San Juan del Sur Nicaragua

Emigrant

Regards choosing shore excursion for San Juan del Sur Nicaragua it would seem that Nicaragua is most at risk of malaria than other centres we are visiting. Is there any particular shore excursions that we should not do because we may be more at risk? Otherwise what precautions recommended?

The volcano and rainforest and lake sound good what do people think?

Regards choosing shore excursion for San Juan del Sur Nicaragua it would seem that Nicaragua is most at risk of malaria than other centres we are visiting. Is there any particular shore excursions that we should not do because we may be more at risk? Otherwise what precautions recommended?

The volcano and rainforest and lake sound good what do people think?

San Juan Dl Sur is just a small port town with really nothing to offer. We took the Princess sponsored tour of Colonial Granada & Isletas Boat Ride. I would not recommend doing this tour on you own. Granada is quite a distance from the port and the roads are terrible. The contrast between the houses on Lake Nicaragua compared to the rest of Granada is simply amazing. I have a video of Granada posted on my Youtube Travel Channel that will show you the highlights of this tour.

Click on the link below for information on how to see the Granada (San Juan Dl Sur), Nicaragua video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two

Kathy,

Yes, I would certainly recommend a ships tour in Nicaragua. Granada is a long ride over rough roads full of potholes. Nicaragua is a very poor country and I would be concerned about vehicles used by some of the private operators. Getting back to the ship on-time is another consideration. Our bus was late getting back to port, but since the excursion was arranged by Princess the ships departure was delayed awaiting our arrival.

The best part of the tour was the boat ride around Lake Nicaragua and this was arranged by Princess. I have used private guides in many different parts of the world, but I don’t think you will regret taking the ships tour in Nicaragua.

We took no malaria precautions for any of the Central America ports of call.

I hope this helps.

Ron

Archived