What to do with glasses/ sunglasses?

I carry a small purse...lipstick, tissues, comb...and your room key....I mean, in a hotel you would carry a small purse...why not on a ship???? Doesn't need to be huge...but you do need something!

...I don't carry lipstick,tissues or a comb...never use a bag on a land vacation, hardly use one at home, my only issue is the glasses...Maureen

Hello, I wear glasses and when I cruise, I don't carry any kind of bag during the day, I just put my Seapass in my pocket and go. My problem is when I am going from the inside to the outside, how do I carry both my glasses and sunglasses? They won't sit on top of my head, I don't want to wear a chain around my neck. I end up sticking whichever I'm not wearing into the neckline of my shirt, but, I am afraid of them falling off (or overboard) or getting damaged. They each cost like 600 per pair, so, I can't afford to lose or damage them ( that's 2 cruises, people!). What do other people do with the glasses they are not wearing, but, will need in 5 minutes?....Maureen

You will have to get a small bag..that's what I do. My glasses are expensive as well and I don't take chances with them. A small bag isn't that hard to keep up with.

A clip-on pouch that can be worn during the day.

Sunglasses at night aren't an issue so just take the glasses and wear them.

I get round it by wearing contact lenses and shades, DH has reactolite rapide lens, they are great for driving especially as they react without having to swop glasses whilst driving.

p.s. clip on sunspecs are only really carried off well by the over sixties, fine if you are in that age group, but if you're not they'll look a bit 'unusual'

Edited by ailuro

...I don't carry lipstick,tissues or a comb...never use a bag on a land vacation, hardly use one at home, my only issue is the glasses...Maureen

Be careful hooking them at the neck of your shirt. I accidentally dropped my sunglasses that way doing the conga at Carlo's and Charlies in Cozumel. Luckily someone turned them in. And considering they're prescription, I would not have been in good shape without them the rest of the cruise.

I agree with the clip on case suggestion if that's all you need to carry. I got a soft sided glasses case with a hook at the dollar store recently. If you are going to be wearing something with a belt loop, that would work and hold your card too. Or I guess you could just carry it around the ship with you if you aren't.

• 7 years later...

For those mentioning cross body bags, there is the ultimate in ease and coolness. The Sash Bag. I have two! One black leather and one purple. They call it the "anti-purse". It's so comfy I forget I'm wearing it. It has inner zipped compartments for passports and I keep my change in one of those. There would be room for glasses in protective cases, one in each major compartment. https://www.thesashbag.com or in Canada https:/www.sashbag.ca

Thanks for the reply. My eye doctor doesn't like the Transitions glasses that go from clear to dark, but, I think I might get them just for cruising. At least I don't have 3 pairs, like you! My regular glasees are bifocals, so, I guess that eliminates the reading glasses. I feel like Don Johnson or somebody with my glasses stuck into my shirt. I don't know why they are so expensive, I am nearsighted (badly) and have astigmatism (sp?)...Maureen

Change your eye doctor ?

I know this is an old thread, but since I carry around two pairs of glasses (reading & sun) myself, I was curious.

I was thinking that since the OP doesn't (didn't?!) want to carry her glasses, wear them on her head, wear them on a chain, carry a bag or tuck them in her shirt ... she should just hire someone to walk around behind her carrying them!

I myself use a chain or cord for my sunglasses and carry my reading glasses in a small cross-body bag. For evenings on the ship, I use either a "dressy" cross-body or a wristlet.

I was thinking that since the OP doesn't (didn't?!) want to carry her glasses, wear them on her head, wear them on a chain, carry a bag or tuck them in her shirt ... she should just hire someone to walk around behind her carrying them!

I know!! A drone that will follow behind with the extra pair(s) of glasses mounted/carried on it!!! ;p

I know when I wore bifocals (yay, cataract surgery!) I had a pair of sunglasses that had “readers” built in. I bought them off the rack at Costco for $25-30. When I had the eye surgery I gave them to my daughter, she loves them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know when I wore bifocals (yay, cataract surgery!) I had a pair of sunglasses that had “readers” built in. I bought them off the rack at Costco for $25-30. When I had the eye surgery I gave them to my daughter, she loves them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You've just reminded me...I have some bifocal sunreaders......Useful for daytime.

One pair came from Sears( about $25-30) and others from Dillards (about $40).

Just take a clutch bag for evenings where you can put your glasses.

I take 'cheap, off the peg' glasses for day to day use...where they are in and out of beachbags etc.

My glasses from the optician tend to stay safely in the cabin.

(Expensive Varifocals that I don't really use as I should !!)

Yes, an old thread, but for those who are still interested in this discussion, I would suggest looking at a wrist wallet. The ones of which I speak are made of a Lycra-type material and are a tube shape that slips over your hand onto your wrist. They have a zipper or envelope opening to access a pocket. I don't carry a purse around the ship or on active excursions, but wear a small wrist wallet that holds just my cruise card (and on an excursion, a credit card and some cash). Look up "Banjees" and see what I mean. There are larger cellphone-holding sizes that could handle a pair of glasses. These sorts of wrist wallets are available at stores catering to runners, or on the internet.