How is one selected for upgrade offers?

gnomie1

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but yesterday we received our first upsell offer which was forwarded by our TA. According to the offer, it is extremely limited and likely to sell out quickly and is offered on a first come, first served basis.

So..... we checked out the prices and here is the kicker - the prices for the upsell ARE THE EXACT SAME PRICE AS IF WE HAD PURCHASED THAT LEVEL OF SUITE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Not only is there no discount for the "upsell", to imply in the email that this is a limited offer which we were specially selected for is a complete insult, does Regent really believe that their passengers are that naive?

gnomie :)

Not only is there no discount for the "upsell", to imply in the email that this is a limited offer which we were specially selected for is a complete insult, does Regent really believe that their passengers are that naive?

Naïve is too kind a word for what cruise lines think of their passengers. Celebrity constantly talks about "free" drink packages, but check the cost. A cabin without the package cost X $, a cabin with the package costs X+ $.

So much for free drinks.

Based on our experience, Regent does not do upgrades to entice new customers. In my opinion, that is more of a mainstream cruise line thing where they have large ships and hundreds of cabins. Most Regent sailings are full and they only do upsells (there are obviously a few exceptions).

P.S. Regent doesn't even have "ocean view" cabins on three of their four ships. Their ships are all suite - all balcony (except for a few suites on the Navigator.)

I must disagree. On every one of our last 5-6 cruises on Regent I have come across several new to Regent passengers who received complimentary upgrades

I must disagree. On every one of our last 5-6 cruises on Regent I have come across several new to Regent passengers who received complimentary upgrades

We have witnessed the same on more than one occasion. On one cruise, we met up with a first time Regent cruiser who is a cousin of a business associate and they could not understand how they were upgraded while long term passengers were not - still talk about it today.

I almost understand upgrading lower level categories to maybe Concierge level but not necessarily above that for first time cruisers. Regent wants long term customers and I would not think that upgrading someone from a "H" category to a PH suite would necessarily make new customers "regulars" and more than an upgrade to a Conscierge level. No strong feelings about this but as a long time Regent customer, we do appreciate the occasional upsells.

I almost understand upgrading lower level categories to maybe Concierge level but not necessarily above that for first time cruisers. Regent wants long term customers and I would not think that upgrading someone from a "H" category to a PH suite would necessarily make new customers "regulars" and more than an upgrade to a Conscierge level. No strong feelings about this but as a long time Regent customer, we do appreciate the occasional upsells.

Jackie

Have you ever gotten a complimentary upgrade?

Sheila