Galveston Question - Has anyone ever done this before?

Birms38

We are driving down to Galveston from Oklahoma and usually book a hotel the night before we leave on a cruise. Well this time we are both working on the day we leave OK so it is putting us getting into Galveston really late. I am thinking of not spending the $$ for a hotel because we will only be there for a few hours and just camping out in our Jeep basically (which has a mattress that is custom made for it and comfy) for the few hours of sleep we would get.

Has anyone done this before and if so, where would be a good, safe place to stay? It would be nice to have access to a bathroom to tidy up the next day. We are thinking Walmart parking lot, I even did look into the state park there, but they are all booked up. Are there any other camping facility's that might not be listed on the web that someone may know about, the ones that I have found require a two night stay and the cost for two days would be the cost of a hotel for one night. But then again if I found a camping facility would they let us check in as late as midnight or later? Thanks!

From the Galveston Island Beach Patrol:

"Where can I camp on Galveston Island?

Camping on all Galveston beaches is prohibited from 12am-5am. Additionally, there is no overnight parking allowed on Seawall Blvd. The only designated place to camp on Galveston Island is at the Galveston Island State Park. For information regarding camping and reservations, visit the State Park’s website."

Please don't even consider Walmart or any other business parking lot.

Why not find an inexpensive motel on the route down from OK? Get up early and drive on down to the island clean and refreshed.

From the Galveston Island Beach Patrol:

"Where can I camp on Galveston Island?

Camping on all Galveston beaches is prohibited from 12am-5am. Additionally, there is no overnight parking allowed on Seawall Blvd. The only designated place to camp on Galveston Island is at the Galveston Island State Park. For information regarding camping and reservations, visit the State Park’s website."

Please don't even consider Walmart or any other business parking lot.

Why not find an inexpensive motel on the route down from OK? Get up early and drive on down to the island clean and refreshed.

I know for a fact that Walmart allows overnight parking for travelers, or at least in our area they do, so I would assume that it would be allowed in Galveston also. Guess I could call and ask. I thought there were some beaches that did allow over night camping, maybe not right there on the Seawall but further down, but I really didn't want to be on the beach and have to deal with the sand. Already visited the State Parks website and they have no spots left. Didn't want to spend the $$ for a hotel - guess we will figure it out, who knows we may not be there until early morning and it may be time for breakfast by then. :)

There is a new Buccees right on 45 a little bit before you get to Galveston. Stop and REST there....

lol

Thank you, I forgot about that place. I will have to see if they allow overnight parking.

It looks like Walmart is out, from what I can find they do not allow overnight parking in the parking lot. But its a game of chance, some say they have been asked to leave by security and some say they have stayed there several times and never had a problem. I can see why they wouldn't, I'm sure there would be all kinds parking there if it were allowed, because of Galveston being a tourist community. So who knows! We may just find ourselves driving around all night or hitting all the 24hr fast food places...lol

Thank you, I forgot about that place. I will have to see if they allow overnight parking.

It looks like Walmart is out, from what I can find they do not allow overnight parking in the parking lot. But its a game of chance, some say they have been asked to leave by security and some say they have stayed there several times and never had a problem. I can see why they wouldn't, I'm sure there would be all kinds parking there if it were allowed, because of Galveston being a tourist community. So who knows! We may just find ourselves driving around all night or hitting all the 24hr fast food places...lol

Just so you know, the Walmart parking lot in Galveston is full of vagrants, beggars etc. They do not hesitate to approach. Have fun.

There are several RV campgrounds west of the Seawall that offer "camping" in cars, recreational trailers, etc. That offer hookups, playground, nice restrooms with showers, pool, etc. You should be able to find a spot in one of those. I stayed there with a friend and her kids two summers ago in their borrowed camper and it was very clean and safe. The kids ran around the property way past dark and we didn't have to worry about them. We swam in the pool at dusk and didn't get bothered by mosquitos. Sorry but I can not remember the name of the campground as I didn't pay. My friend is in China on extended holiday or I would ask her.

Good luck finding the right place. Sounds like a fun and clever idea!

I followed my advice and Googled RV parks Galveston, TX and here is the link to a website with lots of options that should work.http://www.galveston.com/rvpark/

Edited by sandinmyshoes
Added Google search

Just a heads up. I35E from Denton down through Dallas is under construction. They are doing work at night and have been closing lanes. So plan on some more time. Construction expected through 2017

Edited by Stevepse

• 1 month later...