Is 1 hour 50 minutes enough time to connect in CDG

Pearl64

We are booked on Delta for our return from Prague to Atlanta on April 19. Originally we had two hours but there has been a change to only one hour and 50 minutes at CDG. I know we will need to go through immigration and security, correct? We are flying premium economy but it is on Aur France. When I check our reservation on Delta they have in red that we may miss our connection and to call them. I am trying to figure out my options before I call Delta. Most of the flights have tight connections and most do not have premium economy. Delta One is way out of our pricing and do not have enough miles. Is there any possibility of making this connection? There is a later flight from CDG on Delta but no premium economy is available. Premium economy and Delta comfort are totally different products. Suggestions before I call Delta?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I agree with Keith. The message was printed in red stating we might miss our connection. By the way, doing a dummy reservation the original flight combination is still an option on Delta’s website. When I made the original reservation, this was the best I could find.

I am thankful for all who offer their responses.

It all depends on a number of factors. Is your flight from Prague on time, how far from that gate to your Delta departure gate (is it even in the same terminal) and most importantly, is there any customs/immigration (some of the experts here can confirm exactly what you will need to do) you need to go through in addition to regular security.

I've been through CDG a number of times and find it painfully slow. I'm not saying you won't make it in 1:50 but to me that is tight (as does the e-mail from Delta).

This comes down to risk/reward. Right now you have the flights and cabin category you want. If however the connection is too tight and you miss your flight, Delta will try to reroute you to your final destination and that may involve a change of cabin category or even a delay (perhaps the next day) depending on seat availability.

Unfortunately no guarantees that you will or won't make your flight.

If that is what the airline is saying then it is fine.

NEVER rely on what an airline is willing to book as an "acceptable" connection. I still see connection times that I would not consider if it was a free flight. Time and experience has shown that just because an airline is willing to book it, doesn't mean your odds of making the connection are good.

Pearl:

It might help if we clear up a few items. You say you are "booked on Delta", but then you talk about flying on AF. I know that PRG-CDG would be an AF operated flight, but you are vague at best on the TATL segment. Best to let us know just what the operating and marketing carriers are for the segments.

Also, did the flight times change since purchase? Why are you now getting a message - was it not there in the past?

Note that PE is not offered by all carriers and/or on all aircraft. Only a few DL aircraft currently have PE, so if that is a deal-breaker, you may need different routings, including extra legs.

Rick:

Intra-Schengen and Extra-Schengen flights operate from different terminals at CDG, with T2F for Intra and T2E for Extra. As the OP is going from Schengen to outside Schengen, passport control is required.

I hope this clarifies some items. Yes, the message from Delta came about a month after we booked the flights. We are flying from ATL to AMS on Delta metal in Economy Plus and then to BUD on KLM metal in regular economy on April 4. Returning we depart PRG to ATL on AF flight but booked on Delta to CDG and then again on AF to ATL on April 19 in premium economy.

Yes, I understand we may have to have extra legs but they are even worse with connection times. For instance under an hour in AMS or CDG. We have been both and do not feel comfortable with those time frames even with the “expediated” line in AMS. We cannot leave Prague earlier but could extend if necessary. What is the stopover time frame on AF? I think for Delta it is 23 hours. I really don’t want to do this but it might be a solution. We probably could find a reasonable hotel near CDG and spend an afternoon or evening in Paris. It just sounds like a big hassle at the end of our trip.

It is a good thing I monitor the reservation as otherwise we would not have known until we were ready to board! They can still change flights so we just need to be prepared which is what I am trying to do.

Thanks again for any advice.

I hope this clarifies some items. Yes, the message from Delta came about a month after we booked the flights. We are flying from ATL to AMS on Delta metal in Economy Plus and then to BUD on KLM metal in regular economy on April 4. Returning we depart PRG to ATL on AF flight but booked on Delta to CDG and then again on AF to ATL on April 19 in premium economy.

So, the tickets were purchased through DL, but both return segments are operated by AF.

Yes, I understand we may have to have extra legs but they are even worse with connection times. For instance under an hour in AMS or CDG. We have been both and do not feel comfortable with those time frames even with the “expediated” line in AMS.

Since we don't have your actual flight information to work from, here's what I meant. Have you considered flying, not from CDG to ATL, but via NYC, BOS, MIA, ORD or any of the dozen cities AF serves other than ATL? Or have you been fixated on a CDG-ATL non-stop? You can also come to North America via Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Mexico City.

In addition, you can have a connection up to 24 hours without "breaking" the fare. The airline website computers don't automatically show those connections. What you need to do is to manually get the various flights from CDG to North America and piece them together with flights from PRG and on to your eventual destination (which you don't mention).

There are plenty of ways to get across the Atlantic in AF PE. The only question is, do you want to go through some exercise in finding the various options to get you home. Or do you want to keep what you have.

It just sounds like a big hassle at the end of our trip.

What's your preference?

Finally, I would have no issues with 1:50 at CDG for a PRG-CDG-USA routing. Your comfort level may vary.

I'm a little confused on the feedback.

Delta has flagged this that the connection might be a problem.

Keith

I suspect Delta has flagged it, merely because the connection time has been reduced (10 min) from the time the OP originally booked the flight, and DL wants to draw attention to that to make sure the OP knows it has been slightly reduced. It's not that DL actually thinks it's a dangerously short time (if they did, they wouldn't allow it to be booked) but they know individuals have their own comfort level and want the OP to know there was a change. 1:50 is well within the allowable limits for a domestic-international connection at CDG, and wouldn't be flagged unless a change had taken place.

I won't address alternatives, but can say that we just connected through CDG a couple of weeks ago. We had an 85 minute connection window and we were fine. They routed us through the airport in a way that did not require us to go through security a second time and passport control was not crowded.

We did hustle a bit but we were at our gate at about the time boarding started, so it didn't take us long.

CDG is miles above what it used to be in terms of routing passengers through the halls. Just be sure you know where you are headed and carefully follow the signs along the way.

Of course, YMMV and there are no guarantees. Everything went right for us. I would take a 1 hour 50 minute connection; however, I'd be happier with a bit longer.

• 3 weeks later...

We transferred via CDG from Atlanta, going to Budapest, our overseas flight was delayed which gave us only 20 minutes to get from one terminal thru immigration to our gate.

We ran our legs off, and made the flight, but with great effort :eek: