Cuba Reforms Developing - Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

falkcor

Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

• Yes - I would book an itinerary just to sail to Cuba
    • Maybe - I wouldn't mind, but wouldn't book just to sail to Cuba
    • No - I have no interest in sailing to Cuba and wouldn't book an itinerary that did

Keep in mind that it will take a 2/3 vote of congress to make such regular travel to Cuba by Americans possible. Don't hold your breath. :cool:

It will take some doing, but not that much.

Only 3 things call for a 2/3rds vote of all of congress.

One is overriding a veto. Since the President is proposing this, that is not a problem.

The second is a treaty. A treaty is not required to permit travel between 2 countries.

The third is an amendment to the constitution, also not required.

There are some laws that would need repealed to fully normalize relations, including officially allowing tourist travel to Cuba, but those would be a simple majority (or 3/5ths in the senate to avoid filibuster).

How quickly some people forget that Cuba was one of the first countries to send medics, field hospitals and approximately 83 tons of medical supplies to those areas affected by Hurricane Katrina, yet then-president George Bush declined their offer....

Yes, well most of Cuba's imports of food, pharmaceuticals and medical supplies are from the U.S. Betcha didn't know that.

Thought this was an interesting tell from John Healds FB:

Just watched the BBC news about America and Cuba shaking hands and opening doors to trade and tourism.

I went to Cuba and Havana a couple of years back to see it in all its faded glory. I really hope that the influx of money that will come from this long overdue relaxation can be put to good use, because it is a wonderful place. It is brilliant for the Cuban economy, lets hope it filters through to the ordinary folk and.........selfishly........the cigar factories.

Interesting that this new USA friendship with Cuba is occurring at a time when USA's relations with Russia has gone pear-shaped.

Now..........a cruise to Cuba anyone ?

Not while oppression still exists there. The regime would have to change and all would have to be free before I put any of my $$ there.

Do you really feel that the other islands you go to on a cruise are free and have a wonderful life. Know several people from some of these islands and believe me they are not living the good life. Cuba is more depressed than some but a lot are in bad shape and have governments that are not something we would put up with! Be the bigger person, put some money into Cuba and let the people see what free enterprise really is.

Do not fool yourself why this happened? Obama just filed in a void. What void? Russia is now having their economy gutted by oil prices. Putin can not fund his Ukraine project and his toy Cuba project at the same time. So, he disengaged from his toy to try to save the Russian's economy. Cuba needs cash so they had to come hat in hand to USA to keep the lights on.

This is all a good thing and it is time for it to happen. The way we have handled Cuba has made no sense because our sanctions have only stall growth in the Carribean. Cuba could easily have 5 to 8 ports of call and be a major growth area to USA, Florida and the cruise industry.

It should me known I have a real problem with Obama, but he is right this time!

Edited by CruiseHealing

HI all!

I would have to disagree about there being nothing to see in Cuba!

The island is 1200 miles long & very diverse. It's also like a time warp with all the cars from the '50s & some crumbling buildings. There are beautiful untouched beaches. I'm cruising around it for the 2nd time soon & have been there 6 times to all inclusives. I'm sure a lot of Americans would go & enjoy it if they could. Canadians have been flocking there for holidays for years so there must be something attracting them.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

There is a lot to be seen. It is just at the present, Americans are not allow to go out of Havana without special permission.

Do not fool yourself why this happened? Obama just filed in a void. What void? Russia is now having their economy gutted by oil prices. Putin can not fund his Ukraine project and his toy Cuba project at the same time. So, he disengaged from his toy to try to save the Russian's economy. Cuba needs cash so they had to come hat in hand to USA to keep the lights on.

This is all a good thing and it is time for it to happen. The way we have handled Cuba has made no sense because our sanctions have only stall growth in the Carribean. Cuba could easily have 5 to 8 ports of call and be a major growth area to USA, Florida and the cruise industry.

It should me known I have a real problem with Obama, but he is right this time!

Although I agree with some of your points, Russia hasn't been strongly involved with Cuba for many years. The disengagement was in 1989 and shortly thereafter with the dissolution of the Soviet Union. This is what was known as the "Special Period" in Cuba, where they were forced to go it on their own, which caused a good bit of hardship. There was been some easing of this in the last couple of years, but much of that had to do with oil and oil exploration, and you know how that is going...

Although I agree with some of your points, Russia hasn't been strongly involved with Cuba for many years. The disengagement was in 1989 and shortly thereafter with the dissolution of the Soviet Union. This is what was known as the "Special Period" in Cuba, where they were forced to go it on their own, which caused a good bit of hardship. There was been some easing of this in the last couple of years, but much of that had to do with oil and oil exploration, and you know how that is going...

You are right their relationships have really suffered over the years. I think the oil plunge was the final straw.

HI all!

I would have to disagree about there being nothing to see in Cuba!

The island is 1200 miles long & very diverse. It's also like a time warp with all the cars from the '50s & some crumbling buildings. There are beautiful untouched beaches. I'm cruising around it for the 2nd time soon & have been there 6 times to all inclusives. I'm sure a lot of Americans would go & enjoy it if they could. Canadians have been flocking there for holidays for years so there must be something attracting them.;)

Agree! Cuba is beautiful and the people are very friendly. Havana has great churches and is very historical. The all inclusive hotels have the most beautiful beaches.

The price of a vacation to Cuba is very inexpensive. If cruise ships start to visit , the prices will surely go up. So I vote ''no'' .

I think the Cuban people deserve a better lot in life than what they have had the past 5 decades. It would make me happy to visit Cuba and leave some tourism dollars there.

I don't think anyone would argue that Cuba still has a long way to go to provide democratic freedoms to its people, but this is a good first step.

I'm for anything that improves the condition of mankind. I see this move today as a step in that direction. I think that would be consistent with what most of us consider to be American values.

Apparently American financial markets think so too. Carnival's stock was up $1.49 a share today on the news.

Hi again!

Just wanted to mention there is a ship sailing around Cuba. It's the Louis Cristal (was NCL Leeward) & it's a nice little ship (1200 pax).

We were on it in January & there were some Americans that got on at Montego Bay. We're doing it again in Feb. as there's lots I still want to see.

Here's the itinerary for you Canadians who might be interested. All charges in CAD.:D

http://www.yourcubacruise.com/yourtrip.aspx