Machu Picchu post cruise tour recommendation

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:31 AM.
Langley B.C. Canada
2,690 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by Carole_T
Thank you so much for sharing your pictures! Planning our trip with Princess, a cruise tour 12/2015
Most welcome Carole. You will have a fabulous time! We are heading back to South America in January, this time to Ecuador including Galapagos and Amazon. I have really loved what I have already seen of South America and looking forward to more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Betty https://sharemytraveladventures.shutterfly.com/

2018 Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera
2017 Royal Princess - Southern Caribbean
2016 RV Mekong Prestige II - Cambodia & Vietnam Mekong
2015 Viking Idi - Rhine River
2015 Coral I - Galapagos Western & Southeastern Islands
2013 RCI Voyager of the Seas - Exotic Asia
2013 HAL Veendam - Canada & New England
2012 NCL Star - Western Caribbean
2012 Celebrity Silhouette - Adriatic & Mediterranean
2012 Carnival Fantasy - Charleston, Key West & Bahamas
2011 Celebrity Millennium - Alaska
2010 Royal Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia
2009 Emerald Princess - Scandinavia & Russia
2009 Crown Princess - British Isles
2009 MS Royal Ruby - Nile River Cruise
2008 Grand Princess - Western Mediterranean
2008 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2007 Regal Princess - Panama Canal (cancelled at embarkation)
2006 Louis Pearl - Greece & Turkey
1996 RCI Song of Norway - Mexican Riviera
1987 Sun Princess - Eastern Caribbean
Spokane, WA
608 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I have to second an earlier poster's choice of Escaped to Latin America. We are sitting in the Mexico City airport on our way back from a 6 night stay in Cusco and the Sacred Valley. I worked with Jean O'halloran and she was wonderful. I had been to Peru once before but this time was going with my DW and another couple so I had an idea of what I thought they should see. They contract through Condor Travel and we couldn't have been more pleased with the service we got. We were comng off an amazon cruise so didn't arrive into Cusco until late afternoon, otherwise I would agree with previous posters that you should go immediately to the Saced Valley to acclimate. We toured the SV the next day with our guide Raul who I can highly recommend. One of the highlight of the day was a visit to a local corn/dairy farm followed by a wonderful lunch with the family. The 2 sons were both educated in the US and very interesting to talk too. This is the main reason I booked through them as they were the only one out of the numerous tour companies who offered this option and we all agreed that it was one of the top 5 highlights of the trip. We then took the train to Aquas Calientes and spent two nights at the Casa del Sol which I highly recommend if you want to treat yourself. A little pricey but it includes dinner which was excellent. But do ask for a riverview room. We had a wonderful time and couldn't more pleased with our trip and the arrangements.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barbara

2017 Hurtigruten (Norway)
2016 HAL Oosterdam (Mediterranean)
2015 Emerald Princess (Mediterranean)
2014 OAT (Amazon River)
2013 Norwegian Dawn (New England)
2012 Ocean Princess (Grand Med)
2011 Coral Princess (Panama Canal)
2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)
2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)
2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)
1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)
1993 Columbia River Cruise
1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)
1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)
1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)
1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)
Florida
4,340 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I am glad you loved your trip. We used Escaped to Latin America and Condor Travel. It was an excellent trip with great guides! They also individualize the itineraries.
Spokane, WA
608 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
We stayed in the Jose Antonio. It was convenient and the rooms were nice. The breakfast we good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barbara

2017 Hurtigruten (Norway)
2016 HAL Oosterdam (Mediterranean)
2015 Emerald Princess (Mediterranean)
2014 OAT (Amazon River)
2013 Norwegian Dawn (New England)
2012 Ocean Princess (Grand Med)
2011 Coral Princess (Panama Canal)
2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)
2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)
2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)
1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)
1993 Columbia River Cruise
1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)
1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)
1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)
1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)
Sydney
822 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I was given Jaime details [email protected] www.patagoniashorex.com from a lady who had traveled to Machu Picchu with him.
How lucky was I,when ever I contacted Jaime all of his responses we very very prompt.I once asked him if he ever slept & his response was only with one eye.
He also has a great sense of humour.

We chose to come home from our traveling on the Dawn Princess which was sailing from Southampton to Sydney in July 2014 so we could do Machu Picchu.
I chose to take a group of eleven, some we had sailed with before & some who contacted me from our roll call on Cruise Critic a great site for cruisers.

We left the ship in Mantra on the 3/8/14 and took taxies ( US$15 )per taxi to the airport for a quick flight to Quito.Jaime had checked us all in on line & emailed me the boarding passes.He did this for all flights except Quito to Lima which was an international flight.
All flights were with Avianca Airlines except the short fight Manta to Quito which was with Tame. All our flights were on time unlike the some of the flights (Tame) that were used by the ships tours & some private tours delayed by 5 hours to Lima.

Jaime was in Lima to meet us 9.20pm on the 3/8 a few hours sleep at the SM Hotel & Business this hotel was a fifteen minute drive to the airport.We arrived in Cusco at 7.30am to be meet by our wonderful guide Luis Ccori who is an archaeologist.
We stayed at Palacio del Inka www.hoteleslibertador.com.pe
Everyone had time to rest & a few of us did get some altitude sickness (bad headache) but there was oxygen at hand when you needed it & lots of cocoa tea.
One couple did start medication for altitude sickness a couple of days before leaving the ship they had no issues with the altitude & If I was to go to Cusco again I would defiantly take altitude medication.(it does contain Aspirin so no good for those who are allergic to Aspirin)

We all loved the Palacio Del Inka Hotel amazing.
After a lovely lunch in the hotel we left for our tour around Cusco.
It's was an amazing day & we did get to see so much,Luis is so knowledgeable & passionate we felt very privileged to have him with us.
Jaime took us for drinks to his friends family house great view over Cusco,and then dinner at the hotel.

Next morning after a lovely breakfast we left to explore the Sacred Valley on route we stopped see Llamas,and how there wool is spun & dyed.There were products you could buy & people in local costume very colourful. We spent some time at the town of Pisaq with a lovely market.
We stopped for lunch Tunupa Vally,then headed for Ollantaytambo.
This was another amazing town again we were so lucky to have Luis explaining so much of what was surrounding us.
This is where we boarded the train around 7 pm to Aguas Calientes

We arrived in to the town of Aguas Calientes in the dark, the train goes through the centra of town with the river running along quite lovely. We were staying at El Mapi Hotel www.elmapi.com
There were porters from the hotel to take our luggage to the hotel for us,this was really great.We all kept our luggage to one small case each.
Once we arrived at the hotel in the middle of town,we were given our rooms with a voucher for a free Pisco Sours drink with dinner.
Dinner was included in the price & was very good.
Next morning up early and after a good breakfast we checked out.
The hotel kept our luggage while we went up to Machu Picchu ,and would delivered the cases back to us at the station for our return trip to Cusco.

After a very short walk we joined the very long queue for the bus.
There had been a land slide on the road going up to Machu Picchu over night.
But it was all good fun & we spoke to different people along the way & took photos.
The bus ride is about 20 minuets up to Machu Picchu great views along the way.
We arrived just after eight o'clock and after a quick toilet stop (there are no toilet on the site)then join the small queue to enter the site.
There are two ways to go left or right,we took the left turn which is a steeper climb.
This works out so much better as you arrive at the top & can then work your way around the site in decline. The climb is not hard we had varying ages 50 to 80 we all made it with encouragement from Jaime & Luis.
We had clouds early on then bright sun shine,this made for some amazing photos.

This is truly a once in a life time experience we had an amazing guide with Luis who explained the different areas of the site.
We spent about four hours on the site and everyone loved every minute of it.
Once down Jaime made sure we had our passports stamped with Machu Picchu .
We had a great lunch at The Sanctuary with a local group who played music,very colourful. It felt so very good to relax knowing we had explored this amazing site.
It was then on to the bus back down the Mountain to the train station.

Our luggage was waiting for us at the railway station, and this is were we had to say good bye to our amazing guide Luis who we will be forever grateful for his wonderful knowledge of this amazing part of the world.
At 3.30am we caught the Vistadome train back to Poroy.
This was a lovely trip, with great views & we were all seated in the same area of the train.
We were served food & a drink and once that was over the staff then changed to model all the wonderful clothes made from lama wool,which you can purchase.
When we arrived at Poroy station we boarded our coach for Cusco.
We stayed again at the wonderful Palacio del Inka hotel,
After our last dinner together we retired for a great nights sleep.

Jamie traveled with us to the airport for our flight at 7.30 am to Lima.
After a half day tour of Lima we had to say good bye to Jaime as he delivered us to the ship. Every one on this tour were so very happy with every thing & that we had a tour operator that stay with us on this amazing trip.

We had an amazing four months holiday but the the highlight of this trip was our five days with Jaime.
This man is all about customer service and he delivered so much,he joined us in Lima & stayed with us for throughout this amazing journey.
We will all be for ever grateful to him for all his work to make this dream come true.
When we plan our trip to South America it will be with Jaime.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sun Princess 75 Days South Pacific Circle June 2016
Pacific Aria 23rd April 2016
Diamond Princess 16th March 2016 Syd Tasmania Syd
Sun Princess 8th Jan to 23 Feb 2015 Fremantle CapeTown Fremantle
Voyager Of The Seas 19th Feb Syd to NZ 2015.
Dawn Princess 12th July Southampton to Sydney 2014.
Ocean Princess 7th May CapeTown to Dover 2014.
Sea Princess 12th July Dover to Sydney 2013.
Oosterdam, Jan 26 to Feb 2013
Sun Princess Sydney To Dover May 2012
Sea Princess Sydney To NZ. Oct 2011.
Vancouver, BC
1,629 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
roaming kiwi58 and the others have basically said it all. Here's my 2 cents.

I highly recommend using Kuoda Travel. They are based out of Cusco. I have used them twice, 2 years ago for a 12 day tour and again this past April. Ask for Jesus.

For April. I coordinated 3 groups for tours after a cruise. There were 13, 4 and 8 in the groups and they spent 3, 4 and 5 nights in the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu and Cusco area. We started in Sacred Valley and then spent a night at Machu Picchu before taking the train to Cusco. We liked Cusco, especially watching the Plaza from an upper balcony of a restaurant and so we had 2 nights there. It is possible to spend one night after the train ride, tour the next day and then fly to Lima for an international flight home. Those flights tend to be quite late at night.

Our prices ranged from $1800 to $2500, for 4 and 5 star hotels. I wouldn't recommend any lower as their hotels may be rated differently than what we are use to in North America. I would also recommend booking at least 6 months out as the hotels are smaller and book up faster.

If you want to talk to me directly, email dksmithtravel at gmail dot com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen (not a TA but have this name for travel)
10 cruises before joining Cruise Critic
1-5-2014 Celebrity Millennium (Indonesia & Malaysia), 8-15-2014 Celebrity Infinity (Fjords of Norway), 11-23-2014 Celebrity Eclipse (Southern Caribbean), 4-4-2015 Oceania Marina (Tahiti to Peru), 2-28-2016 Celebrity Infinity (BA to Valparaiso), 3-14-2016 Star Princess (Valparaiso to LA), 4-4-2016 Star Princess (LA to Vancouver), 6-7-2016 Celebrity Silhouette (Baltic Capital Cities) 10-12-2016 Caribbean Princess (New England and Canada Fall Colours) 10-28-2017 Azamara Journey (Athens to Dubai, including Petra and Luxor's pyramids), 02-10-2018 Celebrity Constellation (Singapore, Hong Kong and the Philippines)SAILED

STILL TO COME

04-27-2018 Ruby Princess (1 day Vancouver -Seattle)
04-13-2019 Celebrity Millennium (Japan Explorer)
04-27-2019 Celebrity Millennium (Pacific Rim)
05-10-2019 Ruby Princess (1 day Vancouver -Seattle)
Minneapolis
1,045 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by roaming_kiwi58
We recently returned from a South American land tour, which included a segment in Peru. We had 1 night in Lima, flew to Cusco, then 1 night in Sacred Valley, 1 night Aguas Calientes (the town below Machu Picchu), 2 nights Cusco, then flew back to Lima and after half a day there flew out again, to Santiago, on our way home to NZ. We were happy with the itinerary, except that we should have added a couple of nights in Lima on the end, as we did not get much of a look at Lima.

We caught the train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes (about 1 hour 45 minutes), then went straight to the shuttle and had about 4 hours in Machu Picchu, on a guided tour. It was long enough for us. We could have gone back up the next morning (as some of our group did) but instead we spent the morning exploring Aguas Calientes. Even though it was Christmas Day most of the markets and shops were still open. Some of our companions went back up to Machu Picchu to do one of the longer hikes which were available.

Personally I would not want to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge. Yes, it is at the gates of Machu Picchu, but there is nothing else there, and we enjoyed being able to wander around Aguas Calientes easily. The shuttle buses between Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu run regularly, and take about half an hour.

Machu Picchu is on a slope, and there are some climbs up to various viewpoints, but we did not find it very strenuous. (We are reasonably active and do lots of walking at home). As I said we did not do any of the 3 or 4 hour hikes you can do, just stayed in the main site. The altitude will not bother you in Machu Picchu. Cusco is much higher than MP, and you may notice it there - just take it a bit slowly. We just felt a bit "dry" in Cusco - not at all as bad as when we went to Tibet, where we had headaches and it was quite difficult to sleep at night. Our Peru itinerary was good in that we flew into the highest point of the journey (Cusco), and immediately went down into the Sacred Valley to stay the night. There is lots of interest in the Sacred Valley - llama farms, craft demos, Pisac market, Ollantaytambo village and archeological site, etc. Cusco is also worth some time, with lots of historical interest sites in the town or close by.

We only took an overnight bag on the train to Machu Picchu. Our main luggage was left at the Sacred Valley hotel, and was transported to our Cusco hotel to await our arrival there.

Hope this helps a little. Enjoy your trip! Machu Picchu is a great place to see.
how did you arrange to have your luggage sent to Cusco from the Sacred Valley hotel? I have been trying to figure out how to do that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

John and Linda, Minneapolis
Royal Caribbean Diamond Plus members

Celebrity Infinity, Panama Canal, October 2019
Celebrity Expedition, Galapagos, January 2019
Anthem of the Seas, Caribbean, January 2018
Serenade of the Seas, Norway and the Baltics, June 2017
Radiance of the Seas, North Australia, March 2016
Radiance of the Seas, South Australia, February 2016
Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas 2014
Coral Princess, Alaska September 2012
Jewel of the Seas, Transatlantic, September 2011
Brilliance of the Seas, Mediterranean, September 2010
Oasis of the Seas, Caribbean, December 2009
Grandeur of the Seas, Caribbean, January 2009
Explorer of the Seas, Caribbean, December 2008
Majesty of the Seas, Caribbean, April 2008
Freedom of the Seas, Caribbean, January 2008
Crown Princess, Caribbean, January 2007
Voyager of the Seas, Caribbean, March 2006
Serenade of the Seas, Panama Canal, October 2004
Carnival Spirit, Alaska, August 2001
Carnival Jubilee, Mexico, June 1998
Home Lines, Caribbean, January 1988
Ottawa, Canada
114 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by angeleyes27
Is there a particular company that you recommend for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a 6 day Machu Pichuu tour through Princess. They used Lima Tours. They were fantastic. I suggest you contact Lima Tours directly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums