Help with flight time...Dublin Ireland

Ashland

Just starting to look at return flights for our cruise out of Dublin (June 7, 2018)...Thoughts if an 11:00am might work....the ship returns into port at 5:30am...will arrange private transportation....but at this point it looks like that's one of the later flights to get us back to LAX. I prefer to use Delta for this roundtrip both outbound and return are via ATL.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2554526

Hi Ashland,

Please reference the link above. I asked the same question a while back and found out Delta requires a 4 hour check in for Dublin. We return on June 7th off the Eclipse and thought we'd make the Delta morning flight. After asking on this board and doing some research, we opted to stay an extra night and fly out on June 8th. The other consideration is Delta usually goes through several flight/schedule changes with flights this far in advance, and I'd be super bummed if they moved the flight earlier - then there would be no chance of making it the morning of the 7th.

Good luck!

On flights departing Ireland for the US, US immigration and customs is handled pre-departure, in Ireland. While it means your flight arrives in the US with no further checks needed, just as though it was a domestic flight, it does mean you need to allow more time at DUB. Likely this is the reason Delta has chosen to cut off check-in at the -4hour mark.

On flights departing Ireland for the US, US immigration and customs is handled pre-departure, in Ireland. While it means your flight arrives in the US with no further checks needed, just as though it was a domestic flight, it does mean you need to allow more time at DUB. Likely this is the reason Delta has chosen to cut off check-in at the -4hour mark.

We figured all that out when considering flights and dates, but appreciate your feedback, Meg. We'll stay one more night (darn it ;) ) and depart on June 8th ... there are some lovely hotels seaside to the north of Dublin and rather close to the airport for getting there early morning ... it's a win!

We figured all that out when considering flights and dates, but appreciate your feedback, Meg. We'll stay one more night (darn it ;) ) and depart on June 8th ... there are some lovely hotels seaside to the north of Dublin and rather close to the airport for getting there early morning ... it's a win!

Mind sharing what those hotels are?

Mind sharing what those hotels are?

As spanishlady mentioned, there is a plethora of hotels in the airport area (some with shuttles.)

We are deciding between the Grand Hotel Malahide or Portmarnock Hotel & Spa. Both are a 15 minute ride to the airport.

http://www.thegrand.ie/

https://www.portmarnock.com/

I haven't considered the hotel in Donabate, but will check the reviews for it:

http://www.watersidehousehotel.ie/

Since we're planning several days of touring prior to embarkation (including a 3 day Northern Ireland tour), I would prefer ending the trip with a relaxing day close to the airport and the sea shore. Will likely book a private tour of Malahide the morning of June 7th, then go to the hotel in the afternoon.

If you wish to contact me directly, my email is beach61 (at) cox (dot) net.

Sharon (and Tommy)

By the way Dublin airport is a BIG airport allow yourselves plenty of time .

I'll be there this time next week .

Interesting viewpoint. Terminal 2 at DUB, which is where US bound flights depart from, has 19 gates. Atlanta, on the other hand, has over 200 gates. Frankfurt has almost 150. Guess it all depends on what your threshold is for "big".

Since we're planning several days of touring prior to embarkation (including a 3 day Northern Ireland tour), y)

I was in Ireland for 2 weeks in October, for my preferences, I would never consider this length of touring, simply way too short. Especially if doing a tour. Ireland requires way more time in my opinion for Northern Ireland. It's a huge area.

Interesting viewpoint. Terminal 2 at DUB, which is where US bound flights depart from, has 19 gates. Atlanta, on the other hand, has over 200 gates. Frankfurt has almost 150. Guess it all depends on what your threshold is for "big".

I agree, I was just there last month and it is a small airport. I used both terminals with flights.

TIME is essential with returning to the US, my friend, who is a flight attendant, and is knows the way around, took 3 hours from entering the terminal to getting to the gate- with returning to the US. I was flying to Barcelona- on Ryan- which was fine for me. Of great value, I always am within their guidelines.

I was in Ireland for 2 weeks in October, for my preferences, I would never consider this length of touring, simply way too short. Especially if doing a tour. Ireland requires way more time in my opinion for Northern Ireland. It's a huge area.

Thank you for your input, BudgetQueen. Agreed our pre cruise touring is hardly enough to scratch the surface of Ireland. That said, my DH visited Ireland several years ago (in a previous relationship) and toured the West & South, so we are focusing our efforts on places he hasn't seen. Between travel time, land portion (Northern Ireland private tour plus a few days in Dublin) and cruise (10 days Ireland/Iceland), we'll be gone for 3 weeks. Pretty much maxes out the time we can be away.

Apologies for hijacking the thread ... back to the discussion of Dublin flight times :)