Cuba Reforms Developing - Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

falkcor

Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

• Yes - I would book an itinerary just to sail to Cuba
    • Maybe - I wouldn't mind, but wouldn't book just to sail to Cuba
    • No - I have no interest in sailing to Cuba and wouldn't book an itinerary that did

There's been word of some extensive reforms and normalization of relations between the US and Cuba this morning.

Wednesday's announcement that the U.S. will move toward restoring diplomatic ties with Cuba will also make it easier for Americans to travel to Cuba and do business with the Cuban people by extending general licenses, officials said. While the more liberal travel restrictions won't allow for tourism, they will permit greater American travel to the island.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/17/politics/cuba-alan-gross-deal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

As noted, while this won't allow for immediate tourism to the island, this is a large step toward normalization of relations and could lead the way to this happening in the future.

So, would you want Carnival to sail to Cuba when / if this becomes an option?

I would be a little concerned of being detained for no reason. Sure they would probably not do stuff like that but who knows. On the other hand its probably just as likely as some of the other places Carnival visits. That is why I voted maybe.

I would doubt Carnival would go there on the get go for tourism. Most likely hold out for a separate cruise port to be developed. Like Bulldog says...little to see or do at present. I certainly wouldn't look forward to a reenactment of the Venceremos Brigade excursion to the sugar cane fields.:eek:

HI all!

I would have to disagree about there being nothing to see in Cuba!

The island is 1200 miles long & very diverse. It's also like a time warp with all the cars from the '50s & some crumbling buildings. There are beautiful untouched beaches. I'm cruising around it for the 2nd time soon & have been there 6 times to all inclusives. I'm sure a lot of Americans would go & enjoy it if they could. Canadians have been flocking there for holidays for years so there must be something attracting them.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

There's been word of some extensive reforms and normalization of relations between the US and Cuba this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/17/politics/cuba-alan-gross-deal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

As noted, while this won't allow for immediate tourism to the island, this is a large step toward normalization of relations and could lead the way to this happening in the future.

So, would you want Carnival to sail to Cuba when / if this becomes an option?

Not while oppression still exists there. The regime would have to change and all would have to be free before I put any of my $$ there.

I would doubt Carnival would go there on the get go for tourism. Most likely hold out for a separate cruise port to be developed. Like Bulldog says...little to see or do at present. I certainly wouldn't look forward to a reenactment of the Venceremos Brigade excursion to the sugar cane fields.:eek:

i bet they would develop their own port in time.

i seem to remember some discussion saying there wouldn't be facilities at present for docking the mega-sized ships.

and regardless, i'm sure they would want their own facilities akin to mahogany bay, grand turk and the other cruise-company-developed facilities.

Not while oppression still exists there. The regime would have to change and all would have to be free before I put any of my $$ there.

i assumed there would be some / many that feel the same way you do - and was curious what percentage of carnival cruisers feel the same, which is definitely valid.

I imagine many exilees would agree with you.

People want to visit a place some risk their lives to escape. Go figure.

I have many personal friends who left everything behind, including other family members, when Castro took over. They most certainly will back up your statement.

Being Canadian, I can already take a land vacation in Cuba, but somehow have not managed to do that yet. A visit to Cuba is on my bucket list, but it would be nice to get a glimpse of it by visiting on a cruise. No way you can see much in just a few hours, but I would be very interested in a cruise if it stopped in Cuba.

I've been wanting to go to Cuba for ages now!! There's a great music festival there I'd love to attend! I think we are the only western country that does not allow its citizens to visit!! The educational tours that go there now that we can use are very expensive so I am hoping opening up freer lines of communication will also bring down prices!!