Document Dance - Nov. 6th

cunarder

Hi all,

Just heard from my TA that our documents came this morning. Can't wait to have my hands on them.

29 Days and counting untill a very much needed break.

Anyone else receive theirs? I saw some people were having problems sending the guest registration.

Ed

Hello Ed,

No, my documents have not yet arrived. But, I did have my Travel Agent check with Cunard to be certain that the Guest Registration Form was received. All was well with my booking, she was told. So, it is just a matter of time until mine arrive!

Bob

cruise pup,

Glad to see someone actually knows Binghamton. My wife is from Vestal so she was happy when we moved back to Binghamton last April.

It makes it easier to cruise from New York too. We are driving down instead of worrying about the luggage and the airlines game.

Ed

cruise pup,

Unfortunately, the Vestal Steak House is closed. I guess they closed about a year or so ago (before we came back). I heard that someone bought the building and raised the rent through the roof forcing the place to close.

The cow has a new life though. I saw in the paper that it had been brightly (and I do mean brightly - like the hippy flower power days in the 60s) colored and was being transported somewhere around the Bingo area. I'm not sure where it is going to end up.

Ed

Wow, I knew things would start sliding once Perkins Pancake House closed up and became Edna's Dress Barn. We should get together for a drink and discuss our favorite Pat Mitchell's flavors.

New topic - Is anyone bothering bringing a getup for the Pirates Ball?

Hi cruise pup,

No, I am not bringing a costume for the Pirate's Ball. I am starting to think about getting clothes together for packing and am wondering what kind of outerwear I will need for New York City. I will be there for one day before we sail and two days after our arrival. Just packing for those 3 days may take up more room than I would like.

Hi cruise pup,

Getting together sounds good. How about the Golden Lion after lunch on Sunday? They might have a football game on the tv. If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Don't know if you follow hockey, but the Binghamton Senators (used to be Rangers) open the season tonight. They are suppose to have one of the best teams in the AHL. I will see tonight.

Ed

cruise pup,

That was our thought to eat lunch in the Golden Lion on Sunday. I have heard so much about the fish and chips that I have to have some.

What would be a good time to get there before the crowd?

Oh, by the way, some friends from Syracuse came down for the hockey game Saturday night. Since it is close to one of my friends birthday and it was just mine on the 5th, we bought a Pat Mitchells Ice Cream cake to celebrate (along with some Moet).

Ed

cruise pup,

Sounds good. 12:30 at the Golden Lion.

You can probably recognize us as there will be 3 of us. Myself, my wife, and my niece. I'm sure there won't be many threesomes there with that combo but you never know.

Ed

Hello. I have another list in here. The "Is any one sailing..." I am sailing on 11/6 as well. I've invited all cruise critics to tea (my treat - ha ha). 1st sea day at start of service, Queens Room right side heading toward stern. Look for ship picture on the table. Please RSVP.

I got my ticket pack over a week ago. Luggage is out. Slowly sorting stuff to put in it. Now if I can just get enough work finished in time. So far so good.

READY SET GO !!!

Well Ed it is finallly almost here. It has been quite some time since we last spoke about this upcoming cruise - on the NCL boards?

Since I missed you last May Cruise Pup, will definately be at the Golden Lion at 12:30. There should be three of us also. Did not get to dine at Golden Lion back then so am looking foward this as well as the Commodore's Club - just did not have enough time on that short cruise do go everywhere.

I wonder which NFL game will be on the TV or if there might be more than one?

Who has already been to all the islands? I have been to St. Thomas and Saint Maarten, but not St. Lucia, Martinique or Barbados. Has anyone been to the Pitons or Drive thru volcano? For sure am going on the Catamarran which sails to a beach. We did that this past summer in Bermuda and it was wonderful.

For the QE2 Pirate's Ball Maureen (SH) gave the gentleman black eye patches and red head scarves. Did not notice any costumes, just the patches and scarves. Held on formal night, most gentleman wore dinner jackets and looked great.

I have been to all of the islands we will be visiting, but, for most of them, it has been some time: 1970 for St. Lucia and St. Maarten, 1984 for Barbados, 1986 for Martinique, but visited St. Thomas in 2003. In 2003, we were supposed to visit St. Maarten, but the port was closed due to the effects of Hurricane Fabian.

I remember the drive between Soufierre and Castries as being really beautiful. Tour group left the Rotterdam V at Soufierre and then re-joined the ship at Castries. I am planning on taking the tour that drives down from Castries and then joins a catamaran for sailing back to Castries. I remember seeing the Pitons, but not visiting them. (Maybe we did; 1970 was a long time ago and alot of water has passed under the keel.)

I am looking forward to meeting everyone aboard the ship in the near future!

Bob

Bob:

Thanks for your reply. I think we have also book the excursion which is part Catamarran in addition to the one that goes to a deserted island (St. Maarten?).

As a child was on the Rotterdam in the early 1960's - the one built in I think 1959. Was this Rotterdam V?

Have read some not too flattering comments about Martiinque - that the locals are not friendly; is a mile walk from the pier to town and not much to do. How did you find it? Seeing we will be there till 11pm I was wondering what there might be to do in the evening.

Cruise Pup - Did you also sail on Radisson this past spring?

Am also looking foward to finally meeting everyone!

Hi Jeanne,

Yes, it is almost a reality. It would be great for you to join us at the Golden Lion. Maybe I'll bring my Cunard House Flag with me so you and cruise pup will know us - hmm. It will be nice meeting you.

As far as the islands, I spent 2 weeks in St. Lucia back in the late 70s and have also visited on QE2 a few years ago. Also was at Barbados in 98. I can't say enough about Barbados. I love that island. We had a tour guide take us around the whole island (2 days). You can't go wrong with any of the tours that QM2 has available.

See ya soon.

Ed

Hello Jeanne... how are you?

Martinique is a FRIGHT. The natives on the street look like thugs and glare at you; or start verbal arguements if you ignore them; and the people who work in the shops have "Parisian" attitude.

I'm from BROOKLYN and live in MANHATTAN so it's not that I'm some "lily white suburbanite" who's afraid of "urban people" or stangers.

I just call 'em as I see 'em... and I call Martinque a hell hole.

If you insist on getting off there, take a Cunard land tour.

I will be staying on QE 2 in when we anchor there in December.

Michael

NYC

Michael:

And we are there till 11pm Michael! Will definitely heed your advice. In grammar and high school I studied French and could not wait to travel to Paris in the 1970’s. As soon as I opened my mouth to speak a sentence to a waiter or ask directions, I was ridiculed in some form or manner. They really do not care for Americans. I much prefer Italy, or even Spain. Likewise I have not been that impressed with the French Islands – especially St. Martin and Guadeloupe

The QE Christmas cruise sounds nice, weren’t you on this in 2002? Am thinking of booking QE2 next summer for wither the Mediterranean or Norway. Princess Cat would be affordable for these.

Michael, you have been on QM2 this year? If so, did you make it to the Commodore’s Club? I forgot to go there last time and am really looking forward to this as well as that forward elevator which is supposed to have some view. What was you favorite lounge? (I liked the yacht club on QE2 and the Chart Room).

Have been pretty good - how about you?

Ed

Given my inability to find most everyone last time I think the flag is a great idea. Thanks for the info on Barbados. Bermuda has always been my favorite island and some people have told me that I would likewise love Barbados (and not like Martinique) – that there is a similarity.

I will nice to finally meet you and your family as well as Cruise Pup’s.

At the pier at Martinique you can buy French wine and brandy very reasonably. There was also French beer for $.50 per can. Don't buy that unless you like very bad beer. I don't know much about French wine, except that it is expensive here, so I can't comment on the quality, but it was bottled in France. It appears that you can bring it on board and drink it with Cunard so I may try some this trip. Carnival does not let you take it to your cabin. Dean (11-16 cruise)

Archived