'support the cuban people' or 'people to people'

nbhwarrior

looking for clarity

booked cruise to havana on Carnival paradise, post June 17 changes

on Travel affidavit do you tick 'Support Cuban People' or 'people to people' or are both acceptable?,

As i am reading it both are acceptable

Depends on your plans. If you're taking a ship excursion, use people to people, Anything else, use Support. Truthfully, it doesn't really matter since no one will ever look at your affidavit after it's turned in to the cruise representative when you embark.

I believe that “people to people” was discontinued following last year’s policy announcement. Support for the Cuban People is the recommended category to check off, unless one of the others applies in your case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just be aware that some cruise lines are forcing the cruiser to select "P2P not sponsored by the cruise line", instead of allowing "support for the Cuban people". Everyone here on CC and TA says to go with the flow and just select what the cruise line wants to see rather than what is correct.

I believe that “people to people” was discontinued following last year’s policy announcement. Support for the Cuban People is the recommended category to check off, unless one of the others applies in your case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not exactly. There was a self-guided people-to-people option that was discontinued. People-to-People still exists and is what is used when you do the cruiseline excursions.

I don't think they care, I was in cuba 2 weeks ago, I had marked support of Cuban people because I had booked a private tour. The girl barely looked at it when I handed it to her.

What girl did you hand what to?

What girl did you hand what to?

When you come off the ship into the terminal you go through immigration..they will look at your passport and the visa. The lady looking at my visa barely looked at it. I do not think they care why the American are there, they are just grateful that we are bringing much-needed money to their country. After you go through that section you will go see the money exchange.

Make sure to take Toilet paper or kleenex with you... There are not many bathrooms and you may find some without TP.

The guidelines are now basically that if you check People to People you need to do a cruise excursion or tours with another US based tour company. Please don't do this. Support for the Cuban People allows you (per regulation) to support local small businesses and book locally owned tour companies. Not only is this important to the success of growing private businesses in Cuba- but also a much more authentic way to learn about the country. I've used a few different ones and strongly recommend I Love Cuba Photo Tours. They do customized tours and will make your day whatever you want it to be, and are also professional photographers who will document your trip for you. You can find them on Facebook or TripAdvisor (they are #1) or email the owner Yosel at yoselvazquez@yahoo.com.

Just sign what ever section the RCI service rep tells you to sign.

Fill in most of the form, leave that section clear.

We had many people during check in having to rewrite the forms out because the CSR was not happy with the box they had checked.

Really, really slowed things down.

I don't think they care, I was in cuba 2 weeks ago, I had marked support of Cuban people because I had booked a private tour. The girl barely looked at it when I handed it to her.
When you come off the ship into the terminal you go through immigration..they will look at your passport and the visa. The lady looking at my visa barely looked at it. I do not think they care why the American are there, they are just grateful that we are bringing much-needed money to their country. .

The visa that you handed her had absolutely nothing to do with how you marked the OFAC affadavit. Two different governments, two different sets of paperwork.

Just sign what ever section the RCI service rep tells you to sign.

Fill in most of the form, leave that section clear.

We had many people during check in having to rewrite the forms out because the CSR was not happy with the box they had checked.

Really, really slowed things down.

I’m not surprised if it was a RCI boat, I’m travelling with Carnival, I expect the cruisers to be much more organised :')

The guidelines are now basically that if you check People to People you need to do a cruise excursion or tours with another US based tour company. Please don't do this. Support for the Cuban People allows you (per regulation) to support local small businesses and book locally owned tour companies. Not only is this important to the success of growing private businesses in Cuba- but also a much more authentic way to learn about the country. I've used a few different ones and strongly recommend I Love Cuba Photo Tours. They do customized tours and will make your day whatever you want it to be, and are also professional photographers who will document your trip for you. You can find them on Facebook or TripAdvisor (they are #1) or email the owner Yosel at yoselvazquez@yahoo.com.

I agree, we toured with Yosel last October and had such a good time we booked another cruise with 2 days in Havana for August 18th. We have him booked for both days. He is the best!