making payments on the Ovation of the Seas

As I am from Australia, I was going to load my Global Wallet card with US money and use it (EFTPOS) to pay my bill before I get off and it is converted into AUS dollars. Is it possible to EFTPOS or can I only pay in cash?

As I am from Australia, I was going to load my Global Wallet card with US money and use it (EFTPOS) to pay my bill before I get off and it is converted into AUS dollars. Is it possible to EFTPOS or can I only pay in cash?

If the EFTPOS is like a debit card, you can use it to pay your onboard account. Just make sure you tell the Guest Services people to charge in USD. They like to "mistakenly" do their own conversion.

If the EFTPOS is like a debit card, you can use it to pay your onboard account. Just make sure you tell the Guest Services people to charge in USD. They like to "mistakenly" do their own conversion.

Perfect. saves me having to take a lot of cash. Thanks.

According to this 2016 FAQ from the Royal Caribbean UK site, pre-paid debit cards cannot be used on their ships. The current website FAQ doesn’t have the explicit reference, but states that onboard accounts can only be set up with credit cards or cash.

I wonder if you could set up a cash account and then use the pre-paid card to settle it later, though. (As I understand it, the issue with debit cards is the daily hold they apply).

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/assets/pdf/manage-my-booking/rccl_bookingTermsAndConditionsUkMay2016.pdf

[Note to previous posters: EFTPOS simply means electronic funds transfer at point of sale, and is the payment system by which any card, debit or credit, is used. It’s a bit of a red herring in this context, but common language when talking about card payments]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to this 2016 FAQ from the Royal Caribbean UK site, pre-paid debit cards cannot be used on their ships. The current website FAQ doesn’t have the explicit reference, but states that onboard accounts can only be set up with credit cards or cash.

I wonder if you could set up a cash account and then use the pre-paid card to settle it later, though. (As I understand it, the issue with debit cards is the daily hold they apply).

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/assets/pdf/manage-my-booking/rccl_bookingTermsAndConditionsUkMay2016.pdf

[Note to previous posters: EFTPOS simply means electronic funds transfer at point of sale, and is the payment system by which any card, debit or credit, is used. It’s a bit of a red herring in this context, but common language when talking about card payments]

thankyou for your reply. I went on the aussie cruisers website and they confirmed that the Ovation doesn't do eftpos. Has to be credit card or cash. I think I will get a better exchange with cash. Well done on the eftpos explanation. It's amazing what you assume people know.:)

thankyou for your reply. I went on the aussie cruisers website and they confirmed that the Ovation doesn't do eftpos. Has to be credit card or cash. I think I will get a better exchange with cash. Well done on the eftpos explanation. It's amazing what you assume people know.:)

The easiest thing to do is pre-load USD onto your cruise account as onboard credit. You do this by calling RCI ahead of the cruise. We have done this on our last 2 cruises and prefer it to using our credit card or carrying cash.

I’m very surprised that you can’t pay by debit card. So surprised that I don’t think it’s true. You can’t use a prepaid debit because they don’t have your name on them, but I think you can use a normal debit card.

That’s a pre paid debit card, different to one linked to your bank account. My sis uses one on Royal all the time

THey will do an EFTPOS card if it’s labelled Visa or MasterCard, but may well put some hefty holds on your account.

I was thinking the OP would opt for a cash type account and then use the card at the end of the cruise to pay off the onboard account. This would avoid holds.

• 2 weeks later...

I would avoid cards like Global wallets, etc. Seem to have way too many problems on board resulting in many visits to guest services to work things out. At least this is what I have seen friends go through who have used such cards. Easiest options are Credit cards, US cash or pre paid OBC.

I would avoid cards like Global wallets, etc. Seem to have way too many problems on board resulting in many visits to guest services to work things out. At least this is what I have seen friends go through who have used such cards. Easiest options are Credit cards, US cash or pre paid OBC.

thankyou so much. I needed to know about the Global Wallet and have come to the conclusion that US cash is the way to go. Thanks again.

Wendy