Salacia...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:12 PM.
At Sea
5,286 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I've been asked by the DH of Agnes, known to us as "Salacia", to let the Cunard board know that his wife died unexpectedly in the early hours of Thursday, September 7.

He said "She loved sailing on the QM2... and she greatly enjoyed the camaraderie of the message board, especially the spirited debates".

Her Cunard Platinum Pin was placed in her casket by her family.

He went on to say "She was diagnosed with cancer in March 2015, and with great courage and determination underwent chemotherapy, radical surgery and radiation over the balance of that year. Her recovery was very slow, and only last April, with a new oncologist and a better anti-cancer drug, did she start to feel significant improvement".

He also said "She told me long ago that she wanted only three things from death: that it be quick, that she be buried in her family plot in Brooklyn, and that everyone have a good time at her wake, funeral and luncheon. She got all three".

Today, 19th Sept, would have been their 36th Wedding Anniversary.

I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Agnes in the Commodore Club on board Queen Mary 2 in November 2016 a day after leaving New York. We had corresponded for a few years previously, but it was coincidence that we found we had booked the same Caribbean cruise.

Meeting Agnes was a real, genuine pleasure. She was elegant, gracious, witty, wise, intelligent, great in conversation; listening intently and then responding with exactly the right comment. I had sincerely hoped that our paths would cross again one day soon on board a Cunard ship. It is not to be.

A member of the family described her thus: "She was beautiful. She was smart. She was funny. And she was tough!"

Salacia, Agnes, R.I.P.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
Vale of Glamorgan
3,457 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I'm so sorry to hear this, her contributions will be greatly missed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
UK
1,913 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
So sad. Like a lot of people on this forum, she gave sound advice. I wish I had had the opportunity to meet her to say 'thank you' in person.

Condolences to the family.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
It is shocking and sad to learn this news. Her postings never gave any hint of the battle she had ongoing. While I never met her in person her personality and class always shone in her posts. Her presence here will be missed. May she rest in peace.
Pennsylvania
5,641 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I'll always remember Salacia as one of the more spirited debaters. May she rest in peace.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Iowa
1,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
How said. Thanks for letting us know, pepperrn. I never met Salacia although we have had quite a few conversations on this forum over the years, especially some lively discussions concerning Cunard deck plans. She will certainly be missed here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Nashville Tennessee
469 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Very Sad to hear. Condolences to all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Majesty of the Seas 2001 Caribbean
Queen Mary 2 2004 Inaugural Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2005 Never again
Queen Mary (Hotel) 2006
Queen Mary 2 2006 Hawaii
Queen Mary 2 2006 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 2007 Caribbean
Queen Mary 2 2009 Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas 2010 Caribbean
Queen Mary 2 2010 Caribbean
Queen Mary (Hotel) 2012
Queen Victoria 2012 Hawaii
Oasis of the Seas 08/2012 Caribbean
Celebrity Equinox Feb 11, 2013 Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette Jan 5, 2014 Caribbean
American Queen June 7, 2014 New Orleans to Memphis
Liberty of the Seas Nov. 17, 2014

Alaska
239 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Salacia struck me as a woman who knew her own mind, and one who always was willing to provide valuable information on this site. She clearly was intelligent, based on her posts, and generous with her time and her thoughts. I had no idea she was experiencing a serious illness. Wouldn't have guessed that from her posts. She will be missed on this forum, that's certain. Best wishes to her family.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Cunard QM2 8/17 - Fashion week!

Past Cruises:
NCL Dawn 7/16 Bermuda
Cunard QM2 9/15 Transatlantic
NCL Jewel Caribbean 1/14
NCL Jade, Italy and Adriatic, 10/12
Viking River Cruise, China, 7/12
Celebrity Solstice W. Carib. 11/10
NCL Pearl Panama Canal 4/10
Lindblad Panorama Greece & Adriatic 9/09
NCL Sun Mex. Riviera 9/08
Celebrity Millenium E. Carib. 1/07
Lindblad Egypt 3/06
Celebrity Summit Mex. Riviera 10/05
Lindblad Polaris Galapagos 5/04
NCL Norway E. Carib 2/97
Virginia
21,841 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Very sad to hear this. I always enjoyed reading her posts and know she will be missed on CC. Condolences to her family.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
Chicago - United States
66 Posts
Joined May 2014
So very sad to hear the news. Salacia was not only a QM2 fan but a tremendous Brooklyn advocate as well. I used much of her advice on my recent pre-crossing day in Brooklyn. Condolences to her family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
131 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Very sad news. I hope DH gets to read this thread and will know how much she was respected on this forum. Salacia was guaranteed to come up with the answer to any query regarding QM2. She will be missed by us.
Condolences to her family and friends.
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
I enjoyed reading her contributions. Very eloquent.
Sincere condolences.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1973 British India - SS Nevasa - Nth. Africa/Canary Is * 1991 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1992 P&O - SS Canberra - Canary Is. * 1993 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1993 Cunard - Queen Elizabeth II - Ireland/France * 1994 CTC - Azerbajan - British Isles/France * 1994 P&O - SS Canbera - Adriatic * 1995 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1997 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1998 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 1999 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 2001 Festival CL - Flamenco - Mediterranean * 2002 NCL - Norwegian Dawn - Transatlantic * 2003 P&O - Oriana - Mediterranean * 2006 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Caribbean * 2015 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Adriatic/Mediterranean
San Francisco, CA
1,109 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Sad news. I always looked forward to her posts. (Even when she was correcting me about something in NY, and about which I would always defer to her knowledge and experience.) My deepest condolences to her family and friends. And happy to hear that she got her wish.

-Mark
2,180 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Trevor Fountain
I enjoyed reading her contributions. Very eloquent.
Sincere condolences.

Hear Hear... i know she locked horns occasionally on here but she was respected for it.

fair winds and following seas Salacia.

Roscoe
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016 World Cruise Blog http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz/?view=magazine
2017 World Cruise Blog http://butarewethereyet.blogspot.co.nz
the more polished general cruise bloghttp://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz
QE2 2002 Tahiti - Auckland
QM2 2004 Southhampton - New York
QE2 2006 New York - Panama - Los Angeles
QV 2008 Singapore - Southampton
QV 2010 Singapore - Southampton
QE 2011 Auckland
Pacific Pearl 2011 South Pacific Cruise
QV 2011 Venice to Rome
QV 2011 Rome to Rome
QE 2012 San Francisco - Sydney
QM2 2013 Auckland - Africa - Southampton
QV 2014 Rio to Sydney
L'Austral 2015 Auckland
QV 2015 Auckland
Qv 2016 Southampton - Southampton Full World
Qv 2017 Valparaiso to San Francisco
North Carolina
3,633 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Very sad news. I always made it a point to read Salacia's posts because there would be, either some informative information, or something lively.

Goodbye, Salacia R.I.P.

Thank you Pepper, for posting.
West Midlands
498 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Thank you for posting.

It is always sad when a great contributor to the forum passes. Salacia had great knowledge of all things Cunard.

Thoughts are with those left behind but memories that will always be treasured.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2019 QE Oct Norway & Northern Lights
2017 QV Oct Adriatic & Aegean gems
2017 QM2 Sep New England & Canada
2017 Windsurf Apr Glitz & Glam in the Riviera
2016 QE Nov Canaries
2016 QV Sep Athens, Greek Isles, Albania & Venice
2016 Eclipse Apr Le Havre
2016 QE Mar Tokyo to Hong Kong (sector of World Cruise)
2015 QV Aug Istanbul & Greek Isles
2015 QE Jul Ireland, Iceland & the Faroes
2015 QE Jun Guernsey
2015 Ventura Apr Belgium
2014 QM2 Dec Christmas markets in Belgium
2014 QE Apr Dubai to S'ton (final sector World Cruise)
2013 QM2 Dec Winter Getaway
2013 QV Aug St Petersburg & Baltic Explorer
2013 QE Jun Fjords & Waterfalls
2012 QV Oct Autumn Adventure
2012 QE Aug Mediterranean Memories
2012 QM2 Jun Summer Getaway (Jubilee sailing)
2012 QV May Spring Getaway
2011 QM2 Oct Taste of France
2011 QV Aug Pearls of the Black Sea
2010 QV Jul Norwegian Fjords

2009 QM2 Nov Transatlantic
2008 QM2 Sep Transatlantic
Washington, DC
650 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
This is sad news indeed. Salacia was a wise and witty contributor to this forum whose encouragement helped me make up my mind to make my first transatlantic crossing. She will be greatly missed and fondly remembered by us all. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. And may her voyage take her to a brighter shore.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums
4,095 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wow this news hits hard. I never met her or spoke with her but she is a main reason we are sailing QM2 next May.

Her posts made me fall in love with this idea.

I will toast to her in the Commodores onboard.

May she Rest In Peace.