What are the best cruise lines for Alaska?

applehazar

The Radiance itinerary is a lot better. 4 Alaska ports instead of 2 Alaska ports. Also Hubbard on a decent day is a really spectacular glacier. I'm not sure which dates you are thinking of. If it is Alaska first, then that itinerary is July 29 to August 10, August 12 to August 24 or August 26 to Sept 7. If you mean the last one, it is getting late in the season, weather is more chancy and the days are getting shorter.

The one nice thing about the Ovation itinerary is a pretty full port day in Victoria which is nice if you really want to see Buchart Gardens plus get a small sample of Alaska. You could easily add a visit to Victoria and Buchart Gardens from Vancouver or Seattle if that's on your bucket list.

August is less expensive than July. If you want to economize, I'd go with the July 29 or August 12 which aren't much more than the August 26 and have a better weather outlook. We went in August last year. What is nice about August is that the salmon are still running so there is a good likelihood of seeing bears near rivers and estuaries.

Depending on which 5 day land tour, dates and ocean view or balcony cabin, the cruise tour for 2 people is $3000 to $4000 more than the cruise alone. You could save by doing the land part DIY instead of a cruise tour package. If you do it on your own, it opens up options such as arriving in Seward with time to take a boat tour to Kenai Fjords (Glaciers and wildlife) before boarding your ship.

We saw a lot of ocean wildlife - whales, seals, sea otters and birds including puffins - on our Kenai Fjords boat trip and a lot of land wildlife on the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center and back.

Update. Our TA just gave us an option. A 5 day land then a 7 day cruise. It’s more expensive but we are only going to Alaska once. It’s end of August 1 st of September. Any comments on the dates? Btw it is radiance of the seas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did that same time frame and number of days in 2013 with Holland America. My biggest tip is to pack for every type of weather condition. We had freezing temps and snow in Denali, rainy port days (not heavy rain), and a sunny warm day in Ketchikan. Pack waterproof gloves and shoes...I forgot the gloves and regretted that mistake. It is the end of the season, so the port shopping will be discounted...that was a nice plus.

2018 we are doing a 14 day RT on HAL out of Seattle. I want to go to Kodiak Island. I was fine booking at the end of August/early September, but DH said no. So, we are going in early July and will have the super long days. Oh, you will not have the midnight sun in late August/early September...keep that in mind if that is important to you.

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...