Vista question - What did you bring that was most helpful?

TropicalDuo

My 1st cruise I packed all this extra stuff. Didn't use any of it. Next couple of cruises packed about half of it. Now I don't pack any of it.

I carry an extra $25 for incidentals. If something comes up I get it from the sundry store on board the ship or while in port. Haven't used the $25 yet.

My cabin on Vista had two USB ports for charging electronics. You probably won't need the power strip unless you need power for a lot of other things at the same time. The room lights had a timer that will turn everything off unless there is a card in the slot. I used an old gift card and just left it there the entire cruise. There was a little nightlight on the wall near the bathroom door and the sign about life jackets was glow in the dark, so it was never completely dark in the cabin even though it was an interior. There is a clock on the phone. We used our phone for a wake up alarm. Just be careful if you change time zones. Your phone may automatically change but the ship might not. We stayed in the same time zone on our southern Caribbean trip so no problems then.

I took everything on your list and didn't use any of it. I didn't need the hooks because there were only two of us and not much to hang up. The Carnival Hub app lists everything that is going on and you can add things to your favorites list. You'll get a notification when things on the list are due to happen. Just be sure that you have the most recent app. I downloaded it a few months before the cruise and when I tried to use the chat feature, it wouldn't work until I updated the app.

The only other thing that I wouldn't travel without is my first aid kit. It doesn't take up much space and isn't very heavy. You can get everything in it on board and in port, but at a much higher cost. I take it on land trips too. It's handy to have everything in one place. It contains Tylenol, ibuprofen, decongestant, non-sedating antihistamine (like Zyrtrec), anti-diarrheal (like Imodium), Pepto pills, TUMS, sea sickness pills (like Bonine), band aids, hydrocortisone cream and antibiotic cream. For cruises I add sun screen and aloe lotion for when I forget to reapply the sunscreen.

Don't forget to plan to have a good trip and then follow your plan.

I take of cruise documents showing what you purchased from the Fun Shop. I also pack a tray that my husband can use to bring me back breakfast to eat on the balcony. (He gets up before me and has breakfast and then brings my breakfast to the cabin.)

Order room service the first evening and then keep the tray. I know, sneaky but I try to keep my luggage to a minimum.

I am of the less is more philosophy. I take exactly what I would take on any land based vacation - air freshener, tablet, speaker, 3 part outlet, headphones etc. The only additions for the cruise are lanyards for our cards, a command hook to hang them on, and clothes pins for the line in the shower (things dry better this way than thrown over or strung on the line). We can travel with each of us having a 22" roller and a backpack and go easily for 10 days.

We put the dirties in the bottom of a closet or in a suit case under the bed. We both have hanging toiletry bags, so that takes the place of the shoe holder etc. I tried or thought about all the other suggested items on here and I have found they just aren't necessary for us.

I am of the less is more philosophy. I take exactly what I would take on any land based vacation - air freshener, tablet, speaker, 3 part outlet, headphones etc. The only additions for the cruise are lanyards for our cards, a command hook to hang them on, and clothes pins for the line in the shower (things dry better this way than thrown over or strung on the line). We can travel with each of us having a 22" roller and a backpack and go easily for 10 days.

We put the dirties in the bottom of a closet or in a suit case under the bed. We both have hanging toiletry bags, so that takes the place of the shoe holder etc. I tried or thought about all the other suggested items on here and I have found they just aren't necessary for us.

Clothes pins are a great idea! Thank you.

Sailing on the Vista in April. Trying to purchase things I will need on the cruise. I have seen a lot of packing lists on the internet.

Did anyone bring the following items and find them helpful:

•  
  • Magnetic hooks (I read that the walls of the staterooms are metal and these come in handy for hanging up beach towels, etc.)

• Powerstrip (I actually purchased an adapter that plugs in and has 3 outlets on it and also has a night light attached.) How many outlets are in a stateroom?

• Masking tape / duck tape (I can't imagine needing this on a cruise??)

• Pen, Highlighter, Sticky notes, pad of paper (I can imagine using some of this, like if I wanted to leave a note for our room steward for example)

• Over the door shoe holder (we are only two people so I have decided to forgo this - it looks like there is a lot of shelves in the bathroom for toiletries)

• Anything else you found helpful?

Also I have bought some supplies to make a cool door sign. What should I use to hang the sign? Will magnetic hooks work or should I pick up some Command hooks?

Thanks!

Bought a small pop up hamper at dollar general. Also clips for chairs to hold towels in place. I take all that you mentioned. The over the door shoe holder is great for just putting odds and ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I LOVE my magnetic hooks and clips, cuts down on clutter in the drawers for me. I don't think the hooks are strong enough for hanging wet towels but have never tried it.

I have an alternative to a power strip with several USB ports since I'm just charging my phone and iPad

Never have brought tape on any vacation and never missed it, but some swear by it :)

I always like to have pens & highlighters but leave notes for the room steward on the Carnival note paper provided.

I have never taken an over-the-door shoe hanger but I have separate smaller hanging bags for toiletries and jewelry where all the compartments zip closed.

I take supplements and AM/PM meds, so I either use tiny baggies (I have a ton of them from jewelry-making supplies) or an AM/PM pill organizer.

I have a plastic folder with several compartments that I use for my boarding pass and other paperwork (confirmation of pre-purchased items, hotel info, excursion info, flight info), and it also has pockets for pens and post-its.

I take a clutch-style wallet for my cash and gift-cards separate from my regular wallet, and organize the money by denomination. I usually use one that can double as an evening bag (and my phone fits in it). I have a collection of lovely evening bags that do not fit my phone :mad:

It's a good idea to put a copy of your luggage tag inside every piece of checked luggage. I have a permanent regular luggage tag inside each of my suitcases but it makes sense to put a copy of your cruise luggage tag inside as well. And add a copy of your passport!

I use a KYSS bag for port visits when I know I will need to leave my bag unattended (at a beach or on a boat excursion), since they come with a chain and security lock. I've written them to suggest a backpack version and they said they're working on it! :D

Like idea of putting copy of luggage tag in suitcase but don’t think I would put copy of passport in there.

Bought a small pop up hamper at dollar general. Also clips for chairs to hold towels in place. I take all that you mentioned. The over the door shoe holder is great for just putting odds and ends.

Actually it was dollar tree

I always have a clock - I know lots of people like to use their phones but I like it under the tv so that when I wake up at night I just have to look up and see the time.

I also go to the bank and get about 40 singles and 6 fives - good for tips for taxi's, porters and room service.

Beach towels? Do cruise ships provide these? If so, how do you get all the sand out of them before returning to cabin (We're cruising Hawaii)? Recommendation on mats that we might pick up cheap when we're there and then just throw away as we leave?

They launder the provided beach towels just like your bath towels.

Beach resorts have lounge chairs, mats not needed.

• 2 months later...
Sailing on the Vista in April. Trying to purchase things I will need on the cruise. I have seen a lot of packing lists on the internet.

Did anyone bring the following items and find them helpful:

• Magnetic hooks (I read that the walls of the staterooms are metal and these come in handy for hanging up beach towels, etc.)
  • Powerstrip (I actually purchased an adapter that plugs in and has 3 outlets on it and also has a night light attached.) How many outlets are in a stateroom?
  • Masking tape / duck tape (I can't imagine needing this on a cruise??)
  • Pen, Highlighter, Sticky notes, pad of paper (I can imagine using some of this, like if I wanted to leave a note for our room steward for example)
  • Over the door shoe holder (we are only two people so I have decided to forgo this - it looks like there is a lot of shelves in the bathroom for toiletries)
  • Anything else you found helpful?

Also I have bought some supplies to make a cool door sign. What should I use to hang the sign? Will magnetic hooks work or should I pick up some Command hooks?

Thanks!

I bring a magnetic clip that I can hang up may spread sheet/cruise papers, etc, don't bring a power strip that will be taken but an adapter is ok. We always bring over the door hold to hold chair clips, pens, sharpies, etc. Have never brought making tape/duct tape in 30 cruises, yes to sticky notes to leave not for cabin steward, used to do door sign, don't any more. Enjoy your cruise

I do bring a power strip and sticky notes. I don't bring the shoe holder anymore. One kind of odd thing I do bring....a pop up mesh hamper that I got at the dollar store. I just like having a place for my dirty laundry. I know some people use their empty suitcases for that, but this is easier for me. At the end of the cruise I bag it up and put it in my suitcase.

I've ditched the shoe holder that I once brought every single time. I now pack less crap and bring more money. You'll want to budget in a good amount of cash for the extra-cost items like the Imax and Thrill theaters. We saw 4 movies on the Vista in the Imax theater and really enjoyed all of them.

As for the rest of your list, I brought some of that on my first few cruises and now don't bring any of it. I guess my packing has gotten down to a science.

ETA: Since we're showing lists, I created this Master Packing List a month or so ago. I use it for any trip I take and just edit it to how I want it. My original is an Excel spreadsheet.

IMAX and Thrill .... do you have to pay cash? Or can you charge to your sail and sign card?

Thanks!

I put several large strips of duct tape on the inside of our suitcases. Doesn't take up any spaces ... and it's there if we do need it.

I always carry duct tape on every trip I take and have used it for a variety of things—even emergency hem repair.

I have a hard piece of plastic about the size of a credit card (possibly an old card would work) and the width of the tape. Then I unroll the tape and wrap it around the card several times. Only takes up the space of about 2-3 credit cards.

Perfect tips! I even learned a new one about the room service tray. Agree that the Vista has the new light system so definitely bring an old gift card or room key with a magnetic strip to leave in the holder for the lights. Also wine opener if you bring wine on board. And agree with previous poster Lazebones as I was on that extended Hurricane Irma cruise. Pack meds like you'll be gone an extra week!

I always have a first aid kit-

I followed the advice of a fellow cruiser, and bought a 9x12x1 inch craft box (with all the adjustable compartments). I use that for my first aid kit, and just fill up the compartments with stuff I need. Each time I travel it's easy to see at a glance any that I need to replenish.

OTC meds- bring a couple of each, not the whole box...

Here's what I have in the first aid kit:

Pain meds- I bring Advil & Tylenol

Antacids

Allergy medication

bandaids (a few different sizes)

antibiotic ointment

alcohol wipes

dental floss (miniature size from dentist)

miniature tube of toothpaste

cotton balls- 2 or 3

Q tips

small pair of scissors

2 individual packets of Bounce wipes

individual size packets bug wipes (Bug Off)

Again, I only bring a few of each item, and everything fits in the travel container which allows me to keep everything together. I use this all the time when I travel, whether it's on work trips, cruises or family vacations. it allows me to fill as needed, save space over bringing everything in its original packaging and we all know exactly where to find all that stuff.

You can easily adjust any items that you normally would use more of (DH will often use antacids more when cruising, since we tend to overindulge!) or substitute your own items that are small enough to fit in the kit.

My must haves include poopourri for the bathroom (really works well). A small motion detector light also for the bathroom (brighter than a tea light and turns on automatically when needed). I take a battery operated, small fan for beside my bed and magnetc clips for hanging things up. The clips work for papers as well as clothing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk