Tortola Destination Info from Cruise Critic

LauraS

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
Trese - thanks for the kind offer. We are back from our trip. As it turned out we had to tender into the port which delayed us and my DH was unable to do his planned dive. But we joined a group of other people and took a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay. The snorkeling was mixed. We saw huge schools of teeny fish, a couple of schools of larger fish and really not much else. Many diving pelicans though which was neat to watch as they were close enough to us to be visible under the water. However, other people from our taxi ride and on the same beach, saw a tarpon that was larger than they were and one saw a nurse shark.

Other CCrs had described CGB as being "some of the best" snorkeling they had experienced but that waSqs not our experience.

On the other hand, other pax went to Brewers Bay andfs Adu 3 found an uncrowded beach which so3unded nice, and they had good snorkeling - showed us a photo of a huge tarpon. Perhaps it was the same one from CGB!

E

s

We are doing a 10 night on MSC Lirica in Feb08, from Ft. Lauderdale, and it also docks in TORTOLA...we are hopefully going to get to the Baths in Virgin GORDA...I have read so much on them I am really looking forward to it...that is one of the reasons we chose this cruise this time..it includes some ports we havent been to...variety for us makes it nice! I love new places!!

Carol

I try to book a cruise departing from Puerto Rico and no cruise from Royal Caribbean or Carnival go to Tortola no more.

My husband will be diving in Tortola (long-held wish to dive the wreck of the Rhone), so I will be looking for something I can safely do alone. Not having been to Tortola before, does anyone have any suggestions about that? I could do a ship's excursion, but would I be safe hiring a taxi or....? Anyone done "stuff" alone? Thanks!

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, blue_water said:

Yes. And check out the shop at Pusser’s Road Town Pub!

But DO NOT buy the Pusser's Rum at the pub.  It is more than 2xs the price it is in the port.  When we were there in December it was 45 a bottle for the base at the pub and 21 in the port.  The gun powder was even a bigger savings buying it in port.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bonnie1222 said:

But DO NOT buy the Pusser's Rum at the pub.  It is more than 2xs the price it is in the port.  When we were there in December it was 45 a bottle for the base at the pub and 21 in the port.  The gun powder was even a bigger savings buying it in port.

The clothes are expensive but they have some nice stuff. You can buy the Pusser’s rum (and the Soggy $$ rum) online too if you want more at home…

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

The clothes are expensive but they have some nice stuff. You can buy the Pusser’s rum (and the Soggy $$ rum) online too if you want more at home…

We can buy the rum locally here in FL. But the gunpowder is much less expensive in port. The regular Pussers if about $5 more here plus tax.  

• Like 1