Lucky us onboard the Explorer

Eager2Travel

We are settled onboard the Explorer. It is as wonderful as the last time. I will acknowledge we are very fond of Regent so that will color my view.

We had a flawless dinner in Pacific Rim. The food and service was excellent complete with hot sake for me and Sapporo beer for my buddy. We are fond of Asian food and are used to good quality. This rated with the best.

Tomorrow is our Meet and Mingle. I am not as reliable with posting as others but did want to acknowledge that the spirit ofCruise Critic is still onboard the Explorer.

Ann

Edited by Eager2Travel
mistake

I will be on the Explorer in late Jan in an aft facing cabin and am concerned about the vibration from the drive systems. Would it be possible for you to note the vibration (if any) in the rear of the ship while it is cruising from either the gym or the Infinity pool area. My cabin is on deck 7 and any vibration in the above areas might be still noticeable in my cabin.

Thanks, Rick

I will be on the Explorer in late Jan in an aft facing cabin and am concerned about the vibration from the drive systems. Would it be possible for you to note the vibration (if any) in the rear of the ship while it is cruising from either the gym or the Infinity pool area. My cabin is on deck 7 and any vibration in the above areas might be still noticeable in my cabin.

Thanks, Rick

Stromer - I’m not on board right now but was on in April and August...I never noticed any vibration aft. I was in the infinity pool and other venues with no issues. Also, my mom was pretty far aft (in 675 if I remember) and she didn’t notice any vibration issues, either.

Thanks, Rick

Stromer -- no vibration in 787, which we were in last September.

Thanks, Rick

We had an aft facing cabin and there is no vibration.

Thank you all for commenting on the possible vibration on the aft facing cabin. I heard on another thread that has been an occasional loud banging sound on these aft cabins that Regent cannot explain. Has anyone heard of this before.

LAST QUESTION: To those who have been in these aft facing cabins, would you do it over again or go to a side cabin in the middle on the next cruise?

Thanks, Rick

Thank you all for commenting on the possible vibration on the aft facing cabin. I heard on another thread that has been an occasional loud banging sound on these aft cabins that Regent cannot explain. Has anyone heard of this before.

LAST QUESTION: To those who have been in these aft facing cabins, would you do it over again or go to a side cabin in the middle on the next cruise?

Thanks, Rick

I would like to add a question to your question, Rick. DH and I are going on the Mariner, Seward to Vancouver cruise in May, 2018 and I have reserved the Mariner cabin on 10. I was wondering if the SS Aft suite would be better, on any deck, watching the wake as we travel along. Due to physical limitations we may spend a good amount of time in the cabin. This is a once in a lifetime trip that we will probably not be able to afford again! Any suggestions with respect to the cabin selection for an optimal experience? Thank you!

I would like to add a question to your question, Rick. DH and I are going on the Mariner, Seward to Vancouver cruise in May, 2018 and I have reserved the Mariner cabin on 10. I was wondering if the SS Aft suite would be better, on any deck, watching the wake as we travel along. Due to physical limitations we may spend a good amount of time in the cabin. This is a once in a lifetime trip that we will probably not be able to afford again! Any suggestions with respect to the cabin selection for an optimal experience? Thank you!

Hi, I'm obviously not Rick but am currently on the Mariner and have been in a SS Aft suite and it is one of my all time favorite suites The living room is huge - the balcony is huge. It is an amazing suite. Just check the deck plan to see what I above you (for possible noise issues). We are in a suite under the Observation Lounge at the moment and can't hear a thing but it I something to consider.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think Mariner's Seven Seas Aft Suites have to be the best suites I have ever seen! I've never been on Explorer, but have been in several other "upper level" suites, and none were as great! We did her first voyage to Alaska and it was absolutely amazing!

We were in a Seven Seas Suite Aft last year on the Mariner on a trip from Vancouver to Anchorage. We loved the suite but did have a problem with the deck when it rained. The water did not drain and to access the deck you had to walk through huge puddles. It was necessary for the housekeeper to mop it up each time it rained.

Edited by vlinbin
omitted which ship

Sad tale. I posted a big entry (for me) and it disappeared before it loaded. I know, I should have written it in notes and pasted but I am not good with that and was feeling optimistic.

Am waiting for the internet guru to see if I can transfer the snapshot I took of the screen. Am enjoying a coffee Nelson while I wait in the coffee cafe. Yum. We are docked at Georgetown, Grenada.

But cruise and Explorer could not be better. It has the friendliest crew and staff I have come across in awhile, coupled with great service and food.

Hopefully more to follow.

Ann

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, Travelcat2, Pam & vinlnbin on the SS Aft suite. It sounds wonderful, however vlinbin’s experience with the rain and puddles concerns me because it is an Alaskan cruise in rainy May. Any consensus? Thank you!!!

We have been enjoying every minute of our cruise. The food and service have been excellent. We have not seen one grim crew member

One of our favorite dinner spots has been the rear outside balcony of Setti Mare. The weather is balmy, the view of lights twinkling onshore as we sail away adds a lovely touch. It is friendly, informal and delightful. We both had tasty lamb chops with a wonderful Valpolacelli (not at all sure of spelling). To top it off there was a magnificent dark chocolate peanut butter sorbet among the desserts. They have cute little lamps with shades on the table. It feels like a scene from a romantic movie.

Jean, we are enjoying the warmth for you and Bill. Thanks for kind thoughts.

Rachel, thanks for taking away my guilt over infrequent posting.

Wish I Were Traveling and 1982 Cruz Start, thanks for the good wishes.

Ann

Small traces of Christmas are beginning to show up on the Explorer. I am guessing the big transformation will occur tomorrow.

They have a Hanukah Menorah set up on the desk at reception and add a light each day. It is a nice touch.

They are a bit slow on Explorer -- the Mariner crew somehow managed to put up the big Christmas tree while we were watching the show in the evening a week ago. It looked magical.

When we boarded the Navigator on Monday it was completely decorated for Christmas and every day something new is added. In the space between Reception and Destination Services is a beautiful display including a gingerbread house and a toy train. There are two little boys on board who are the children of an officer and they are constantly watching the trains in motion.

BTW - they have also added delicious Xmas cookies in the coffee connection - I have to break them in half to allow all the calories to leak out before eating - they are very yummy!

gnomie :)