Marseille - City Centre?

ClaireandHollie

Hi there

We're cruising on the symphony of the seas in July and one of our stops is Marseille. We're 3 adults and want to get to the main city centre for a look around. Is the old port the city centre? If not how do we get to the main city centre from the old port? We plan on taking the free shuttle bus provided by the port, RC shuttle depending on the price or a taxi.

Many thanks

Hi there

We're cruising on the symphony of the seas in July and one of our stops is Marseille. We're 3 adults and want to get to the main city centre for a look around. Is the old port the city centre? If not how do we get to the main city centre from the old port? We plan on taking the free shuttle bus provided by the port, RC shuttle depending on the price or a taxi.

Many thanks

IMO the centre was disappointing.

The shops are several streets back from the port and there are a few long streets running adjacent to the port.

There is a nice shopping centre midway between the ship and port which boasts some nice shops and outdoor restaurant's plus a nice sea view promenade.

IMO the centre was disappointing.

The shops are several streets back from the port and there are a few long streets running adjacent to the port.

There is a nice shopping centre midway between the ship and port which boasts some nice shops and outdoor restaurant's plus a nice sea view promenade.

Taxi to Marseille was €17 last year and €12 to the shopping centre.

There is a free local shuttle about 500 yards from the ship but there were plenty of taxis every time we have been to Marseille and easily the best way to get to where you want to be.

Ok thats great thanks for the info. It'll be either a taxi or free shuttle. Am I right in saying the free shuttle stops at the shopping centre on its way to town?

Also if we do end up heading for the town...I believe it drops us at joliette...is it far to walk to the main city centre from there?

Many thanks

Ok thats great thanks for the info. It'll be either a taxi or free shuttle. Am I right in saying the free shuttle stops at the shopping centre on its way to town?

Also if we do end up heading for the town...I believe it drops us at joliette...is it far to walk to the main city centre from there?

Many thanks

First time we went on the ships shuttle which drops you off and picks you up next to the centre.

We never used the free shuttle because it stopped several hundred yards from our ship and we never saw the free shuttle in several visits to Marseille.

There is nothing within 4 miles of the ships dock so don't be tempted to walk as we passed several people walking and they would have had to walk for an hour to see anything.

We found it hard to find a taxi in the port area.

We have been to the shopping centre a few times and there is a taxi stand nearby.

Many thanks

I believe the free shuttle terminates at Jolliete which is adjacent to the two shopping centres, Les Terraces and Les Docks. From there you can walk down Rue de la Republique which ends at the top of the Vieux Port and connects to Le Canebiere, one of the main shopping streets (about 20 minutes walk). Alternately, from Joliette you can either take the metro or a tram downtown.

I believe the free shuttle terminates at Jolliete which is adjacent to the two shopping centres, Les Terraces and Les Docks. From there you can walk down Rue de la Republique which ends at the top of the Vieux Port and connects to Le Canebiere, one of the main shopping streets (about 20 minutes walk). Alternately, from Joliette you can either take the metro or a tram downtown.

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much for your help! It's appreciated