Food in Princess v. Queens Grills

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:39 PM.
United Kingdom
150 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Tillylovesseabourn
Yes, but this is an exception. It is generally not encouraged in PG like it is in QG and certainly not on the menu.
Actually this is incorrect. I am sure there are differences in the menu offerings but on QM2 PG a couple of weeks ago, Chateaubriand was most definitely on the a la carte menu.
Nottingham,United kingdom
982 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by MeredithFairfax
Actually this is incorrect. I am sure there are differences in the menu offerings but on QM2 PG a couple of weeks ago, Chateaubriand was most definitely on the a la carte menu.
It wasnt on QV two weeks ago.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn Legend 29/06/03 ItalianYacht Havens
Seabourn Legend 25/06/04 Yachtsmans Riviera
Regent Navigator 20/09/08 Mediteranean
HAL Eurodam 30/01/10 Caribbean
Ponant Le Boreal 13/05/10 Monte Carlo GP
Seabourn Odyssey 08/08/11 Greece
Silversea Silver Whisper 11/10/11 New England
Seabourn Spirit 02/09/12 Adriatic
Crystal Serenity 09/05/13 Italian idylls
Seabourn Odyssey 12/07/14 Greek Isles & Croatia
Seabourn Odyssey 04/07/15 Turkey & Greek Isles
Azamara Journey 19/08/16 France,Italy,Malta,Greece
Seabourn Odyssey 15/10/16 Greek Isles
Queen Victoria 26/08/17 Greek Isles
United Kingdom
150 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Tillylovesseabourn
It wasnt on QV two weeks ago.
Well that's something for me to bear in mind for future trips - not only is PG different to QG, but the menus differ from ship to ship. I haven't experienced this before although I remember last year after QM2 had her refit, there was a significant change in the a la Carte menus. Some (but by no means all) of these changes seem to have now been rectified.

I guess they have to claw back some of the money they've spent somehow
Nottingham,United kingdom
982 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by MeredithFairfax
Well that's something for me to bear in mind for future trips - not only is PG different to QG, but the menus differ from ship to ship. I haven't experienced this before although I remember last year after QM2 had her refit, there was a significant change in the a la Carte menus. Some (but by no means all) of these changes seem to have now been rectified.

I guess they have to claw back some of the money they've spent somehow
Meredith, I would say Chateaubriand has been on and off the menu in PG a few times in the last year, so it may well have changed again. I know there is definitely no lobster etc. Like you say, I know they were experimenting with changing the PG menu, trying to downgrade it, but this met some stiff criticism,so who knows,it will be a surprise for you! I know that there are far fewer choices now in a la carte than in QG, and it used to be more similar.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn Legend 29/06/03 ItalianYacht Havens
Seabourn Legend 25/06/04 Yachtsmans Riviera
Regent Navigator 20/09/08 Mediteranean
HAL Eurodam 30/01/10 Caribbean
Ponant Le Boreal 13/05/10 Monte Carlo GP
Seabourn Odyssey 08/08/11 Greece
Silversea Silver Whisper 11/10/11 New England
Seabourn Spirit 02/09/12 Adriatic
Crystal Serenity 09/05/13 Italian idylls
Seabourn Odyssey 12/07/14 Greek Isles & Croatia
Seabourn Odyssey 04/07/15 Turkey & Greek Isles
Azamara Journey 19/08/16 France,Italy,Malta,Greece
Seabourn Odyssey 15/10/16 Greek Isles
Queen Victoria 26/08/17 Greek Isles
114 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
We use the Lido quite a bit even though we were QG. If we were in a hurry, it was quick and easy. Much of the food was simple and less rich than the QG offerings. How many different ways can you do eggs? We could get pasta, sandwiches and soups for lunch. If it's a sea day, we probably will eat in the QG dining room. If it's a port day, we would slip past the Lido on our way out. We did see dishes that were on the menu upstairs being offered in the Lido on the buffet. That was pretty common.

My DH has some dietary issues. We found it easier to hunt a peck a bit at the Lido because it was less stressful than trying to modify the menu while in the QG dining room. You can control portion size, too. The QG wanted to accommodate us, but they needed to know in advance. They would provide the menus the day in advance, but it's hard to make a decision on what you want to eat hours in advance. Plus, if you were busy with something else and you ordered something special, you felt obligated to show up. After all, they were going to some trouble to accommodate you.

QG is deserted at breakfast. My DH is usually one of a dozen regulars. I can't get ready in time. I just have a croissant and tea in the stateroom. Having said that, we never missed dinner in QG. It's quite the event. Lovely food, service and ambiance.