Best South American Shore Excursions

Emigrant

We are going on a South American cruise March & April would people recommend the best shore excursions for Rio de Janeiro Buenos Aires, Port Stanley Falkland Islands, Ushuaia Argentina, Punta Arenas Chile, Santiago Chile, Coquimbo Chile,Lima Peru, Manta Ecuador,Fuerte Amador Pamama, Puntarenas Costa Rica, San Juan del Sur Nicaragua,Acapulco Mexico,

Cabo San Lucas Mexico? Thank You for recommendations

We are going on a South American cruise March & April would people recommend the best shore excursions for Rio de Janeiro Buenos Aires, Port Stanley Falkland Islands, Ushuaia Argentina, Punta Arenas Chile, Santiago Chile, Coquimbo Chile,Lima Peru, Manta Ecuador,Fuerte Amador Pamama, Puntarenas Costa Rica, San Juan del Sur Nicaragua,Acapulco Mexico,

Cabo San Lucas Mexico? Thank You for recommendations

I have videos posted on my Youtube Channel for many of these ports.

Click on the link below for information on viewing these videos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

I regret that we did not take a tour to Volunteer Point while in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. The ships tour was full and we could not find a private operator. Here is a description of the tour from a friend who just returned from a cruise of South America. I don’t remember the name of the operator, but these tours fill up fast, so you will need to book early. I'm not sure what the Penguin situation will be during the time of your visit. Do a Google search for private tours of Volunteer Point.

“Of all the excursions the Volunteer Point was the best!! We were able to arrange for the first tender so had lots of time. There were 48 of us (most either CC people of folks from the Falls) in 12 jeeps. The trip out was a hoot - 21/2 hrs each way over bogs and streams, etc. We had to pull a couple out of the mud. We bounced along and laughed and laughed. The penguins were astounding - 2 thousand of them. They would walk up to us - usually in pairs - about 18 inches was their comfort zone. There was a roped off area where the breeding penguins could stay, but they walked back and forth. We saw the male penguins with their breeding pouch covering the eggs - some chicks were there as well - what a treat.”

Cruzer Two

The guide for Volunteer Point is Patrick Watt. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We got bogged down as well but they are so used to it that it only took a few minutes to pull the 4x4s out of the mud. Use the link below to see our pictures.

pwatts@horizon.co.fk

HEADS UP: If you have a bad back or neck, this trip is not for you --very jarring ride for an extended period of time. Also, if your ship doesn't list an excursion to VP, it means that there isn't enough time in port to get there and back.

Read Gixer's thread on the Falkland Islands for more information and to find alternative to VP. Gixer lives in Stanley.

Has anyone been to North Lake or know anything about it.

Patrick Watt Volunteer Point tour is full. I have an opportunity of going to North Pond but I can only find his brochure online no one advertising North

Shore otherwise or giving information about it.

Thanks for your information and your photos which are great.

Kathy

Hi

We did many of your ports when we cruised SA and enjoyed all private tours with fantastic guides. If you are interested in the names / contact info and or would like my review that tells you what we saw let me know. ann at century 21 vancouver dot com I did post my review you will find it under Celebrities "Infinity" and we sailed Jan 2/05.

Has anyone been to North Lake or know anything about it.

Patrick Watt Volunteer Point tour is full. I have an opportunity of going to North Pond but I can only find his brochure online no one advertising North

Shore otherwise or giving information about it.

Thanks for your information and your photos which are great.

Kathy

Hi Kathy

As far as i am aware the North Pond excursion is new this year and Gus and Paula are the inly people able to do this, I can look for their e mail address if you like, I have heard it has been a great hit so far. Have you tried Neil Rowlands to see if he is able to take you to VP.

Archived