Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:23 AM.
San Diego, Ca
17,574 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
1972 – Maiden voyage of Carnival’s first ship, the TSS Mardi Gras, which runs aground on sandbar outside the Port of Miami.

This first Captain probably wasn't Italian.

Fred
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
04/09 Carnival Splendor Swine Flu Cruise, 11/08 Carnival Elation, 04/08 Carnival Paradise, 04/08 Carnival Freedom, 11/07 Carnival Elation, 04/07 Carnival Spirit, 09/06 Carnival Pride, 03/06 Carnival Valor, 10/05 Carnival Pride, 02/05 Carnival Spirit, 03/04 Carnival Spirit, 05/02 Carnival Paradise, 03/01 Carnival Triumph, 06/92 Princess Star Princess, 07/90 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, 07/89 Carnival Holiday, 92 USS Juneau LPD-10, 85 USS Hoel DDG-13, 82 USS Elliot DD-967

Wennfred / Stay classy San Diego
7,247 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
All of the Captains in Carnival's current fleet are Italian as are their subordinate officers involved in the sailing of the vessel. Some of the engineering officers are Italian but others are not. None of the officers involved in the Hotel side have been Italian on any of our cruises but some could be.

I don't know the reason for this but I suspect it could be associated with the construction of the ships themselves. With the exception of the four Spirit class ships, all of the Carnival fleet was built in Italy. Perhaps it is easier and/or less expensive to paper Italian officers for Italian built ships.
6,156 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by KEITJE
are all carnival captains and ahip officer italians?
Yes and I think its because of that Greek Capt. and crew who left the ship in the middle of the night as it was sinking but forgot to tell the passergers.
The Valley
759 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by yst347
All of the Captains in Carnival's current fleet are Italian as are their subordinate officers involved in the sailing of the vessel...
I don't know the reason for this but I suspect it could be associated with the construction of the ships themselves. With the exception of the four Spirit class ships, all of the Carnival fleet was built in Italy.
Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it so I can't give an exact citation, however, Arison was used to working with Italian Captains in his pre-Carnival days.

By the way, the Fantasy class ships were built at the Kvaerner Masa yards in Helsinki, Finland where the Spirit class and the other Project 8000 ships. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aker_Finnyards )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Phroggie
M.S. Carnival Splendor 8/14/2011: Recipient of the Ship's Trophy for excellence in movie trivia
M.S. Carnival Pride 5/28/2006
M.S. Ecstasy 2004
S.S. Zion (renamed S.S. Dolphin IV) 1962
7,247 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Thankyou for the correction phroggie. I was under the impression that the Fantasy class ships were built at Fincantieri also. I've never heard this story about Mickey Arison before but I have never heard a good explanation for the Italian officers either. It's an interesting question.
782 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by KEITJE
are all carnival captains and ahip officer italians?

Carnival likes to provide Eye Candy for us women (not just at the buffet)

Picture Italian and a white uniform, that's worth going on a cruise to see