Full frame lenses for Nikon

radiationman

Has anyone used any of the following lenses. If so any thoughts regarding images quality, Distortion vignetting Etc

Nikon AF-S Bulk of 70-200mm f2.8 FL ED VR lens

Tamron SO 70-200mm f2.8 So VC USE G2 lens for Nikon F

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APP IS HAM for Nikon

Looking for a zoom lens at this focal length. The Nikon lens is approximately $2,500 Tamron and sigma are approximately $1,200 a big difference. Mostly interested if anybody's used the sigma or Tamron Lens and have you noticed significant distortion or dig relation and image quality

Some of the cheaper Nikon lenses have significant distortion

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 FL ED VR is the best, I've not owned this version but have tested a it. I've owned both the 1st version and the previous 70-200mm f2.8 ED VR2 version. I got a deal on a almost new VR2 for $1100 missing the foot. I bought a RRS foot for it on fleabay for $50.00. Don't overlook a good used Nikkor if you find one at a good price.

Here's an image of a BIF taken in AK. This has been reduced in size to use on my computer's 4K screen as a background.

Taken hand held on a rocking boat with the VR2 version on a D810 with no filter or extender being used.

Click on the image when it displays to show the photo full size.

http://www.fastpictureframing.com/ak/WBM_8955.jpg

Historically the resale on a nikkor will be a higher %. Several lenses that I've bought used then used for 5-10 years then sold brought equal or more than what I paid for then.

framer

I love the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 FL ED VR (The new one) I had, still have, the 70-200mm f2.8 VR the very first version and on the D810 the new one is tack sharp the older version I have is a little 'soft' on distant shots but in close unless you go to extreme magnification not much difference. I kind of like the softer look of the photos on portraits, do not really need to see all the blemishes on the skin. The other lens to get for a full frame is the Nikon AF-S 24-70 F2.8E ED VR This combo is incredible for tack sharpness and focusing is fast and quick. The downside is it is all very heavy glass. But a sling strap and not too bad.

PS I was about 4 miles away when I took this photo.

36986087214_da178f93e5_k.jpg

Get the VR2 version. It's worth the few extra dollars that you need to get it. The VR version is OK if you plan on using it with a DX sensor but it softens in the extreme corners, not quite up to FX standards. One last thing to consider, personally I'd pass, but check out the f/4 version of the lens from Nikon. Lighter weight 1/2 the price new. Please test it on your camera before you buy it, I passed on it but I'm real picky. My source for 90% of my used gear has been keh.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Nikon VR version (not the current VR2 one, but the one right before). Bought new. Currently our best lens (sharpness, color, etc). We have a Nikon 18-70mm f2.8 also, but that one was bought used and is markedly less... good... in everything compared to the 70-200. I mean, it's still great, but our 70-200 just makes you go "Damn!" without any post done.

Unfortunately, it's a freaking brick and the zoom range means it's not as useful every day. Bringing it to Alaska, but not when we go to Japan.

The Nikon 70-200 is one of Nikons best ever lenses. Have the current one and the older version (bought used). Built like a brick and weighs the same. I second the opinion -- bringing on an expedition but not on a casual shoot or vacation.

• 3 months later...

I have the first VR version of the 70-200 and may be selling it soon due to lack of use. They say the First version isn't quite as sharp on a FX and I have switched to the FX however it is still very nice. To be honest I tend to use a longer zoom more often and really need the 200-500 more for the type of photos I normally take. I also have the 24-70 which pretty much stays on the camera, my favorite.