Organic Food

Hmm. I don't know. But considering the large bulk quantities that they must purchase their supplies in and the rather high cost organic items are usually sold at versus non-organic, I would tend to doubt it. It would cut too much into their bottom line.

My ds, soon to be 3, is allergic to alot of the common regular foods and drinks with colorings and dyes...so we have been feeding him primarily organic. I got nervous when there were recent threads about not bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard, so I called to ask about organic options. The rep. at Special Needs told me that RCCL doesn't offer organic foods or drinks, so we had to add the necessity to our reservation so that we can bring some things for my ds onboard (organic juices, treats and snacks, etc). They did say that his MDR meals can be prepared as requested though, which is fine for chicken breast, pastas, etc.

After several RCCL cruises (and several other lines), I've never seen any food item labeled as having been organically grown. Also, be aware that the juices on RCCL (and other cruise lines) are not 100% juice; they're a juice blend, which does include dyes and preservatives, as well as assorted added sugars. This includes the orange and apple "juices" that are available free of charge at breakfast. You can always ask to see the carton in which the drink or food was packaged (within reason for foods- good for yogurts, canned fruits, etc that are simply emptied into larger serving dishes for the buffets).

For someone with allergies, I suggest bringing as much as you can carry, especially for drinks, snacks, & a basic back-up protein source for shore excursions! DD could eat nuts and some granola bars- I always had some with me for shore excursions.

I eat healthy/organic food at home and have come to grips with the fact that I can't necessarily stick to that diet on vacations. But if you do your homework, you can find out what foods are best to avoid if not organic.

• 2 years later...
My ds, soon to be 3, is allergic to alot of the common regular foods and drinks with colorings and dyes...so we have been feeding him primarily organic. I got nervous when there were recent threads about not bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard, so I called to ask about organic options. The rep. at Special Needs told me that RCCL doesn't offer organic foods or drinks, so we had to add the necessity to our reservation so that we can bring some things for my ds onboard (organic juices, treats and snacks, etc). They did say that his MDR meals can be prepared as requested though, which is fine for chicken breast, pastas, etc.

Where did you wind up cursing and on what cruise line?

About a year ago I too got into eating right and choosing organic and avoiding bad ingredients. However I recognize that I can't always do that when eating out or on vacation. However I do sort of recall some organic ingredients on the menu of 150 CP or somewhere on the cruise. Maybe I'm imagining it though!

Archived