Bahamas destinations Carnival or Royal itinerary

Buckeyehunter007

Planning first Bahamas cruise, was wondering if anyone who has taken a cruise on both Carnival Pride, and Royal Grandeur of the Seas (I would be leaving from Baltimore). I have read some reviews comparing the ships, but which has the better itinerary? I have already been to Charleston, and Orlando but maybe you prefer to stop there on your cruise versus 2 days at Sea with Carnival. This will be a consideration without cost in mind for this question the cost will be the same regardless of choice. Which cruise line has better stops in the Bahamas?

Would you rather go to (Carnival options):

(Two days at sea on the way down regardless of choice)

1) Princess Cays, Nassau, Freeport

2) Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Freeport

3) Grand Turk, Princess Cays, Freeport

Royal:

(1 day at sea, Charleston, and Orlando stops)

4) Grand Bahama, Nassau, Cococay Bahamas

I would do either Carnival option 2 or 3...Nassau isn't my favorite port at all. The private islands are a lovely way to spend a beach day.

Just so you know...you will NOT stop in Orlando! It's land-locked and in the center of the state. You will port in Port Canaveral and Orlando is about an hours drive away. Total waste of time to try and go to Orlando.

DW and I love Grand Turk and HMC so #2 would be my choice. One thing to think about though, HMC is a tender port and its not too unusual for the ship to have to skip anchoring there due to unfavorable wind and / or sea conditions. Haven't been to Princess Cay so can't comment on that.

Planning first Bahamas cruise, was wondering if anyone who has taken a cruise on both Carnival Pride, and Royal Grandeur of the Seas (I would be leaving from Baltimore). I have read some reviews comparing the ships, but which has the better itinerary? I have already been to Charleston, and Orlando but maybe you prefer to stop there on your cruise versus 2 days at Sea with Carnival. This will be a consideration without cost in mind for this question the cost will be the same regardless of choice. Which cruise line has better stops in the Bahamas?

Would you rather go to (Carnival options):

(Two days at sea on the way down regardless of choice)

1) Princess Cays, Nassau, Freeport

2) Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Freeport

3) Grand Turk, Princess Cays, Freeport

Royal:

(1 day at sea, Charleston, and Orlando stops)

4) Grand Bahama, Nassau, Cococay Bahamas

I'd opt for any with the two sea days.

I agree with above; sea days are great.

The "orlando" stop is very meh. like someone said, it's really cape Canaveral. Unlike most ports, you can't get off the ship and walk somewhere. You have to take some kind of motor vehicle due to the dock location. When I say you can't walk I am being very literal, you're not allowed to walk on the roads that would take you to a beach - learned by trying to google maps the dock to cocoa beach FL. Kennedy Space Center might be fun once. I stayed on the boat when I had a stop there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done an 8 day on Grandeur to Port Canaveral, Key West, Nassau and CoCo Cay as well as a 7 day on Pride to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport. I enjoyed both, but have booked the Pride for a 2nd time next September. While IMO Freeport is just meh (we may just stay on the ship this time) we loved Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. I think the extra stop we got in Key West on our Grandeur cruise really helped make that particular itinerary better, and you don't seem to have that option. And while we enjoyed both ships, we felt there was a little more to do (for us anyway) on Pride during sea days. You'll have a great time whichever you pick, but as many have stated, I'd personally go with #2 (as evidenced by our booking in Sept 18 :cool:)