Paul Gauguin vs Windstar

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:23 PM.
#21
Toronto, Canada
6,815 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Wendy The Wanderer
I suspect this will be our last trip to FP. But then again, we always think that. But we're getting old, and are probably going to curtail the "gigantic" trips after 2018 in favour of simpler, easier, closer ones.
That was my plan for post 65 years. Will be 65 next year. But, some of the Crystal world cruise segments for 2020 look so inviting they are calling me....health and wealth permitting.
2021 is my 40 th anniversary and I would love to renew my vows on the PG. Also with the possibility of a new boat coming out in 2022 need to see the PG one more time!
#22
Toronto, Ottawa Valley ON, and Dunedin FL
14,407 Posts
Joined May 2001
Originally posted by Emdee
That was my plan for post 65 years. Will be 65 next year. But, some of the Crystal world cruise segments for 2020 look so inviting they are calling me....health and wealth permitting.
2021 is my 40 th anniversary and I would love to renew my vows on the PG. Also with the possibility of a new boat coming out in 2022 need to see the PG one more time!
Our Norwegian fjord trip next summer will be a symbolic dual birthday celebration--70 and 75. The trip is halfway in between the two dates. 40th anniversary in 2020--if we're still standing we'll do something.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Seabourn Quest Canada, September 2018
⚓Past Cruises:

Paul Gauguin Cook Islands & Society Islands, October 2017
Seven Seas Mariner, Miami-Lima, January 2017
Azamara Journey, Rome-Rome, September 2016
Uniworld Egypt, River Tosca, October 2015
Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014
Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
Radisson Diamond June, Black Sea 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010
#23
Quebec
976 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Hello Wendy from the Ottawa Valley,

We just did 7 days on Windstar but 18 days total in FP. Could not have asked for anything better. If doing 11 days on WS, we would have missed the Heiva i Tahiti and the nice beachfront hotel in Moorea. Of course, the Marquesa and fakarava are nice but we do not regret a thing. We spent over a year going over the details of our trip.

We 're going back in 2019. :-) Loved the culture, the people and the experience
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SeaEscape-Scandinavian Dawn - March 1990
Windstar-Wind Surf -December 2012
Windstar-Wind Surf - December 2013
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2014
Windstar-Wind Star - December 2014
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2015
Celebrity-Summit - January 2016
Celebrity-Constellation - August 2016
Windstar-Wind Spirit - July 2017
Celebrity-Silhouette - February 2018
#24
Durango, CO, USA
1,854 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Never been on Windstar, but have researched that line. As said above, they are not all inclusive. That means you pay extra not only for alcoholic drinks, but for soft drinks and bottled water as well. We frankly will not go on such a line any more. Also, if Windstar is using those sail ships in FP, you may find the rooms a bit small. If they are using the ships they acquired from Seabourn, a real balcony will not be an option.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
#25
Toronto, Canada
6,815 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Dolebludger
Never been on Windstar, but have researched that line. As said above, they are not all inclusive. That means you pay extra not only for alcoholic drinks, but for soft drinks and bottled water as well. We frankly will not go on such a line any more. Also, if Windstar is using those sail ships in FP, you may find the rooms a bit small. If they are using the ships they acquired from Seabourn, a real balcony will not be an option.
Hi there, missed you on the reunion. Was a great one.
#26
Quebec
976 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Dolebludger
Never been on Windstar, but have researched that line. As said above, they are not all inclusive. That means you pay extra not only for alcoholic drinks, but for soft drinks and bottled water as well. We frankly will not go on such a line any more. Also, if Windstar is using those sail ships in FP, you may find the rooms a bit small. If they are using the ships they acquired from Seabourn, a real balcony will not be an option.


Soft drink, non-alcoholic cocktail, tea, coffee and water are always free. Cabins are well laid-out. Cocktails are 8.25$ and beer on tap 5$. You can also bring two bottle of wine per cabin. Corkage fee is still 15$.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SeaEscape-Scandinavian Dawn - March 1990
Windstar-Wind Surf -December 2012
Windstar-Wind Surf - December 2013
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2014
Windstar-Wind Star - December 2014
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2015
Celebrity-Summit - January 2016
Celebrity-Constellation - August 2016
Windstar-Wind Spirit - July 2017
Celebrity-Silhouette - February 2018
#27
Nashville, TN
82 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Hello All, Not to highjack the topic, but I am looking at both lines also. Anyone here have any input on the scuba diving on both lines. That is my main reason for the trip to FP. I am considering sailing on each if them, back to back. If there is one that is more specialized in diving, I would do one sailing and spend a few days on Fakarava. Thank you in advance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Norwegian Epic 01/05/2013
Norwegian Dawn 01/05/2014
Norwegian Epic 02/23/2015
Norwegian Getaway 03/20/2016
Norwegian Escape 01/07/2017
Norwegian Getaway 01/15/2017
Norwegian Pearl 01/25/2017
#28
Toronto, Ottawa Valley ON, and Dunedin FL
14,407 Posts
Joined May 2001
Originally posted by Rummblestrip
Hello All, Not to highjack the topic, but I am looking at both lines also. Anyone here have any input on the scuba diving on both lines. That is my main reason for the trip to FP. I am considering sailing on each if them, back to back. If there is one that is more specialized in diving, I would do one sailing and spend a few days on Fakarava. Thank you in advance.
I'm not a diver, but I've heard that the dive team on the PG is first class. Can't comment beyond that, but I'm sure others will.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Seabourn Quest Canada, September 2018
⚓Past Cruises:

Paul Gauguin Cook Islands & Society Islands, October 2017
Seven Seas Mariner, Miami-Lima, January 2017
Azamara Journey, Rome-Rome, September 2016
Uniworld Egypt, River Tosca, October 2015
Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014
Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
Radisson Diamond June, Black Sea 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010
#29
1,150 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Wendy The Wanderer
I'm not a diver, but I've heard that the dive team on the PG is first class. Can't comment beyond that, but I'm sure others will.
Dame here .... can't comment on Windstar for scuba but yes, the PG team is top notch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Trips to the French Polynesia/South Pacific:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (2), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Upcoming Trips to the South Pacific:
July 26, 2017 on the Paul Gauguin

Likes: Traveling to the South Pacific on the Paul Gauguin and taking beautiful pictures.