Voyager of the Seas - some questions from a first timer

I'll be on the Voyager of the Seas in November. My first time cruising! I have a couple of questions....

- are power boards allowed? I have a number of electronics that need charging and from what I understand there may not be enou power points in the cabin.

- is there tea coffee making facility in the cabin? I'm in a balcony cabin (not a suite)

- is there a size and weight limit for the carry on bags? My carry on is slightly larger than a cabin bag so not sure if this is allowed otherwise I'll have to go and buy another one.

- I'm planning to purchase the unlimited photo package. Are the photographers everywhere and they will always take your photos or do we always have to go up to them and say can you please take a photo of us? Also, with portraits are they only on formal nights or every night? Is there always a queue or can we take as many photos as we like? Just trying to figure out how it all works since we want to make the most of our unlimited package :)

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions down the track.

Thanks all in advance.

- are power boards allowed? I have a number of electronics that need charging and from what I understand there may not be enou power points in the cabin.

Officially NO. But I have got mine always on board.

- is there tea coffee making facility in the cabin? I'm in a balcony cabin (not a suite)

NO

- is there a size and weight limit for the carry on bags? My carry on is slightly larger than a cabin bag so not sure if this is allowed otherwise I'll have to go and buy another one.

NO

- I'm planning to purchase the unlimited photo package. Are the photographers everywhere and they will always take your photos or do we always have to go up to them and say can you please take a photo of us?

Yes . Give the photographer a small tip early in the cruise works miracles.

Also, with portraits are they only on formal nights or every night? Is there always a queue or can we take as many photos as we like? Just trying to figure out how it all works since we want to make the most of our unlimited package :)

Unsure

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions down the track.

Thanks all in advance.

We had an electric jug and teas in our inside cabin in February this year. No coffee though -- we discovered that they have sachets of instant coffee available -- but you have to ask for them , they are not placed in the cabin unless asked for . :eek::eek:

Barry

-- we discovered that they have sachets of instant coffee available -- but you have to ask for them

Well that's a good tip Barry. I was going to buy some coffee sachets for our cruise, as the #1 problem with RC is the brewed coffee - ugh!!!

OP - your carry-on has to pass thru the X-ray m/c at security, so that's the only limitation

Make sure you also bring an international power plug. The power points are European & American. You will be more likely to get your power board on if you pack it in your carry on bag and make sure it looks in good/new condition.

I hope you come back and post about your cruise, Im on VOS in Feb....

We had an inside cabin and friends an outside on the Voyager in January and they both have an electric kettle and tea/coffee provided. I would be surprised that balconies don't offer it as well.

Be very nice to have your morning cup of coffee on your balcony.

Thanks you all for your replies.

I have a question about the ice show. I understand because it's so popular they have to give out tickets and allocated times for everyone. I'm in a group of 8 traveling in 3 cabins and am hoping that we could all see the ice show together. How do they allocate these tickets? Do we have to queue and get these tickets therefore first in best dressed? Or we don't get a choice of when or what time we want to see this show?

Thanks you all for your replies.

I have a question about the ice show. I understand because it's so popular they have to give out tickets and allocated times for everyone. I'm in a group of 8 traveling in 3 cabins and am hoping that we could all see the ice show together. How do they allocate these tickets? Do we have to queue and get these tickets therefore first in best dressed? Or we don't get a choice of when or what time we want to see this show?

In March April this year there were no tickets but you were allocated a ice show day depending on your dinning room number:confused:

My time dinning got the first show along with numbers ending in Even to a certain point then Odd numbers and remaining Evens got the last show about 8 nights after the first lol.

It was just so confusing as it was only announced in the daily ship paper "Once"

I am still confused:eek: because it may have been the letters on your sea pass not numbers lol, anyway we had the last show and the staff look at your sea pass and decide to let you in or not! many people want to see it over and over so try and sneak in :rolleyes: They should have just asked me and they could have had my place lol

If your other friends end up with different times they will not change due to the amount of work involved shifting around 2000 odd passengers.

If you get a different ime to friends you are allowed to front up and they will let you in once they are satisfied the empty seats are too late to show up.

Yeah, tickets are issued elsewhere, with larger ships/different durations.

For cruisers on Voyager, it's as Fishtaco said. The CD on our cruise said he came up with the idea, and the reasoning made sense, just due to the numbers they have to work with and the practicalities (instead of having to book/queue for tickets, you already effectively have it with you).

So as you're travelling together, I guess you'll probably have booked dining together so it would probably be simple - though you can't choose your session, and they do sometimes clash with other things.

Thank you all.

Another question .....

Our departure time is 7pm and we are on MTD which is currently reserved for 6pm but I could change it. What is the sail away like? Is it like a big party on deck? if we have dinner at 6pm I'm sure we won't finish by sail away time. What do you guys recommend we do? Have dinner later after sail away? How long will it take for the ship to sail out of the harbor?

Thank you all.

Another question .....

Our departure time is 7pm and we are on MTD which is currently reserved for 6pm but I could change it. What is the sail away like? Is it like a big party on deck? if we have dinner at 6pm I'm sure we won't finish by sail away time. What do you guys recommend we do? Have dinner later after sail away? How long will it take for the ship to sail out of the harbor?

I was thinking the same thing about the 6pm dining at sail away. I was thinking of cancelling for that evening only and just going to the Windjammer. We don't want to miss seeing our beautiful harbour from this huge ship. Will look forward to reading replies from veteran travellers.

when we were on the Voyager in January this year sailaway was at 9 or 10pm (can't quite remeber. I do remember it was not like any of the other 14 cruises i have been on there was no band or anything the weather wasn't the greatest but i did expect alot more from rccl.

Regards Zanny:(

when we were on the Voyager in January this year sailaway was at 9 or 10pm (can't quite remeber. I do remember it was not like any of the other 14 cruises i have been on there was no band or anything the weather wasn't the greatest but i did expect alot more from rccl.

Regards Zanny:(

I agree! I have sailed out of Sydney Harbour 3 times with RCI and they don't do too much at all.

Still, it's not to be missed so make sure you find a great spot - we like the Viking Crown Lounge on Deck 14(?) where you can look over both the ship and the Harbour both sides.

We have allocated 6.45 for dining for our next cruise after our 6pm sail-away but we might just go to the Windjammer that first night.

If we're NOT going to be using the Dining Room we usually go by there and let them know ahead of time as a courtesy so no-one is waiting for us.

BTW you'll love the Voyager! Don't miss the Peek-a-boo deck where you can look down into the Captain's Bridge area. Sometimes if they'd especially busy they'll draw the curtains but other times you'll be lucky enough to get a view of all the action!

We were on Voyager on the Japan cruise in September, room 6312 , a balcony, we had a kettle tea and coffee, although we take our own tea bags, the tea was shocking IMHO. I've never cruised with RCI before but have been on several other lines. We found the room very well organised, enough power points for charging, making tea etc, hair dryer plugs in in the drawer.

For our cruise we had to get ice show tickets on the morning of the show in the promenade, but from what others have Said that isn't the norm, a lot of things re changed for Asian cruises we discovered. If you miss tickets just go down to the last show and wait, they left enough space for everyone to go once, we actually wondered why we wasted time queuing for tickets.

Is it true that if you book a shore excursion through the Royal Caribbeam website, we have up to 4 days before departure to cancel if we need to? Is this correct? Where does it say in the Terms & Conditions? I can't find anywhere that states this.

Hi,

When we last went the time you could see the ICE show performance was based on the letters/numbers on our sea pass card. Something to do with ODD / EVEN numbers from memory. The cruise director made it pretty clear on the TV channel that he was on. If your other guests have a different muster station (and different number of their card) they might be allocated a different show time.

There isn't much of a sail away party with RCI, unlike P&O who tend to do something special leaving Sydney. But still don't miss it.

Some pics of our last trip are here http://www.kevgriffiths.com/pics/hobart/

Shows the Ice Show, some of the ship and the cabin.

Is it true that if you book a shore excursion through the Royal Caribbeam website, we have up to 4 days before departure to cancel if we need to? Is this correct? Where does it say in the Terms & Conditions? I can't find anywhere that states this.

I've just booked a Ship's Tour through the RCI website and I do remember that there was a cancellation option but can't remember exactly what was stated.

Give them a call on 1800 754 500 for more details.

Hi,

When we last went the time you could see the ICE show performance was based on the letters/numbers on our sea pass card. Something to do with ODD / EVEN numbers from memory. The cruise director made it pretty clear on the TV channel that he was on. If your other guests have a different muster station (and different number of their card) they might be allocated a different show time.

There isn't much of a sail away party with RCI, unlike P&O who tend to do something special leaving Sydney. But still don't miss it.

Some pics of our last trip are here http://www.kevgriffiths.com/pics/hobart/

Shows the Ice Show, some of the ship and the cabin.

Thanks for the link to your website but I can't see it on iPad because it needs Flash. I don't have a computer.

Do you mean cruise departure or tour departure?

You can cancel up to 10 days before cruise departure, then when onboard it's generally 24-48 hours, although varies by excursion. More involved excursions e.g. overnight have greater requirements.