Pinnacle Grill Question

dee2673

This may be a silly question. But I’m asking anyway, lol. Do the specialty restaurants ever sell out? We are cruising on The Eurodam ( 60 days and counting!!) and have a bunch of OBC. We like to use some it to book the Tamarind, the PG and maybe Sel de Mer( trying to talk DH into it). I know Sel deMer may sell out but how about the other two. We would run to the Neptune Lounge as soon as we’re aboard to book a night at tamarind and maybe 2 at PG. so have you ever been on a cruise and not been able to get a table?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may be a silly question. But I’m asking anyway, lol. Do the specialty restaurants ever sell out? We are cruising on The Eurodam ( 60 days and counting!!) and have a bunch of OBC. We like to use some it to book the Tamarind, the PG and maybe Sel de Mer( trying to talk DH into it). I know Sel deMer may sell out but how about the other two. We would run to the Neptune Lounge as soon as we’re aboard to book a night at tamarind and maybe 2 at PG. so have you ever been on a cruise and not been able to get a table?

Only when I tried to get lunch reservations in the Pinnacle after boarding. Not to say it would never happen, but for dinners we've almost always booked after boarding and have had no problem to get a reservation. If you book right after you board I really don't think you would have any problem at all.

We were just on the Eurodam for 14 days, b2b. We dined at the Specialty Restaurants nine (9) times including Sel de Mer, Never sold out !

In fact I was surprised how few people dined at the Specialty Venues. Sel de Mer, when we left at 7:30 pm only 7-8 tables taken; PG on first night only 5 tables taken at 7 pm. Though we dined at 5:30 pm every time, never crowded.

Thank you both for your fast replies. I only have 60 days to obsess so this helps. Lol. We booked an excursion that was about to be sold out and got a clamshell for HMC, which I am not over. Haven’t been there since 1998. I didn’t want to spend too much more ahead if I could help it. Thanks again

Thank you both for your fast replies. I only have 60 days to obsess so this helps. Lol. We booked an excursion that was about to be sold out and got a clamshell for HMC, which I am not over. Haven’t been there since 1998. I didn’t want to spend too much more ahead if I could help it. Thanks again

Our PG on the P'dam was fantastic. I had booked several but it was so good I asked about booking on the 2nd day of our cruise - all that was left was only a 9 pm reservation on 2 nights. I can do late dining but that is too late for me ;) :hearteyes: That was a 30 day cruise.

So, yes, it can be sold out and also openings depending on how flexible you are.

Since then, I have booked in advance.

Our PG on the P'dam was fantastic. I had booked several but it was so good I asked about booking on the 2nd day of our cruise - all that was left was only a 9 pm reservation on 2 nights. I can do late dining but that is too late for me ;) :hearteyes: That was a 30 day cruise.

So, yes, it can be sold out and also openings depending on how flexible you are.

Since then, I have booked in advance.

I agree that it may be a problem on a smaller ship but on the Eurodam the PG is huge. On our two 7 day cruises there seemed to be no hurry for passengers to book. The two nights at the Sel de Mer were empty.

I had always booked these restaurants in advance but never again. It took almost an act of Congress to get back the proper credits. We dined at the PG five times, one was the Sel de Mer. They was 40 separate entries in the credit and debit columns of our cabin statement to reconcile the correct credits for dining at the PG and it was still wrong. (We are 5 star). After the cruise I made my own spreadsheet of the charges, emailed to HAL and took another week for HAL to correct.

Other than that the food and service at all Specialty restaurants were excellent (except Sel de Mer)

We are on the Westerdam in April. I’ve bought some dining packages but seem to have pay again when I try to book PG. As I will have access to the concierge in the Neptune Lounge will they be able to book even if the restaurants are busy?

We are on the Westerdam in April. I’ve bought some dining packages but seem to have pay again when I try to book PG. As I will have access to the concierge in the Neptune Lounge will they be able to book even if the restaurants are busy?

The concierge has full acces to the bookings.

Defnitely see them.

If you have bought dining packages, you don't have to pay again. There will be reservations in your room when you board. If you don't like the times or dates, see if the concierge can help.

Yes -- both Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam were completely sold out by the time ship sailed for the Pinnacle Grill. And the Neptune Lounge concierges were not able to get us anything.

Mainly because of all the promotions HAL had -- Explore4, Dine-Around, etc.

Only once I had forgotten to pre-book the specialty restaurants. Learned my lesson and since then have booked all specialty restaurants as soon as possible.

Good points about Explorer 4 and other promotions and there impact on the PG. But on our Eurodam cruise in Nov/Dec 2017, other restaurants were not crowded and very few dined on the night of Sel de Mer.

I believe the the number of people in the specialty restaurant maybe a function of length of cruise and number of frequent HAL cruisers. I attended both mariner medal ceremonies on the Eurodam and there was no more than 8-10 passengers with 5 star and less than 50 with 4 star. There were two Presidental mariners with +1,700 days. Passengers were just unwilling to spend $35 per person.

We are on an 11 day cruise that starts Valentine's Day. And of course, the PG is booked for the 14th. We're not too particular about when we go, we just want to be able to go at least once. We were considering the dine around pakage..and are still debating Sel De Mar(Me yes! him no)..I think we may just bite the bullet and book the PG and Tamarind once each. Canaletto, we can book onboard, if we want.

We are on an 11 day cruise that starts Valentine's Day. And of course, the PG is booked for the 14th. We're not too particular about when we go, we just want to be able to go at least once. We were considering the dine around pakage..and are still debating Sel De Mar(Me yes! him no)..I think we may just bite the bullet and book the PG and Tamarind once each. Canaletto, we can book onboard, if we want.

IMO you definitely should pre-book the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind as early as possible to insure that you get dinning times of your choice. I feel the same way about Sel de Mer, but realize that you are only 50% of that equation, so best start working on DH right now ... before SdM fills up. Also I suggest you give Canaletto a try early in your cruise so that if you like it (as much as we have) you'll be able to do it again at least once.

... does this guarantee that Pinnacle Grill on an 11-day cruise on Eurodam will be equally fantastic?

How in heavens name could anyone guarantee that?:confused::eek:

It's easy to cancel pre-booked PG reservations on board if you are not happy. We've done it if we weren't impressed.

It is possible to book ahead and then book when you get onboard and get the money paid ahead added to your refundable onboard credit. As someone posted above, it almost takes an act of Congress, but it is possible. I booked ahead because the date was important to us, and discovered when we got on board that the first night was 50% off, so I made the reservation directly with Pinacle Grill and told them it would mean shifting the paid reservation to an on-board reservation. The reply was to just make the new reservation and then deal with Guest Services. I went to guest services and they assured me they could do it and would: it would "show up tomorrow." It didn't. I went back. Once again, "it will show up tomorrow." It didn't. One more trip: "It will show up tomorrow." I said, I've been told that three times now, and I'd like to quit making trips to your desk to accomplish it. She went back in the computer area behind the service desk, was gone for a little while, and returned with it accomplished. It can be done. Maybe the concierge could have handled the refund more easily; I chose to do it myself.

At any rate, if the dates are really important to you, make the reservations and then fool with getting the credit given back: it goes into "refundable on board credit," not the non-refundable credit.

It is possible to book ahead and then book when you get onboard and get the money paid ahead added to your refundable onboard credit. As someone posted above, it almost takes an act of Congress, but it is possible. I booked ahead because the date was important to us, and discovered when we got on board that the first night was 50% off, so I made the reservation directly with Pinacle Grill and told them it would mean shifting the paid reservation to an on-board reservation. The reply was to just make the new reservation and then deal with Guest Services. I went to guest services and they assured me they could do it and would: it would "show up tomorrow." It didn't. I went back. Once again, "it will show up tomorrow." It didn't. One more trip: "It will show up tomorrow." I said, I've been told that three times now, and I'd like to quit making trips to your desk to accomplish it. She went back in the computer area behind the service desk, was gone for a little while, and returned with it accomplished. It can be done. Maybe the concierge could have handled the refund more easily; I chose to do it myself.

At any rate, if the dates are really important to you, make the reservations and then fool with getting the credit given back: it goes into "refundable on board credit," not the non-refundable credit.

Sorry but it is not worth the aggravation to me. Similar events happened to me 3 weeks ago. 3,4 and then 5 trips to Guest Services and then finally on the morning of disembarkation. I was told once again that I would get proper credit and had the GS Clerk sign his name to my final cabin statement. A week after I was home checked my credit card statement and still had not received proper credit. Called Accounting GS at HAL in Seattle, prepared an accounting spreadsheet of credits and debits and emailed to HAL. 10 days later I was finally notified by HAL that they would be issuing me the proper credit.

This is the problem as I see it. In the past we have pre booked all restaurants. This cruise we booked 9 out of 14 nights. We are 5 star; which entitled us to 4 free PG each (two separate bookings b2b). If HAL would allow 5 star Mariners to pre book PG without paying and 50% off all other restaurants this issue of getting proper credits on board would not be an issue.

Sorry but it is not worth the aggravation to me. Similar events happened to me 3 weeks ago. 3,4 and then 5 trips to Guest Services and then finally on the morning of disembarkation. I was told once again that I would get proper credit and had the GS Clerk sign his name to my final cabin statement. A week after I was home checked my credit card statement and still had not received proper credit. Called Accounting GS at HAL in Seattle, prepared an accounting spreadsheet of credits and debits and emailed to HAL. 10 days later I was finally notified by HAL that they would be issuing me the proper credit.

This is the problem as I see it. In the past we have pre booked all restaurants. This cruise we booked 9 out of 14 nights. We are 5 star; which entitled us to 4 free PG each (two separate bookings b2b). If HAL would allow 5 star Mariners to pre book PG without paying and 50% off all other restaurants this issue of getting proper credits on board would not be an issue.

Amen on getting the credits.

That would just make life so so simple :)

We were told that soon Mariner discounts will be applied when booking online. The system knows mariner status when logged in so shouldn't be rocket science.

My gut says we won't see it soon as applying discount when purchasing dinners is hard dollars to the bottom line. Discounts on board are OBC so would be HAL's actual cost of merchandise/services purchased.