Detroit to Galveston

Bookworm1985

Just for fun I was messing around with Travelocity and putting in mirror flight times for a cruise in 2020 (I know it won’t be exactly the same 2019 vs 2020 but it can generally give you an idea on prices to expect). They were over $1000! That is as much as my flight to Barcelona was! Does anyone have experience flying Detroit to Texas? This just seems crazy to me! I also tried Chicago, Toledo and Windsor just for fun...same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check Southwest into HOU (they don't fly into IAH and they don't show up on Travelocity). As an example, I plugged in an August round trip and could get you to Houston and back for less than $250 per person.

I'm also from Detroit ..... I mock book your flight for 2019 on saturday 1-19-2019 non-stop on way to Houston from DTW at $210 on United or $414 round trip for a saturday to saturday on Kayak. Don't use Travelocity .....

Last August, we flew from Detroit to Houston on Spirit which for the round trip, cost about $560 before baggage, which felt a bit expensive. We took the Carnival transfer from Houston to Galveston, and that cost needs to be added in, that was an additional $188 total for two people. The flight back was cancelled due to the Hurricane, and we debarked in New Orleans, but that is a whole different story. Carnival did reimburse us the unused transfer back to Houston.

We also live in Detroit area and have cruised out of Galveston. One "problem" is the distance from IAH to the Galveston terminal, and also having to get back to the airport. I think Hobby airport is closer, but not all airlines fly to Hobby. Galveston is the only place we have ever booked our hotel and transfer through the cruise line. Hotel Galvez was very nice and it all worked well. Every time I look at cruising from Galveston I consider all of the "extra" costs involved and the transfer time.

We also live in Detroit area and have cruised out of Galveston. One "problem" is the distance from IAH to the Galveston terminal, and also having to get back to the airport. I think Hobby airport is closer, but not all airlines fly to Hobby. Galveston is the only place we have ever booked our hotel and transfer through the cruise line. Hotel Galvez was very nice and it all worked well. Every time I look at cruising from Galveston I consider all of the "extra" costs involved and the transfer time.

HOU (Hobby) is about 40 miles from the port while IAH is about 75. (With the main part of downtown Houston in between the two). Delta and American both fly into HOU (as well as IAH).

You (anyone reading this) can go to the "Gulf coast" departure section of the website, the topic of getting from the airport, which airport are discussed over and over and over.

Just for fun I was messing around with Travelocity and putting in mirror flight times for a cruise in 2020 (I know it won’t be exactly the same 2019 vs 2020 but it can generally give you an idea on prices to expect). They were over $1000! That is as much as my flight to Barcelona was! Does anyone have experience flying Detroit to Texas? This just seems crazy to me! I also tried Chicago, Toledo and Windsor just for fun...same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't torture yourself doing this. You can't even see what flight costs are for half of 2019 are yet, and trying to guesstimate what prices "might" be in 2020 is a complete waste of time. Watching cat videos on youtube is a better use of time. ;)

• 1 month later...
HOU (Hobby) is about 40 miles from the port while IAH is about 75. (With the main part of downtown Houston in between the two). Delta and American both fly into HOU (as well as IAH).

You (anyone reading this) can go to the "Gulf coast" departure section of the website, the topic of getting from the airport, which airport are discussed over and over and over.

SWA is also a major carrier at Hobby. Various shuttle services are available from HOU.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's WN not SWA. ;)

Go to any web browser and type in wn.com and see what pops up.

Then go to the same browser and type in IFlySWA and see what pops up.

Which one takes you to Southwest Airlines?:confused:

Edited by dan4182
correct typo.

Go to any web browser and type in wn.com and see what pops up.

Then go to the same browser and type in IFlySWA and see what pops up.

Which one takes you to Southwest Airlines?:confused:

To be fair, don't type in iflyswa......type in swa.com, the same way to want wn.com to be entered.

That will give you - not Southwest Airlines - but rather Simpson Weather Associates.

As Globaliser states, you are both correct. WN is the two character code for Southwest while SWA is the three character code. But if you try to use SW in a two-character application, you won't get Southwest. But you will get flights from Windhoeck.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew DTW to Houston during spring break. We flew Spirit. It was around$250 a person. We like to keep our flights to Florida or cruises under $200. What bothered us more was the rental car charges in Houston going to Galveston. We were not able to do a one way car rental to the car port.