Price Drops

mdsgu

We've never booked an Early Saver rate before, but, for some reason, we did for our Thanksgiving cruise on the Dream. That was back in June. I'm way past final payment, but I learned (from Cruise Critic) about Carnival's Fare Viewer. I started stalking that daily, and I've managed to snag FOUR price drops since final payment. I'm now about $375 under where I started. Is this normal? Does this happen a lot? Or it just a function of a particularly active hurricane season?

Lucky you! Used to be much more frequent that prices would go down and you could get a price adjustment. Seems like now the sooner you book the better price you get and they kind of go up from there.

Enjoy that extra cash!

We've gotten 3 price drops so far - $260 pp savings. Hint - if you do a fake booking, you can sometimes find a cheaper fare than Fare-Viewer shows. For a fake booking just go all the way through booking until you get a final price, than get out.

It used to be very common to get lots of price drops after final payment, which is why we always opted for ES. However, in recent year(s), not too many.....the prices have risen overall (for us in balcony cabin) and are higher now than ever, plus they have only gone up (we book early) with time. Overall, we have found price drops to be scarce to none in recent years.

I think the price drops occurring now are due mainly to hurricane season and cancellations with CCL trying to fill the ships! There are some great deals to be had if willing to go to changed itineraries.

We've never booked an Early Saver rate before, but, for some reason, we did for our Thanksgiving cruise on the Dream. That was back in June. I'm way past final payment, but I learned (from Cruise Critic) about Carnival's Fare Viewer. I started stalking that daily, and I've managed to snag FOUR price drops since final payment. I'm now about $375 under where I started. Is this normal? Does this happen a lot? Or it just a function of a particularly active hurricane season?

It can be quite normal. It all depends on how well the sailing is filling up. We have had the success you are seeing and also seen the opposite. In my opinion, ES is the way to go if you know you will not cancel the cruise. And in that case, we have travel insurance.

Enjoy the onboard credit. Try something you wouldn't have done before such as the Chef's Table or Behind the Scenes Tour. Cheers!

then yes, I've seen major price swings in interior cabins.

balconies are a different beast. suites do fluctuate but not by wild margins.

i've seen Vista interiors (8-day cruise) go as low as $649 pp. that's $81 per day per person with double occupancy. that's an amazing price for room and board for an eight day vacation.

what's your final (or most recent) per person/per day cruising cost (excluding taxes and fees) with all your fare reductions?

Would someone mind explaining this to me? Sorry I am a new cruiser, I booked my cruise for the sensation on January 20 with early saver. I just verified that I do have price protection I just don't know how to go about this? Would someone mind helping me out thank you

what would you like help with? many here on CC have great insight and experience and will chime in with advice, process and procedure.

I would like help with understanding this whole price protection thing. What exactly is it and what do I do? Lol sorry to sound stupid just confused

I would like help with understanding this whole price protection thing. What exactly is it and what do I do? Lol sorry to sound stupid just confused

if you book the Early Saver rate, you are able to get the difference back in onboard credit if the price drops after you book the cruise. Its not automatic, you have to file a 'claim', and there are other cancellation caveats that you should make yourself aware of before you book under this price. For us, its been great. Welcome, by the way.

if you book the Early Saver rate, you are able to get the difference back in onboard credit if the price drops after you book the cruise. Its not automatic, you have to file a 'claim', and there are other cancellation caveats that you should make yourself aware of before you book under this price. For us, its been great. Welcome, by the way.

Thank you so much I never knew about this I just got off the phone with carnival and received $50 onboard credit:cool: happy cruising!!

looks like you've got this dialed in now.

just watch your cruise fare every few days as special promos will show up and disappear depending on how you room class is selling or not selling. carnival uses a demand pricing algorithm to maximize revenue per each sailing.

rooms that, imo, see the most fluctuation are interiors for longer cruises (5-day+ cruises). but it really depends when you've booked and cruising season.

looks like you've got this dialed in now.

just watch your cruise fare every few days as special promos will show up and disappear depending on how you room class is selling or not selling. carnival uses a demand pricing algorithm to maximize revenue per each sailing.

rooms that, imo, see the most fluctuation are interiors for longer cruises (5-day+ cruises). but it really depends when you've booked and cruising season.

Thank you I really appreciate it!! I am excited I'm cruising January 20 in an interior room! :D

yes, but the request for price adjustment is made via online submission:

(here) https://www.carnival.com/core/requestforms/priceprotection.aspx

if you have OBCs from your original booking price, you could (will) lose those OBCs that were part of any promo.

do your full cruise fare cost math before requesting a price adjustment.