FOS Cabin Question- opinions please

JWBmom

I am looking into booking the FOS for 2014 Spring Break

We have cruised with our two children (who will then be 7 and 16) in a balcony cabin (yes, all 4 in one balcony cabin) on our last 2 cruises.

While we love the balcony, we would also love a little more space.

Here are my options:

1 balcony cabin- $4335

Connecting outside cabins- $3995

Connecting inside (PR)- $3755

I am very tempted to book the connecting insides, but have never been on a ship with a promenade before so I don't have any first hand knowledge.

The space would be great and obviously the price is the best.

Which option would you choose?

In addition, if you chose the insides which deck is the best?

Thanks a bunch.

I have done connecting oceanview cabins on Freedom deck 3 aft (the last few in the row are connecting on either side). I enjoyed them very much. Good location, near elevators and dining room and skating. Really lovely.

If you do inside, I like higher deck like 7 or 8.

Did you look to see if one of the D1/L combos on deck 9 aft are available? There are only two of these balcony/inside double cabin sets on the ship, but it may be a good option for you to have the balcony, boys to have inside and you have the connecting door. They go fast so maybe check. 9396/9401 and 9696/9701.

ETA: I just did my first promenade on the Explorer. Not sure if the ones on Freedom are bigger but I have to say that there were definitely good and bad points. Loved our location (second cabin from elevators and over Guest Services so not all of the promenade noise), loved the window seat, but the room design is a bit cramped and it made moving around from desk to closet/bathroom area really hard for me and my mom when in the cabin together. I like the layout of the beds in the oceanview better (come from the back wall outward rather than from the left or right wall across if you get my description).

Edited by njmomof2

We have the same size group as you. Two adults and Two kids (9 and 11). We have been four in an inside, outside and JS and are doing four in a balcony coming up on the Liberty and Indy. We have also done two cabins but not adjoining last year on the Monarch. Even though they were not adjoining they were still side by side. The kids loved this the best. they had their own cabin and so did we. I guess it depends on your kids but we were OK with not having them adjoining. As far as balcony vs inside its a matter of how much you use the balcony. How many sea days? How busy are you on board? How much time do you spend in the cabin? If your just there to sleep and change I'd go with the two insides and use the extra money for some cool shore excursions. If you spend a fair amount of time in the room then go for the balcony or JS or how about a balcony for the adults and an inside close by for the Kids.

have a great trip.

We cruised on the Freedom over Spring Break a few years ago and our kids were across the hall in an interior cabin. They came over to enjoy our balcony but having the extra bathroom was heaven (2 girls) ;)

Edited by scooter90

I would love to be able to do a balcony and inside across the hall, but it is not really an option for us. My teenager always meets ton of people and likes to participate in all of the teen activities, which sometimes has him coming to the room later and my younger one would be absolutely terrified to be in the room by herself (i am not entirely comfortable with that thought either).

At least if we have connecting we can leave the door open and we are visible to her as well as her to us.

I would NOT get a promenade cabin on deck 6 directly over the English pub. It can be noisy until the wee hours of the morning, depending on the entertainer there. Are you ruling out a regular inside cabin like 6393/6395?

Edited by Jimnbigd

We had a family PR room on FOS which I was able to book for just the four of us. Usually they want five in this room, but defn gives hou more space. There are only four of these rooms on the ship. I will load some pics. We were on deck seven. I have also had two connecting PR rooms on Explorer of the Seas. I think we liked the family room better, and it comes will full bath tub and a large walk in closet which is handy for changing. price wise I recall it being a bit less than two connecting. My teenager was hardly in the room, so we really really didn't have any issues with sharing one bathroom.

We had 9613/9615 on FOS this past school break. Fab location, close to elevators and stairs, one of my granddaughters does not like elevators and would only take the stairs, so close to the pool deck, windjammer and deck 5 retaurants/promenade.

0fd623ff713a18edf6c908af30dada81_zps646fa1a4.jpg

41429a6ea10252ad324590071efbe6ca_zpsd1b15695.jpg

3b193c546742b556fe0514f49581a2cb_zps33f65e90.jpg

767c52566242d76cc6b9ed979bc730e4_zpsa56f1065.jpg

Thank you for the pictures- this definitely gives me something to think about- with my little one the bathtub would be great.

I don't see these rooms as an option on online booking- do you have to call to book them?

Also- how was the location as far as viewing parades, etc?

Thank you for the pictures- this definitely gives me something to think about- with my little one the bathtub would be great.

I don't see these rooms as an option on online booking- do you have to call to book them?

Also- how was the location as far as viewing parades, etc?

You have to call in to get one of these rooms and have at least 5 people in the room. Sometimes RCCL opens up unbooked family rooms to anybody after final payment date. Call RCCL, it can't hurt!

Edited by funfamilyof6

I am usually not that lucky, but i was for this trip! What happened was that in approx June 2012, I booked a Feb 2013 Winter Break/Presidents Week cruise thru RCCL's online system. The cabin just popped up and I was able to reserve it. I grabbed it as knew that was very unusual. Later, when I often tried to check new pricing for that cabin, never could see that as it said must call to book and may have a # of people req. I have already told the kids that while we will have our first balcony for next cruise, don't expect the room to be like this one:)

Room is great for the parades and stuff going on on the little "bridge". Here are pics. :) from the room thru the windows.

641a01162171f00df799ec5dd8e1805f_zps4c926e96.jpg

0d4ca0e7c58b5c40e602f899151d5a8b_zpse3a3924c.jpg

86f4110266b5bba3af1df44e057ccc5d_zpsd4e5a8ed.jpg

49ade98a9d93101e4b1dd20f27936dc1_zps3238aad3.jpg

I am usually not that lucky, but i was for this trip! What happened was that in approx June 2012, I booked a Feb 2013 Winter Break/Presidents Week cruise thru RCCL's online system. The cabin just popped up and I was able to reserve it. I grabbed it as knew that was very unusual. Later, when I often tried to check new pricing for that cabin, never could see that as it said must call to book and may have a # of people req. I have already told the kids that while we will have our first balcony for next cruise, don't expect the room to be like this one:)

Room is great for the parades and stuff going on on the little "bridge". Here are pics. :) from the room thru the windows.

Thank you so much for the additional photos and room details, you are too kind!!! My girls are really looking forward to the tub since it makes it a lot easier to shave LOL. The good part for us is that my mother in law is staying in the cabin next to us so we will still have use of an extra bathroom, a necessity with 3 girls.

• 10 months later...