[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:35 AM.
Land of Snow
2,345 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Thestapels
Don't feel obligated. Going on my 12th Carnival cruise and have only been to 3 M&G's. All depends on the feel of the roll call.
Exactly. I started the RC for our next cruise, being its a Med cruise it is wonderful for getting groups together for tours....but like you said, it all depends on the feel of the RC......when the "cliques" form, I lay low, not very interested....so it depends, but there is some great info to be gleaned.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Premier Cruise Lines- Big Red Boat- May 1987
CCL- TRIUMPH - Nov 2002 (Eastern Carib.)
CCL- LEGEND - Jan 2004 (Panama Canal)
CCL - VALOR - Feb 2005 (Western Carib.)
CCL - VICTORY- Jan 2006 (Western Carib.)
DIAMOND PRINCESS -Sept 2006 (Alaska - Fairbanks, Denali, Inner Passage)
CCL- DESTINY - Dec 2009 (Western Carib.)
CCL- SPLENDOR - Feb 2010 (Mexican Riviera)
CCL - MIRACLE - Feb 2011 (Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk, La Romana)
RCI - ADVENTURE of the SEAS - Dec 2011 (Southern Carib - Barbados)
CCL - BREEZE - Oct 2012 (Med:Barcelona to Venice)
CCL - GLORY - Feb 2013 (Belize, Coz, Roatan, G. Cayman)
CCL - GLORY - June 2013 (Canada)
NCL - EPIC - Dec 2013 (Eastern Caribbean)
CCL - VICTORY - Dec 2013 (Jamaica, G. Cayman)
RCI - JEWEL of the SEAS - Jan 2015 (San Juan,Martinique,Grenada, St Lucia, Antigua)
CCL - VALOR - Jan 2015 (Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas, St Maarten)
RCI - ENCHANTMENT OTS - Nov 2015 (Bahamas - Coco Cay, Nassau)
RCI - ALLURE OTS - Feb 2016 (Falmouth, Labadee, Cozumel)
REGAL PRINCESS - Dec 2016 (Amber Cove, St. Thos,St. Maarten)
CCL -VISTA - Feb 2017 (G. Turk, LaRomana, Aruba, Bonaire)
CCL - VICTORY - Feb 2017 (Key West, Cozumel)
RCI - HARMONY OTS -Jan 2018 (St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee)
RUBY PRINCESS - Sept 2018 (Seattle to Vancouver)
NCL - BLISS - Sept 2018 (Vancouver to LA)

WV
931 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by peanutzmom
LOL! This is soooo me! I always post in our roll call thread, mainly to find out what excursions people are doing, to get info about ports of call, etc. I'm always too nervous to actually show up at a meet & greet, and I don't want to be full of anxiety on my vacation! BUT...I have met many wonderful CC'rs on excursions or on the ship or whatever, and they're all "Oh, Peanutzmom! I remember reading your posts! It's so nice to meet you!!" I've never met an unpleasant CC'r yet. Hmmmm. maybe I need to get over my anxiety and attend a meet & greet...

After reading your post I really do feel better about my anxiety and reservations on roll calls. I'm still not sure about doing meet & greets, but it would be nice to know what excursions people are doing and trying to get to know some of the people who may be doing some of the same things DH and I will be. Thank you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Carnival Sunshine 5/2/2014- 8 day, Carnival Fascination 12/5/2013- 4 day (1st solo!), Carnival Pride 9/29/2013 7 day, Carnival Glory 5/24/2013- CTN, Carnival Legend 1/27/2013- 7 day, Carnival Fascination 11/24/2012- 5 day My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...al+fascination, Carnival Inspiration 1/24/2011- 5 day
Middle Tennessee
1,002 Posts
Joined May 2010
I like the rolls calls. Good way to learn about your ship, excursions and ports. I have gone to Meet n Greets and then see the people you met around the ship. Right now I am on a very active roll call with lots of activities planned. It's a 15 day Hawaii cruise with lots of sea days that's 18 months away. We are having fun getting to know one another and plan together!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

_____Official Renegade Member and Cheerleader of the Friendless______________________________________
WV
931 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by CharmedMom
I have a touch of the social awkwardness, but tend to start opening up after a few minutes. I'm an easy person to get along with and hate that I feel awkward around new people, so I've been working really hard at trying to be less awkward. My husband on the other hand "makes friends wherever we go" (at least that is what we always say). He'll just strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone.
This describes my DH and I perfectly. I just hate that I feel even more awkward after he's already made friends with everyone in the room and I feel like they look at me and think wow she must be a hoot if she's married to him and I can be, but it just takes me a little longer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Carnival Sunshine 5/2/2014- 8 day, Carnival Fascination 12/5/2013- 4 day (1st solo!), Carnival Pride 9/29/2013 7 day, Carnival Glory 5/24/2013- CTN, Carnival Legend 1/27/2013- 7 day, Carnival Fascination 11/24/2012- 5 day My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...al+fascination, Carnival Inspiration 1/24/2011- 5 day
WV
931 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by funinthesun1964
No, I didn't think you meant anything bad about the roll calls at all, sorry if you thought I did. (if you thought that I thought - LOL)
I think you should join in or start the roll call. Don't feel obligated to meet anyone on the ship if you don't want to. You may be surprised, you could meet someone that you feel a "connection" with on the boards, and then feel totally at ease to meet them in person. You never know! I at one time was not as outgoing as I am now..and still am a bit shy. But have found that once I meet people, am usually glad that I did!

Ah it's ok! It's been hard to read and understand anything this evening since my DS has realized that he can test his limits with things. I never expected him to start trying to push the limits at 6mos, but as a first time parent, I learn something new every day! I'm sorry I didn't read it correctly.

You have a great point with meeting people online before going on the ship. It does make it easier to meet and get to know someone on here before meeting face to face. I really appreciate your advice!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

NE Ohio
4,792 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Mrs CruisinCritter
Ah it's ok! It's been hard to read and understand anything this evening since my DS has realized that he can test his limits with things. I never expected him to start trying to push the limits at 6mos, but as a first time parent, I learn something new every day! I'm sorry I didn't read it correctly.

You have a great point with meeting people online before going on the ship. It does make it easier to meet and get to know someone on here before meeting face to face. I really appreciate your advice!
I hope you have a great cruise, whichever you decide to do, roll call or not / meet people or not. You WILL have a great time, I should say..so many fun things to, or just relax..it's all up to you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Splendor - Sept. 2009 Mexican Riviera

Carnival Fascination - Feb. 2011 HMC and Nassau
Carnival Ecstasy - Sept. 2011 Cozumel and Progresso
Carnival Victory - Feb. 2012 San Juan Southern itinerary
Carnival Glory - July 2012 Boston to St. John NB and Halifax
Carnival Freedom - Oct 2012 KW, Ocho Rios and GC
Carnival Liberty - Feb 2013 Belize, GC, Coz, Roatan
Carnival Pride - Oct 2013 PC, Nassau and Freeport
Carnival Freedom-Feb 2014 St Thom, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau
Carnival Fantasy - July 2014 Nassau and Freeport
Carnival Conquest - Oct 2014 Coz, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya
Carnival Liberty - March 2015 St. Thomas, St Kitts, St. Maarten, Tortola
Carnival Paradise - September 2015 GC, Coz
Carnival Pride - Halloween 2015 Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau
Carnival Conquest - Feb. 2016 GT, La Romana DR, Aruba, Curacao
Carnival Splendor - Oct. 2016 Montego Bay, GC, Cozumel
Carnival Vista - Feb. 2017 Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts, St Maarten

Carnival Paradise - Sept 2017 Key West, Cozumel
Carnival Magic - November 2017 Belize, Coz, Roatan, CM
Carnival Miracle - February 2018 Roatan, Belize, GC, Roatan
Carnival Pride - Sept 2018 Bermuda
Stone Mountain GA
9,564 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
My first cruise I didn't even know about Cruise Critic, but all google roads led here so I joined. I got on a roll call and chatted away with people. I'm a planner and an organizer, not by trade, by hobby, so on my second cruise I joined a roll call, we had three meet and greets, name tags, the works. Everyone showed up. It was fun! I met my best friend on that cruise! Our third cruise we cruised with her and her husband and we joined another roll call, and we all met up again. Third roll call, well I made some great friends, met them, loved them even more and keep in touch with them through emails. Making some great new friends on the next cruise=through roll calls. You can't however tell a book from it's cover, nor by the words they write. Some people are very expressive when they write and when you meet them, they are like blank paper=no personality. You just never know. Get your roll call going, there may be a few other socially awkward people and you could become best friends My hubby says that he doesn't do well socially, but he has enjoyed meeting everyone on the roll calls, and it is fun to run into people on the ship and having some friends before you even cruise.
Sail happy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Cunard-Queen Mary 1961 NY to Cherbourg
Cunard-Queen Elizabeth 1963 Cherbourg to NY
MWA- Heritage 8/05, 8/06
Carnival- Sensation-10/08
Carnival- Legend 01/10, 9/12, 9/16
Carnival- Fascination 12/10,11/11,10/13,11/14, 9/15
Carnival- Elation 1/14, 1/16

I will try one thing today,
that I have never done before,
and when I have finished something new,
I'll go try one thing more.
aem

"Hurray for ships!.....Let us keep them alive as a token of love,to make the last romantics happy. Let us use them to cure the depressed. Let us prescribe sea journeys..." Tiziano Terzani

America-It doesn't matter what ship our ancestors came here on, we're all in the same boat now.

[/url]
Ohio
4,402 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by thestapels
i don't mind if people know i am on vacation. My mil lives with us, so if they would just take her and leave the dogs, i would be ok.
roflmao!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
07/25/17: Legend~ Alaskan Cruise! Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, BC
12/12/16: Victory~Keywest and Cozumel...just a quickie with our favorite Canadians
09/20/15: Liberty~St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten
11/30/13: Liberty~Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman
12/8/12: Breeze~ St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau
11/26/11: Miracle~Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Aruba, Curacao
10/18/09: Legend~Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
10/26/08: Victory~Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Tortola, St. Kitts, St. Maarten
10/14/07: Destiny~St.Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St.Lucia, Antigua
04/06/97: Inspiration~St.Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Maarten, Martinique
West Allis, WI
344 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Hi,
I will be cruising in 3 weeks so this is my first roll call. Everyone on the roll call for my upcoming cruise seems very friendly, so I am looking forward to meeting them. I think rollcalls are great. It is a great way to talk to people who are interested in the same thing you are (the upcoming cruise). It is also a great way to get questions answered. Our upcoming roll call is planning a meet and greet, a slot pull, and a gift exchange. I love meeting new people, so I am looking forward to it.

I would encourage you to create a roll call if one hasn't been created for your cruise yet. You won't know if you will like it or not unless you try it. My philosophy is to try anything once, and if you don't like it you don't ever have to do it again. It is better to try something and not like it than it is to spend the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
WV
931 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
You guys all have me seriously thinking about starting a roll call for at least one of our cruises. It doesn't help my that my DH is also a member on here so he's following the thread and he keeps saying "See! I told you!" after every new post. Maybe I should make him start the roll call lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Pittsburgh, PA
448 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I know both of my cruises are still pretty far away, but I haven't seen a roll call for either of them.
Originally posted by Out to sea!
I check, read, and create the roll calls for my cruises. I have also met or are planning to meet people who I have gotten along with on the roll call. If there hasn't been a roll call created for your cruise, feel free to do so. Someone has to be first!
Check the archives before you start one! I had been researching a particular cruise, and just thought Id check the roll call for fun. It was pretty inactive, as it is pretty far out. A little over a month later, Im almost ready to book our group and checked again: couldnt find the roll call! I knew it was there before! Sure enough, I searched for the date and it showed up in archives (because my settings were only showing posts in the last month).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
06/04/05 - (7day) Navigator of the Seas (Miami) - San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau
08/17/09 - (5day) Carnival Fantasy (New Orleans) - Progreso, Cozumel
01/29/11 - (5day) Carnival Destiny (Miami) - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman
04/28/13 - (7day) Carnival Valor (San Juan) - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten
09/14/14 - (7day) Carnival Pride (Baltimore) - Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport
09/06/15 - (7day) Independence of the Seas (Ft Lauderdale) - Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Unofficial VP of Port Inspection
Orlando, FL
363 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
This cruise will be our first since I joined Cruise Critic. I know our cruise is pretty far away, but I'm really excited and started a roll call for it...well I just went to check it and it's GONE! When I go to my User CP I see that I started the thread and the link still works to go to it, but when I go to the Roll Calls for Paradise it isn't there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Didi C

Carnival Paradise - sailed 5/13/2013 - Wedding 5/15/2013

Majesty of the Seas - sailed 10/12/1997
Pittsburgh, PA
448 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by aggiejade
I like the rolls calls. Good way to learn about your ship, excursions and ports. I have gone to Meet n Greets and then see the people you met around the ship. Right now I am on a very active roll call with lots of activities planned. It's a 15 day Hawaii cruise with lots of sea days that's 18 months away. We are having fun getting to know one another and plan together!
I agree... for the same reasons! Plus, its a nice way to pass the time before the cruise by sharing your excitement with others who are just as enthusiastic. Once onboard, its nice to sometimes see a familiar face who asks how your excursion was today or reminds you about the free drinks at the past guest party tonight

Originally posted by tassycatt
Ive met some very nice people from my roll calls. We've even got together and booked some very reasonably excursions with them as a group. Last month met a wonderful family...wished we lived closer...just genuinely nice people.
I met a family onboard that I unknowingly had "met" on the roll call. We didnt figure it out until we got home and re-connected on the boards... after I went on a date with the one son... and am still dating 2.5 years later! I have even met some nice people from Canada and NY with whom I still keep in touch, and with whom I am planning another cruise!

But I can understand that its not for everyone. Some people want it to be their time away from EVERYTHING. And thats the beauty... it can be whatever you want it to be!

meeting people in person for the first time can make me look like the most awkward person in the world and if people can get past the first few hours and not think I'm a total weirdo then I do open up.
I kinda feel this way too, Mrs CruisinCritter! And, I sorta have a theory as to why... but I dont want to sound completely crazy! LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
06/04/05 - (7day) Navigator of the Seas (Miami) - San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau
04/28/13 - (7day) Carnival Valor (San Juan) - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten
09/06/15 - (7day) Independence of the Seas (Ft Lauderdale) - Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

KS
3,371 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
I didn't even know about roll calls til our last cruise. That roll call was a blast. We did 2 M/G, tea, & cabin crawl. But for me, it was more of a way to pass the time waiting for our sail date, discussing excursions, pre/ post cruise hotels, & it was nice to see a familiar face while onboard. We didn't seek anyone out to become "buds" with specifically, but did end up making some good friends. I was accused of being the ringleader by a DH, he wanted to meet that crazy person his wife had met on RCall. But the roll call I am on now is pretty slow. Nobody else pops in just to chat. I just want a way to pass the time til we cruise, get ideas about excursions, etc.

Luv the MIL joke, LOL, hope your MIL doesn't read this.

To OP, you'll never know til ya try, might have fun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Coming up**
Miracle to Hawaii- Dec 2, 2017 - 15 days - Platinum
Past Cruises:
*Splendor/Feb 26 2017- 7 days -slow cruise, missed ports.
*Freedom/Sept, 2016/W Caribbean - 7 days
*Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam - April 10,2016 Panama Canal- Full transit -19days
*Dream-April,2014/repo-9 days
*Breeze/Oct2013/E Caribbean-8 days
*Dream/Nov2012/W Caribbean-7 days
*Legend/Dec2011/W Caribbean-7 days
*Conquest/Feb 2011/W Caribbean- 7 days
*Pride/Nov 2008/Mexican Riviera- 7 days
*Valor/March 2008/E Caribbean- 7 days
*Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas/Alaska/July 2007- 7 days
Pittsburgh, PA
448 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by 2013CruiseBride
This cruise will be our first since I joined Cruise Critic. I know our cruise is pretty far away, but I'm really excited and started a roll call for it...well I just went to check it and it's GONE! When I go to my User CP I see that I started the thread and the link still works to go to it, but when I go to the Roll Calls for Paradise it isn't there.
Adjust your settings so that you can see posts older than a month. Or post a line seeing if there is anyone new sailing; that should bring it back to the active boards.

There was a poster who has started about 7 roll calls for the same cruise... I can only assume this was happening to her, too. How would anybody know which roll call to join?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises

Orlando, FL
363 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by sugaangel601
Sure enough, I searched for the date and it showed up in archives (because my settings were only showing posts in the last month).
Hmm.. maybe I should have read your post all the way before I posted mine!! LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Didi C

Carnival Paradise - sailed 5/13/2013 - Wedding 5/15/2013

Majesty of the Seas - sailed 10/12/1997
Carolina
8,700 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
I always do the roll calls and attend most of the M & G's. It's a good way to meet new friends and share cruise activities.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2/10/18 Summit (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/29/17 Vista (Halloween)
10/29/16 Conquest (Halloween)
2/21/16 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/19/15 Victory (5 days with friends)
1/8/15 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/8/14 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze Part 2)
1/12/14 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/10/13 Victory B2B (Victory is Mine)[/font]
1/13/13 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/24/12 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze)
1/15/12 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
12/4/11 Miracle (x-mas on the beach)
1/16/11 Noordam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/18/10 Fantasy
9/20/09 Sensation
11/08 Westerdam (Dave Koz & Friends)
2008 Caribbean Princess
10/2/06 Celebration
10/9/05 Destiny
2002 Costa Cruise Line
WV
931 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by sugaangel601
I kinda feel this way too, Mrs CruisinCritter! And, I sorta have a theory as to why... but I dont want to sound completely crazy! LOL

LOL You have peaked my curiousity!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Southern Illinois
321 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I usually check the roll call for the cruise we are booked for, and I will respond to some chatter, in 2009 we were chatting on the roll call with different people for our cruise, while we were in line waiting for embarkation, we were talking to a couple making small talk when we both the woman in the couple mentioned being on the roll call. We all got quite a kick out of the fact that we were in line with someone we had been chatting with on the roll call. We met up later and ended up spending all week with them at dinner, shows and whatever activities we liked. We live in southern Illinois, they live in southern California and we have all become great friends, we have stayed at their home twice on vacations and went on a cruise with them last fall. So even though you may not make a great connection with anyone on every cruise, the one you make may be very special to you.

Whatever you choose, have fun, I am usually the one who will talk to anyone, my wife thinks I am crazy sometimes, but she has admitted that we have lots of fun talking to people from around the US and other countries.

Scott
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scott and Diane

Navigator of The Seas 3/16
Carnival Conquest 9/16 - booked
Carnival Liberty 3/16
Carnival Miracle 9/15
Adventure of The Seas 3/15
Carnival Glory 9/14
Carnival Valor 9/13
Sapphire Princess 10/12
Carnival Freedom 10/11
Carnival Legend 9/10
Star Princess 5/09
Carnival Destiny 5/08
NCL Spirit 9/07
Carnival Triumph 1/07
Sensation 6/05
Carnival Conquest 1/04
Earl North Carolina
995 Posts
Joined May 2008
I usually check out and participate in the online roll call but on the last cruise I didn't participate in the actual onboard roll call activities, however the previous cruise we did.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Martha

Carnival Magic
Carnival Sunshine - Journey's Cruise
Carnival Dream
Carnival Breeze http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1941457
Carnival Legend http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1484405
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Holiday