So avoid Telstra, Vodafone, Virgin Mobile and Optus stores as they will most probably be network locked. Unlocked phones can be purchased from electrical goods stores and department stores (eg jbhifi, dick smith, BigW, Kmart, Target) as well as non-carrier phone shops. Then you just need to purchase a pre-paid sim for it. When you go to New Zealand, you can try and use what credit is left on that sim, and swap it out for a New Zealand sim when needed.

Thanks for all replies, I will be travelling Aus- NZ- Aus so the best bet should be an unlocked from a store then change SIM cards in NZ. When I return to Aus go back to original sim. have I got it right?

Iain

A second recommendation for GO-SIM. In addition to international SIM cards, they also sell a range of unlocked handsets, depending on what you need (ie bog-standard to bells-and-whistles). They'll deliver to your home before you leave, and as long as you use it once every six months, your credit won't expire and you can use it again next year. No need to buy or change SIMs when you get there. Simples!

Thanks for all replies, I will be travelling Aus- NZ- Aus so the best bet should be an unlocked from a store then change SIM cards in NZ. When I return to Aus go back to original sim. have I got it right?

Yes, to me that would be the way to go, using pre-paid sims with an unlocked phone. Just, when you come back to Australia, you should be able to use the rest of the credit on the New Zealand sim first, rather than throw it away. When it runs out pop in the Aussie sim.

Archived