Conneciton times at PHL and EWR airports

Azulann

Being a Delta flyer for years and years, I will be flying on AA and UA for my upcoming trip in March/ April.

I got my flight schedule from Viking Air.

March 25: arriving from MSP on AA2110 to PHL at 9:33 am. Leaving on AA flight at 10:30 to SJU.

So I think this connection is doable if the orignall flight at 6am leaves on time.

Coming back from my TA cruise on April 12, I will be flying on UA from BCN to EWR(arriving at 1:45pm) to MSP(leaving at 3:29 pm)

I have one hour and 45 mintues to go through immigration and customs at Newark airport to make my connecting flight.

I again assume I get my bags and then walk them to the UA folks for reloading on my domestic flight.

I think that is doable and includes a quick trip to restroom on way to my gate ;)

Never been to either airport.

Any comments from those who fly these airlines and use these airports?

I think there's a not-low risk of misconnection for all. Granted the 6a flight out of MSP won't be delayed as the a/c probably was there overnight. Maybe EWR in the way back _might_ be doable if you have Global Entry.

Thanks for your honest thoughts.

Flying two days before my cruise. Will be monitoring the weather in MSP and PHL. Will down load a AA app and a United app on my phone in preparation. Also I will watch these flights like a hawk for any change by airlines before my day of departure. Will look at the airport map for both places too.

I do not have Gobal Entry. I do fly at least once a year out of the country and book my own flights

I have had TSA Pre-check on all my tickets with Delta for years, which is useless for these flights.

At Newark, do they have kiosks to do your own entry with your passport and then go through immigration line?

So if I miss my connection flight to a UA express flight at 3:29pm to MSP, I hope to still get home to MSP with my luggage on the same day... ugh!

What would you say would be a better connection time at EWR ?

There are more kiosks available. I saw a whole whack in HNL last week but avoided using them though the arrivals hall was empty in favour of using GE.

Of course their number and waiting time all depends on people knowing how to use them (or if they're actually working).

There is some though probably low chance of snow delay a MSP if de-icing is required and the a/c is slow in getting loaded and away.

EWR is where you have the greatest chance of getting hung up. Just hope the days you're flying are not busy travel days (accommodation will be on the next _available_ flight.(

"EWR is where you have the greatest chance of getting hung up. Just hope the days you're flying are not busy travel days (accommodation will be on the next _available_ flight.("

I agree. I did look at United flights for April12 and there is another non stop after the 3:29pm and then two other fights with one connection.

Well, I just hope the travel Gods are smiling that day.... in the meantime ,I will focus on the curise and the various excursion choices I have before me.

Thanks again.

EWR without Global Entry will not work. We have GE and made it off the plane and thru immigration in about 15 minutes. Then another 15 minutes to get our bags and walk out past the customs guy collecting our GE slips. That is amazingly quick. Without GE I doubt we would have made it through immigration in less than an hour. The one thing you need to check into with EWR is where your MSP flight departs from. Most UA international come into Terminal C now and that is where the UA mainline flights leave from but most of the UA Express flights leave from Terminal A so add 10 to 15 minutes to get from C to A and then there is re-screening whether on all international arrivals who are transiting. All of those 15 minutes add up at the end of the day. The risk of mis-connecting is high without Global Entry. With it you can make if the BCN to EWR is on time.

EWR without Global Entry will not work. We have GE and made it off the plane and thru immigration in about 15 minutes. Then another 15 minutes to get our bags and walk out past the customs guy collecting our GE slips. That is amazingly quick. Without GE I doubt we would have made it through immigration in less than an hour. The one thing you need to check into with EWR is where your MSP flight departs from. Most UA international come into Terminal C now and that is where the UA mainline flights leave from but most of the UA Express flights leave from Terminal A so add 10 to 15 minutes to get from C to A and then there is re-screening whether on all international arrivals who are transiting. All of those 15 minutes add up at the end of the day. The risk of mis-connecting is high without Global Entry. With it you can make if the BCN to EWR is on time.

Thanks for the additional information.

Just to be sure, if I need to go from Terminal C to A ,I will have to go through TSA security at Terminall A? Does EWR have a speedy train or how does one get from one terminal to another? I am used to the set up in ATL.

I do not think I can find out the gate for my connection flight until the day of travel.

I will wait a while and if the flight times do change, I can make a change on my part for free, if not, I will call Viking Air and reuqest to be put on the later UA flight to MSP and pay the change fee.

Thanks for the additional information.

Just to be sure, if I need to go from Terminal C to A ,I will have to go through TSA security at Terminall A? Does EWR have a speedy train or how does one get from one terminal to another? I am used to the set up in ATL.

I do not think I can find out the gate for my connection flight until the day of travel.

I will wait a while and if the flight times do change, I can make a change on my part for free, if not, I will call Viking Air and reuqest to be put on the later UA flight to MSP and pay the change fee.

EWR has a monorail that runs between the terminals. We’ve always just left or returned from there, so I can’t speak for making connections. The terminals are laid out on a crescent with A on one point and C on the other. C is exclusively United.

We have pretty much always gone through C, but recently I flew through A and now I know why people complain about EWR [emoji15]. A needs some serious updating, while C is quite modern and seems bigger. I don’t know if it is, but it seems that way.

Once you are in the terminal and past security (I’m fairly certain you have to do this again), there are motorized carts - don’t know what else to call them. I always thought they were for those who needed help walking the distances, but we recently had a last minute gate change that was quite far away. My cousin explained our predicament to the driver and he said “hop on!” He got us there much faster than we could have walked. So keep that in mind if you are pressed for time.

Have a good flight! You are on the Viking Sea TA at the end of March right? We are on the cruise right before that one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for more details about EWR. I do know about getting a cart if needed for many reasons[emoji846]

Yes, please keep the Viking Sea in good order, I will be sailing right after you[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is that intra-terminal train airside or landside? if it's landside, you gotta do the TSA theatre.

"Everyone" coming in from an international flight and connecting goes through the TSA farce. Well, I'll say I've always had to do it.

I don't travel without GE; it's saved time in so many cases. The kiosks for the general public and that passport app are only as good as the knowledge of the people trying to use them. With GE, I haven't had to wait to use a kiosk anywhere and I've been able to "skip the line" at Customs...

I looked at EWR to MSP flights on united's web site and it is a mix of RJs and mainline flights so it would be a crap shoot on A or C. That said, when you come in from an international flight in Newark, SFO, CLT, LAX and many other places if not every other, you have to reclaim your bags, clear immigration and customs and then be re-screened by TSA. I can't even venture a guess about which terminal is quicker but United does run a shuttle bus between the two terminals. In C it is next to gate 71 which is at the top/closest to the TSA check point in the pier on the far right as you face the piers. There is the AirTrain and it is fairly quick between terminals. If you need to go that route just follow the signs for the AirTrain back up to Level 2 and it is about an 7-8 minute ride depending on the crowds. As you come the Terminal C international arrivals area you are on the lowest level at baggage claim and there is a place to just drop your bags directly with UA before you head on to MSP. A few UA international flights do come into Terminal B but we were on the BCN flight last month and came into C. If you are going to do it, get Global Entry now....it does take some time to get processed and schedule your official interview but it is well worth the dollars, time and effort. Even my three year old granddaughter has it........Her 6 month old brother will get it next year when he is old enough to walk up and put his fingers down for prints.....

Mr. Click and slidergirl,

Thanks for your information about the layout of ERW and the benefits of GE.

I am checking into it. It costs $100. and I can do the interview at MSP which is about 5 minutes from home.

Meanwhile I did find out UA has a later non stop flight to MSP, if I miss the earlier one at EWR . Both are UA regional smaller planes.

Is that intra-terminal train airside or landside? if it's landside, you gotta do the TSA theatre.

"Everyone" coming in from an international flight and connecting goes through the TSA farce. Well, I'll say I've always had to do it.

I don't travel without GE; it's saved time in so many cases. The kiosks for the general public and that passport app are only as good as the knowledge of the people trying to use them. With GE, I haven't had to wait to use a kiosk anywhere and I've been able to "skip the line" at Customs...

The train is landside. (it also takes you to the NJ transit station).

Much depends on time of year for both airports. Had 6 hours to spare and barely made my flight. Had 2 hours planned and had plenty of time. I say this reluctantly but in my travels this year the problem of flight delays is getting worse -- with delays more often than not. The planes are so full flying that they don't get loaded as fast as they should and the planes get behind so the plan to "start loading" 25 minutes early ends up being starting loading procedure 5 minutes late hoping to make up time as you go. Sometimes you do sometimes not! Icing and rain and storms often means that the gate is still full when it is supposed to be open for your flight. I guess my preference is to leave as much time as I can. I often plan an overnight in the connecting city. I always arrive at least a day early for the cruise usually 3 or 4 to explore another city. And I always have the airline on my speed dial so that if something happens (last time was the shooting in FLL where you knew your flight was not going any time soon) so that rebooking by phone or on-line and figure out the travel insurance or rebooking fees later. Good luck.

Oh if you are getting off a cruise in NJ -- I think you should take the transfer or car service. It looks like just a short way (and it is) but the traffic design is awful! The last mile or so is a killer commute.

You have two options at EWR if you have to change terminals and flying UA. The airport run "AirTrain" that is outside security, downside you have to go thru security at your new terminal.

United runs a shuttle bus for ticketed passengers behind security but you stop at Terminal B on the way from/to C or A two times at concourse B1 and B3. Terminal B and C can handle international arrivals, though most are at C now. United only uses concourse A2 at TA.

The bus from C leaves from around Gate 81 if I remember, UA website should have this information, been awhile since I rode it.

The UA shuttle leaves from gate 71 to go to B and A, it is well marked, I even saw it last week as we walked down for our flight to Vegas.

If you are an international arrival, keep in mind that you will have to go through TSA at EWR. The exit from customs is outside the secure area.

If you are an international arrival, keep in mind that you will have to go through TSA at EWR. The exit from customs is outside the secure area.

Actually the reason one must go through security again after going through customs in the US, is because when you go through customs you have access to your bags.... which means there's an opportunity to move something to your carry on bag that isn't allowed in the passenger cabin. So the design of making you clear security after customs is intentional.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post my latest update with my United flights.

My flight from BCN has changed to leave at noon, instead of 10:45, arriving at EWR at 3pm.

They now put me on a later non stop flight to MSP at 8:00pm.

I have a connection time of 5 hrs... 2 hrs or more to get through immigration, customs, rechecking my bags etc... so 3 hrs to have a nice meal in the airport and relax. Any suggestions ?

The travel gods and United are working in my favor so far...:cool: