Live from the Wind Star trans-Atlantic

mariners

After a lengthy break from multiple sailings on Windstar, it was with some trepidation that we decided to book this trans-Atlantic crossing on the Wind Star. We were concerned that this cruise would turn into a comparison cruise where we would be longing for the "old days".

Although this is only day two of our sailing, I am thrilled to state that the "old" Windstar still remains, as well as some lovely updates to both the ship and the experience.

The only somewhat negative experience so far has been the boarding in Lisbon which was not the typical, at least for us, small ship boarding experience. This was not as a result of anything that Windstar created but, rather, it was because there were three ships boarding out of the same Lisbon terminal building at the same time: Silver Spirit, Windsurf, and the Wind Star.

Once we made it through passport control, and made our way to the ship, everything was perfect! At the bottom of the gangway, there was a crew member to help with carry-on bags. The Captain and other staff were at the top of the gangway to welcome passengers onboard.

Once onboard, there was a choice of refreshments to drink while filling out the final paperwork. As soon as that was finished and taken to the check-in desk, passports were taken, photos were taken, and room keys as well as the cabins were immediately available.

By the time we got to our cabin, the first of our bags had already arrived. Shortly after that, our second bag was delivered. While I set to unpacking (my choice), my DH went to have lunch in the Veranda. Lunch was served from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Muster was at 4:15 p.m. Sailaway was at 5:00 p.m. under a gorgeous blue sky. When the Windstar signature sailaway song played, we knew we were "home".

The cabins are one of the lovely updates on the ship. Although the cabins always made efficient use of space, the new, to us, layout makes the cabin appear more spacious as well as provides a sense of separation from the bed to the seating area. A cabinet that contains shelves, a BOSE system, water with glasses and ice bucket, a minibar, and a fridge has been placed between the two areas. The seating area contains two upholstered corner seats with an expandable table in the middle. Under the upholstered seats are storage compartments. Under the table is a removable stool for additional seating if needed. There are two plugs on the wall over the table, one North American and one European. The area functions perfectly as a desk, or dining table. It's also a great place to read or use the computer without disturbing one's spouse/partner/travelling companion if they are sleeping.

The area with the bed takes a bit of getting used to as there is only an end table (shelf) on the side closest to the portholes. There is a narrow passage between the bed and the wall adjacent to the foot of the bed to access the porthole side of the bed. The side of the bed closest to the cabinet has a built in narrow shelf a where one can keep the TV remote, a couple of books, etc. There are also both European and North American outlets in this area, and I have found that it is the perfect place to charge my iPad and phone.

I have heard a couple of negative comments on the cabins that, I think, are as a result of the passengers not realizing the correct size of the cabins. The cabins are small and, if a small cabin does not work for a passenger, then I would not recommend a smaller Windstar ship to them.

I have also heard a couple of negative comments regarding a lack of activities onboard. If one is looking for an active cruise ship where days are filled with events/lectures/evening shows, etc., then the smaller Windstar ships are likely not a good fit.

On this crossing, we have more options than I expected. There is the morning Yoga, and Walk a Mile. There is a guest lecturer onboard who is providing sessions on how to "Write Your Life Story". One can choose to go to Trivia, Name that Tune, play sports against fellow guests on the Wii, take a galley tour, visit the bridge, participate in a Blackjack tournament, and, probably, other options that will become available later in the cruise. There is also unhosted chess and bridge for those passengers who are interested. The duo onboard, MAR, are great and play a wide range of music.

The crew and staff have spent the last couple of days decorating the ship for Halloween, and it looks amazing. Our day is filled with surprise events. This morning, we had a "Very Bloody Mary" where one could create different types of Bloody Mary drinks. Then, we had a fabulous deck lunch with BBQ's sausages, hamburgers, chicken, fish and vegetables; jambalaya; seafood mac and cheese; potatoes; various salads; and other cold dishes. Tonight, at 6:30 p.m., we have "A Halloween Surprise" from the crew. Later in the evening, we have a Halloween Party. (I wish that I had known this ahead of time as I would have brought some type of costume.)

Our stateroom attendant miraculously knows when we have left and cleans our cabin so that it is always, except for our "junk", immaculate when we return. The crew remember our names, and what we usually like to drink. They are frequently checking to see if there is something we would like or need.

As for my days, they have been perfect. I choose how leisurely a morning I would like in the cabin before going out on deck. Then I choose whether I will read a book, go for a walk, sit and visit with others or do something that is listed on the daily program. Sometimes, all I want to do is stare at the water. It's amazing how it can change from minute to minute. So far, I have seen one sailboat, but I'm sure that there will be other ships as well as sea life that will appear.

The weather has also been perfect with mostly sunny skies. When we left Lisbon, we had a bit of motion. Now, the sea has calmed down and there is almost no motion. Hopefully, we will get a bit more rock and roll at some point. Of course, I'm not hoping for the storm/hurricane weather that has been hitting the USA.

For anyone who is considering a crossing and using the internet, this is the one area of weakness onboard. I spend more time trying to log on after being booted off than actually being on the internet. Luckily, I purchased unlimited internet.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks for the full report. Exactly matches our experiences on WS. There is always at least one couple on board who are just miserable - in a whining voice "there's nothing to do; the cabin is so small; etc." There is so much information out there that I'm always in disbelief that they didn't know what to expect.

So generous of you to share with us on land! Great memories of our 2 crossings in the Atlantic. Our friend Meg Fates is with you, she is from Cape Cod and has white hair. If you see her say hello please from Gilles and Susanne. Have a great sail and a safe one. For those moaners and as stated above there are always a few, they annoy me for about 2 seconds and then pity sets in because what tragic people that they can not find it in themselves to be able to enjoy our beautiful world. Happiest of Sailing.

This is wonderful to read.

My wife & I will be on our first WS cruise this NYE. We have sailed Silversea, Regent, Paul Gauguin and Crystal. We are really excited about our cruise on WS Surf. We know the size of the stateroom and lack of activities and will be just fine.

If WS did that much for Halloween, I expect the NYE party will be great too.

I worry a little about the motion, but since we have no sea days, I expect we will be relieved for the stops, or disappointed we don't have more time to just relax on board while sailing. I bet on "disappointment".

Mariners, please keep posting if you can.

I'll be eagerly following your thread. I'm doing my first ocean crossing next Spring (Pacific rather than Atlantic). Celebrating the start of retirement.

Not sure whether I'll buy the internet package. One thought is that I'd like some disconnect time after over 40 years in tech.

But it might be handy in case I need to check on an Alaska excursion.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I'll be eagerly following your thread. I'm doing my first ocean crossing next Spring (Pacific rather than Atlantic). Celebrating the start of retirement.

Not sure whether I'll buy the internet package. One thought is that I'd like some disconnect time after over 40 years in tech.

But it might be handy in case I need to check on an Alaska excursion.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We dion't bother with the internet when doing an itinerary where we're cruising from port to port each night. We have worldwide cell/data service on our phone which work seamlessly in every port, and I can also turn it into a wifi hotspot if there's something I just can't do on the phone. For a TATL I'd be very nervous without internet that long - still busy at work with many things up in the air and just too hard to be completely off grid for more than a day or two.

We dion't bother with the internet when doing an itinerary where we're cruising from port to port each night. We have worldwide cell/data service on our phone which work seamlessly in every port, and I can also turn it into a wifi hotspot if there's something I just can't do on the phone. For a TATL I'd be very nervous without internet that long - still busy at work with many things up in the air and just too hard to be completely off grid for more than a day or two.

Yes, not getting a package and just using internet in port is what we've mostly done as our cruises have been port intensive. In Alaska last summer, we had scenic cruising days in a row, but on that ship had a free hour of internet usage per cruise day which was enough.

I'll have retired about a month before the cruise so won't need to be on-line for work. Anyway I'm able to be off-line for a week or two at a time with my job. Most of what I've used the internet for on prior cruises is play, seeing that there are no urgent family matters and current voyage things (like what's the weather looking like or checking on arrangements for the next ports).

In this case, there will be 8 consecutive sea days plus the day gained crossing the date line.

Someone mentioned on a general thread that some ships on trans ocean voyages adjust the clocks at mid-day instead of during sleeping hours. I.e. 12 noon becomes 11 AM when going Westbound or 1 PM when going Eastbound. Which does Windstar do?

Our stateroom attendant miraculously knows when we have left and cleans our cabin so that it is always, except for our "junk", immaculate when we return.

I meant to comment on this earlier. My husband joked that the attendant must have sensors to let him know when we were leaving the room. The stateroom attendant was so wonderful and efficient. He often was in the corridor to great us as we were leaving and the room was always put in order by the time we returned.

Our Crystal Cruise this summer was fine in most respects, but I noticed that the cabin attendant was much less visible and often if we came back to the cabin in the late morning it hadn't been attended to yet. Or if we made a request it might not get attended to until the next day. Not an earthshaking problem but definitely less attentive than on Windstar.

Strenz, I met Meg tonight and gave her your message. It was much appreciated.

We have changed our clocks at 2 am on this cruise. For us, that means before going to bed.

We are not retired so need the internet to stay in touch with the “outside” world. We have always found a way to manage, but do not typically need to respond immediately to emails.

• 3 weeks later...