2016 Norwegian Drink and Cocktail Prices

Smitty74

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50671317&postcount=12

Any recent cruisers know if they give you 1 oz for 16.95 for the premium liquors now? I think I noticed occasional reference to weak drinks on some recent reviews and wondered if there was more than a change in prices.

The old menus showed call/premium/super premium oz amounts along with dollar charge.

For example, Super Premium showed "1.5 oz $10.95" now, just "$16.95".

I do not see Makers Mark or Knob Creek on here. I hope they did not remove them. I only consider those premium Like Crown or Jack.

Both were on the menu at a few of the venues but not included in the UBP. Maker's is my favorite but no way I was paying an addtional 6 per Manhattan just to have it. I settled on Bulleit.

Weird thing is that Bulleit is cheaper to buy her than Maker'sin the Chicagoland area.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks, Thanks for all the good posts, We are soon on the Norwegian Sun and first time on Ultimate Drinks Package, Are gratuities charged on the individual drinks consumed on board? If so are the 18% gratuities included in the $15 individual drink allowance?

How is my right to Ultimate package shown? On my ship card or where?

Sam

Hi Folks, Thanks for all the good posts, We are soon on the Norwegian Sun and first time on Ultimate Drinks Package, Are gratuities charged on the individual drinks consumed on board? If so are the 18% gratuities included in the $15 individual drink allowance?

Sam

I just sailed the Getaway and had the drink package as my free perk. I was charged the gratuity when I booked and chose that as my perk. You will not be charged again on your bill once on the ship. In the upper right hand corner of your room key card is UBP, and once they see that, you just get your drink with no charge. Pretty much all drinks are under that $15, unless they are made with premium liquor, but the bartender will inform you of that when you order, to see if you still want that drink. We rebooked the Getaway for next January and chose the drink package again as our perk. It was wonderful! Let me suggest a Mudslide, Miami Vice, Mango Meltdown, Mojito, Raspberry Mojito, and then the standards--Daiquiri, Margarita, Piñata Colada---all under the $15. Beers are around $8, and most wines are under $15. I also liked that I could get fountain soda with the plan, too. It does not cover bottled water. I hope this helps.

Definitely NOT included with UBP. Not sure whether you can buy them seperately or whether you actually have to buy the cocktail as well as we didn't bother with them. To be honest, they didn't look that great to us, but I appreciate that this is a personal taste thing.

on my cruise on the dawn in october we were able to buy the badass sugar skull mugs from los lobos, sans margarita, for $6 ea. From what the waiter told me, if you have the UBP you just get charged for the mug. on our cruise in september I'm going to ask for the mug to be charged separate from my drink, just to be safe.

Sam

I can't find this link to NCL's blurb on the UBP, but here's what I cut n pasted a month ago:

Ultimate Beverage Package

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15 USD. Two (2) beverages per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $15 USD will receive a $15 USD discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account. Ultimate Beverage Package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less, the Pride of America or Harvest Caye.

An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. Guests purchasing this package on board during the dates of March 1st through April 15th will only be able to purchase on embarkation day.

Please note that rates are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Norwegian Cruise Line.

Doug

• 1 month later...
Anyone know what sort of wines are offered at the cheapest rate of 88 dollars/4 bottles or is it some other rate on the viva vino package....I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere

I can't recall the exact wines on the wine packages. As I recall, t here are three packages. We tried the cheapest on one cruise, which was OK, but since then we go with the middle package, that seems to have wines more to our liking.

• 3 months later...

I did an evaluation of the drink plan which I did take on a recent cruise. The true cost to me (traveling solo) was $220-$250. They charge you about $100 per week for gratuities on the unlimited drink package, and you lose the perk you would have taken if you did not take the drink package (say $120 to $150 in value).

So you really have to drink more than $220-$250 in drinks to make it worthwhile. I will not be taking the drink package the next time, because I would have to drink 5 beers a day to make it worthwhile. I probably would only have 1-2 drinks a day. If its an excursion day, you would only be drinking at night. So if you are a light drinker, do the math, a heavy drinker, then its worth it.

Remember you have a budget of $220-$250 to break even if you don't take the drink package (on a one week cruise).

I did an evaluation of the drink plan which I did take on a recent cruise. The true cost to me (traveling solo) was $220-$250. They charge you about $100 per week for gratuities on the unlimited drink package, and you lose the perk you would have taken if you did not take the drink package (say $120 to $150 in value).

So you really have to drink more than $220-$250 in drinks to make it worthwhile. I will not be taking the drink package the next time, because I would have to drink 5 beers a day to make it worthwhile. I probably would only have 1-2 drinks a day. If its an excursion day, you would only be drinking at night. So if you are a light drinker, do the math, a heavy drinker, then its worth it.

Remember you have a budget of $220-$250 to break even if you don't take the drink package (on a one week cruise).

The way I see it, just drinking past the amount I paid in gratuities made it well worth it! I don't understand how you think you have to drink over $250 to break even? We choose that perk every time as the others do not even appeal to us.

The internet package is valued at $120, the excursion package at $150 if you take 3 excursions. There is also a specialty restaurant perk (not sure what that is worth). Adding this to the $100 gratuities gets you $220-250. I like to get the wifi internet package. If you are not going on excursions or getting internet, or specialty restaurants, then your break even is $100 for drinks.

The internet package is valued at $120, the excursion package at $150 if you take 3 excursions. There is also a specialty restaurant perk (not sure what that is worth). Adding this to the $100 gratuities gets you $220-250. I like to get the wifi internet package. If you are not going on excursions or getting internet, or specialty restaurants, then your break even is $100 for drinks.

Well, then, I guess my drink package is a great deal, as we would definetly go over $100 in drinks for the week, as the cost of drinks is so high. I just don't see any of the other perks being as good a value. All excursions are more than $50pp, and they only give you $50 per cabin per port stops. I never use wifi on a vacation, and prefer MDR and all complimentary dinning venues. Now if I had a cabin larger than my inside cabin, I would be able to choose other perks. My next choice would be the excursion credit---to off set excursion prices, then specialty dinning we would try. But never wifi. Just a waste of good vacation time, IMHO.

Depending on that type of cabin you book, you can get multiple or all of the perks. Therefore, some of us only need to drink $100 worth to break even and still lose none of the others.

I too thank you for the drinks info. I am thinking prices will be similar on all of the NCL ships. I wll be celebrating a special birthday in February on the Spirit and did not take the drinks package because I likely will only want drinks with the birthday meal. Your photos of the drinks lists was most helpful and most appreciated!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Is the 18% gratuity placed upon what the cruise line feels the free unlimited drink package is worth for the duration of the cruise or is it based upon the number of drinks that are actually consumed?

They charge you right up front for the gratuity, so it is not based on how many drinks you have. It's a set rate. I can't remember exactly how much I paid---I think $100pp. Still cheaper than package, and bSed on that price (gratuity) we feel we got our money's worth.

Thank you for that information. I am glad I asked this question because logically it should be based upon number of drinks consumed.

Basically, it's 18% of the package price you would pay if you didn't select it as a booking bonus. So, 18% of $79 per day, or a little less than $100pp for a 7 day cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! Question, I know that Red Bull is extra even when you have the UBP. If I get a mixed drink, 'redbull and vodka' would I pay for the price of red bull and then the shot of vodka is covered under the UBP... is this correct? Thank you :)

Hey all! Question, I know that Red Bull is extra even when you have the UBP. If I get a mixed drink, 'redbull and vodka' would I pay for the price of red bull and then the shot of vodka is covered under the UBP... is this correct? Thank you :)

Correct... you'd get a vodka on the rocks covered by UBP and a Red Bull charged to your card...

55714146d40d56253e2c31482d3193a3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
i just sailed the getaway and had the drink package as my free perk. I was charged the gratuity when i booked and chose that as my perk. You will not be charged again on your bill once on the ship. In the upper right hand corner of your room key card is ubp, and once they see that, you just get your drink with no charge. Pretty much all drinks are under that $15, unless they are made with premium liquor, but the bartender will inform you of that when you order, to see if you still want that drink. We rebooked the getaway for next january and chose the drink package again as our perk. It was wonderful! Let me suggest a mudslide, miami vice, mango meltdown, mojito, raspberry mojito, and then the standards--daiquiri, margarita, piñata colada---all under the $15. Beers are around $8, and most wines are under $15. I also liked that i could get fountain soda with the plan, too. It does not cover bottled water. I hope this helps.

thank you...i really needed this info..was trying to decide if i would go with internet or all you can drink..i am a light drinker but it will still be better than worrying about a drink bill later.

• 1 month later...
Well, then, I guess my drink package is a great deal, as we would definetly go over $100 in drinks for the week, as the cost of drinks is so high. I just don't see any of the other perks being as good a value. All excursions are more than $50pp, and they only give you $50 per cabin per port stops. I never use wifi on a vacation, and prefer MDR and all complimentary dinning venues. Now if I had a cabin larger than my inside cabin, I would be able to choose other perks. My next choice would be the excursion credit---to off set excursion prices, then specialty dinning we would try. But never wifi. Just a waste of good vacation time, IMHO.

We had this perk on a different line with a lower threshold on the top but still found we used it more than expected. It was during the summer and picking up a liter bottle of water a couple times a day to take on shore excursions helped make it worthwhile. I think our top usage was 2 waters, an fancy coffee at breakfast, A sangria or beer at lunch, two wines with dinner and a couple beers or cocktails in the evening.. But usually it was less. I think we averaged about $35 worth a day. And that line had no single malts withing the limits!

It was also nice to be able to try things and not be worried you would not like them. If you hated it, you just asked for something else.