Royal Caribbean to Sell Legend of the Seas

Just got this on facebook

Dear Guests and Friends,

We would like to inform you Royal Caribbean has entered into an agreement to sell Legend of the Seas in 2017.

Regrettably, the sale of Legend of the Seas will result in the cancellation of five of her Brisbane departures, while redeploying a sixth cruise to bring forward her repositioning from Brisbane to Asia. The 20 February 2017 departure will now see the ship reposition to Singapore over 11 nights, with overnights in Cairns and Darwin. This will mark Legend of the Seas’ final Australian sailing as she repositions to Europe for delivery to her new owner.

Rhapsody of the Seas, will transition from New Jersey to Europe in order to undertake a range of like European itineraries. Vision of the Seas will then transition to Cape Liberty, New Jersey, where she will undertake four like itineraries to those planned for Rhapsody of the Seas.

Royal Caribbean will assist affected guests in securing an alternative Royal Caribbean cruise or for those who would rather cancel; we will provide a full refund of any deposits paid.

For those who choose to re-book on to an alternate Royal Caribbean cruise, we will provide additional bonus onboard credits and we will be discussing hotel and flight arrangements with affected guests.

Guests who booked on cancelled Brisbane sailings, who choose to rebook on selected Sydney sailings are also eligible for a $300 pp credit towards flights.

If you are affected and have booked through a Travel Agent, unfortunately we do not have your contact details. Please contact your Travel Agent as they have important information around alternative options. If you have booked directly with us, we have emailed you with important information about your cruise.

As Legend of the Seas sale has just been announced we wanted to make everyone aware of these immediate changes.

We are truly sorry to disrupt our guests' holidays and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

145 Comments73 Shares

[/url]9797

Official Email from ROYAL...

"Over the years, Legend of the Seas® has entertained and indulged millions of cruisers in all corners of the world. In March 2017, this Royal Caribbean® favorite will make its final departure. But there's still time to get onboard for the ship's farewell run of Europe and South Pacific sailings.

To make the transition more seamless, we've added exciting new Europe and Transatlantic sailings onboard Rhapsody of the Seas® and Vision of the Seas®. The ancient monuments of Athens, the medieval walls of Dubrovnik, and relics of the Ottoman empire in Ephesus."

"Legend of the Seas farewell sailings beginning February 20, 3 unique itineraries from Brisbane to Singapore, Dubai to Barcelona."

"Rhapsody of the Seas stepping in on a European Adventure with 7 night Greek Isles, Croatia and more!"

"Vision of the Seas setting sail with unique Fall Foliage sailings and open jaws between Bayonne and Quebec."

BILL

Not personally affected but this sentence

"To make the transition more seamless, we've added exciting new Europe and Transatlantic sailings onboard Rhapsody of the Seas® and Vision of the Seas®. The ancient monuments of Athens, the medieval walls of Dubrovnik, and relics of the Ottoman empire in Ephesus."

:( More seamless except for the customers on Australian cruises!!!!! :(

News Release Issued: Jun 2, 2016 (3:00am EDT)

Royal Caribbean to Sell Legend of the Seas

MIAMI, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its cruise ship Legend of the Seas to Thomson Cruises in the spring of 2017.

"Since its inaugural sailing, Legend of the Seas has created many wonderful memories for hundreds of thousands of guests, and we expect this successful history to continue as she transitions to Thomson Cruises," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "While she will be missed, her transition supports Double-Double and our objective of moderate capacity growth."

Legend of the Seas' final sailing will commence on March 13, 2017, and all officers and crew will remain with the company and will be transferred to other vessels worldwide after the ship leaves the Royal Caribbean International fleet. This transaction will result in an immaterial gain which will be recognized upon delivery of the ship.

Legend of the Seas joined the Royal Caribbean International fleet in 1995, and was built by Chantier's de L'Atlantique, now STX France, in St. Nazaire, France. The 69,130-gross-registered-tons ship carries 1,832 guests (double occupancy) and 726 crew.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) is a global cruise vacation company that owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisières de France, as well as TUI Cruises through a 50 percent joint venture. Together, these six brands operate a combined total of 47 ships with an additional twelve on order. They operate diverse itineraries around the world that call on approximately 490 destinations on all seven continents. Additional information can be found on http://www.royalcaribbean.com, http://www.celebritycruises.com, http://www.pullmantur.es, http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com, http://www.cdfcroisieresdefrance.com, http://www.tuicruises.com or http://www.rclinvestor.com.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

For further information: Media Contact: Cynthia Martinez, 305-982-2458, cynthiamartinez@rccl.com; Investor Relations Contact: Carol Cabezas, 305-982-2625, ccabezas@rccl.com

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks for posting that. I wonder how many more Vision-class ships will have the same fate as Legend.

Unfortunately, I think all of them will go in the not too distant future. Not enough passenger capacity on them for the bean counters.

Edited by clarea

Unfortunately, I think all of them will go in the not too distant future. Not enough passenger capacity on them for the bean counters.

Both Legend and Splendour will be (was) about 21 years old when they departed the fleet. If the trend continues, we will see Vision (the "newest" in the class) leave in 2019/2020.

Obviously, there's a huge chance they won't follow that pattern, but I think it gives a decent estimate of when we'll be saying goodbye.

With that said, I'm thinking they'll keep two around a little longer for the Bahamas cruises, because Majesty's departure is also imminent.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Us too, booked for May Dubai to Venice.

Our TA was able to re-book us on the Mar 13 cruise - which is now a 13-day Dubai to Barcelona instead of Venice (we had a B2B Venice - Greek Islands cruise booked after Dubai :( No confirmation yet on price/itinerary. Fingers crossed we'll still see Petra...sigh

What on earth is going on at the top of Royal?

We've just seen the Harmony and Empress debacles caused by the quick buck chasing, sailing of the ships with fare payers on board before they were ready.

Now they sell one ship - Legend - but decide not to just impact the booked cruisers on that ship, but also to impact a whole bunch more booked cruisers on 2 further ships.

A total lack of consideration for their customers far and wide.

True. Richard Fain made a statement a few years ago during one of the earnings call that the company was looking to move out the Vision class. One Quantum class ship replaces two Vision class ships capacity wise plus they're less expensive to operate and an Oasis class replaces three Vision class ships. I expect at least one Vision class ship to be sold each year until all are out of the fleet.

Bigger and bigger and bigger still. :( I'm one who likes the smaller ships and am getting a bit annoyed at the industry wide trend of constant enlargement. I'd really like to see a new class below 100K gross tons, but I guess I can want in one hand........

Edited by DarthGrady

Sorry to hear she's leaving - Legend holds a special place in my heart. I celebrated my 40th early on-board her with my mom on her 2nd week of cruising (Alaska round-trip from Vancouver). She was (is) a beautiful ship. Captain was always walking around and would stop and chat to passengers. He loved talking about 'his' ship! (My mom was smitten:D). They gave each cabin a very nice hard covered book covering the "Vision of the Future" (Project Vision), the fleet in review, the stretching of Song of Norway and Nordic Prince, and the building of the Legend.

My mom also fell for the guy playing the piano in the Schooner Bar so we had to make that our last stop every night. Headliner act --- (I'm dating myself) -- Tom and Dick Smothers!

Edited by jaspercat

Just got this on facebook

Dear Guests and Friends,

We would like to inform you Royal Caribbean has entered into an agreement to sell Legend of the Seas in 2017.

Regrettably, the sale of Legend of the Seas will result in the cancellation of five of her Brisbane departures, while redeploying a sixth cruise to bring forward her repositioning from Brisbane to Asia. The 20 February 2017 departure will now see the ship reposition to Singapore over 11 nights, with overnights in Cairns and Darwin. This will mark Legend of the Seas’ final Australian sailing as she repositions to Europe for delivery to her new owner.

Rhapsody of the Seas, will transition from New Jersey to Europe in order to undertake a range of like European itineraries. Vision of the Seas will then transition to Cape Liberty, New Jersey, where she will undertake four like itineraries to those planned for Rhapsody of the Seas.

Royal Caribbean will assist affected guests in securing an alternative Royal Caribbean cruise or for those who would rather cancel; we will provide a full refund of any deposits paid.

For those who choose to re-book on to an alternate Royal Caribbean cruise, we will provide additional bonus onboard credits and we will be discussing hotel and flight arrangements with affected guests.

Guests who booked on cancelled Brisbane sailings, who choose to rebook on selected Sydney sailings are also eligible for a $300 pp credit towards flights.

If you are affected and have booked through a Travel Agent, unfortunately we do not have your contact details. Please contact your Travel Agent as they have important information around alternative options. If you have booked directly with us, we have emailed you with important information about your cruise.

As Legend of the Seas sale has just been announced we wanted to make everyone aware of these immediate changes.

We are truly sorry to disrupt our guests' holidays and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

145 Comments73 Shares

[/url]9797

Lots of Oasis class coming.

Enjoyed my cruise on the ship, but the sale was inevitable.

Big ships, more passengers, fewer port selections, cruise line built enclaves are the wave of the future and the Vision class does not fit the brand image anymore.

Just try and book on any of the suggested cruises that RCCI mentioned and you are out of luck!

They are offering $300 for airfares to connect with a cruise they suggested, and trying to get a flight for that price is a joke! And a measly US100 pp obc!

We have loved RCCI for years, but for slamming the door in our faces at 5.30pm with a generic email, that made booking anything else impossible at that time, and not being able to get on the phones to them today, is really bad form!

Its the passengers, that helped RCCI become the star that they were in the Aussie cruise market, and now unless you are prepared to fly to Sydney and cruise on a monster ship, its' the passengers that will leave them in droves!

Due to our employment, we have to request holidays 12 months in advance, so looks like cruising is out, ex Brisbane for a long while yet!

Farewell RCCI!

Lots of Oasis class coming.

Agreed, and also Quantum class. Economy of scale is what it is all about, along with having folks think that not being on a ship is a good idea; and for many that works. Floating resort, amusement park, shopping mall for the mass market works best. The ports of call become secondary.