Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:00 AM.
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,974 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
On my cruise last year I didn't participate other than online as I wanted a week to just my girlfriend. We are very social and met many wonder full people on the cruise but we didn't want to worry about meetings and stuff.

My upcoming cruise its all about our kids so we wont be doing any roll calls.

We might do them after but I don't think it would be wisel. I cant keep quiet when I see folks get bullied here by the fanatics so I am sure I pissed off a good number of folks by now. I should probably lay low.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My only review
Carnival Liberty - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1409898
Georgia
1,577 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Do you "Roll Call"?

Oh yeah!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fascination Serenity Deck -
my favorite place to hang out!

Carnival Holiday - April 2005
Carnival Holiday - December 2008
Carnival Fascination-December2010
Carnival Fascination - May 2011
Carnival Inspiration - June 2011
Carnival Fascination - May 2012
Carnival Legend - September 2012
Carnival Breeze - April 2013
Carnival Fascination - July 2013
Carnival Breeze - August 2013
Carnival Sensation - January 2014
Carnival Fascination - June 2014
Carnival Breeze - March 2015
Carnival Vista - November 2016

Carnival Liberty - January 2017

Unofficial #1 fan of Bitter and Blanc
Coastal SC
402 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I join the Roll Calls online to read about the possible demographics on the ship. We have a son who is 15 and I like to make sure there are some others his age. I also read a lot of posts about excursions and pre-cruise hotel options. I am reasonably social on the roll calls but I have yet to go to a meet/greet or any other function for the roll call. As far as I can tell, only a few have been that organized with plans, but even if they all were, I still wouldn't go. While I am reasonably social in reality too, I do have a little social anxiety in big groups of people I've never actually met.

What's funny is on our Christmas Cruise on the Liberty OTS, we were at the wine bar when I overheard a fellow patron mention where he was from. I don't know why I thought he would be the only one on board from Canada, but we struck up a conversation. The next thing I know, we are making introductions with our partners, and he was telling they were meeting up with some others from the roll call informally. 5 nights later and multiple meet-ups, we had a great time and some great new friends. Hopefully in the future things will work out with a visit when we are in their neck of the woods, but if it doesn't, we have some great stories.

Join online, and know that it doesn't have to go any further than you are interested. Some of the others might be able to help you make the most of your trip. If you seem to connect well with one or two, you can always make plans to meet up with just a few of them. Maybe not so overwhelming then.

Whatever you decide, go at your pace. The roll calls aren't going anywhere
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Liberty - June 2014
Carnival Fantasy - February 2014
Carnival Liberty - July 2012
Carnival Fantasy - April 2012
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - December 2011
Carnival Dream - July 2011
Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas - April 2011
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - August 2009
Carnival Liberty - June 2008
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - June 2007
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas - October 2005
Premier Cruise Line/ Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic 1991, 1993
Along LI Sound, CT
938 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by Rottweiler Puppy
On my cruise last year I didn't participate other than online as I wanted a week to just my girlfriend. We are very social and met many wonder full people on the cruise but we didn't want to worry about meetings and stuff.

My upcoming cruise its all about our kids so we wont be doing any roll calls.

We might do them after but I don't think it would be wisel. I cant keep quiet when I see folks get bullied here by the fanatics so I am sure I pissed off a good number of folks by now. I should probably lay low.

Well, you I would meet. I've noticed how you always stick up for the underdog. That's a great way to be.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Heidi-

CCL Mardi Gras
CCL Glory
CCL Legend
NCL Dawn
CCL Splendor
CCL Valor
NCL Dawn
CCL Pride
CCL Conquest
NCL Dawn (8/11/17)
CCL Splendor (12/10/17)
Brookhaven, GA.
5,523 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Not I.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

GOTTA LOVE CRUISING
I am not in a hurry, I am on VACATION!!

Emerald Seas 8/80-Bahamas
Carnival Fantasy 5/92-Bahamas

Carnival Fantasy 4/94-Bahamas
Norwegian Sea 11/02-Western Caribbean
Carnival Triumph 11/04-Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Celebration 3/07-Bahamas
Holland America Eurodam 4/09-Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Eclipse 4/11-Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 2/12-Western Caribbean (17th Anniversary )
Holland America Eurodam 3/12-Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 11/12- Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette 4/13- Western Caribbean
Disney Dream 1/14 Bahamas
Royal Princess 4/14- Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 4/14 Western Caribbean
Celebrity Constellation 2/15 Bahamas (20th Anniversary)
Star Princess 4/15 California Coastal
Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam 4/16- Western Caribbean
Virginia
658 Posts
Joined May 2010
Joined a roll call last year and did the meet & greet...it was awesome! Met some wonderful people! We stayed in contact through the year and ended up that we're going on the same cruise again this year, so we started a new roll call and arranged another meet & greet. We didn't feel obligated to hang out together, but it was so nice to see people that we knew around the ship...we'd stop, talk for a while, share a drink, etc. I'm not normally very social, but I am so glad that I decided to participate last year because I met some people who I'm sure we'll be friends for a long, long time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

May 2010 Carnival Glory--Bahamas
May 2009 Star Princess--Alaska
June 2006 Carnival Conquest--Western Caribbean
Maine
8,209 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Not usually. We have little interest in 'getting together' while on board, and most of the roll calls I join diverge into a few lonely people talking back and forth about their everyday lives leading up to the cruise, and I am even less interested in that.
Ohio
3,347 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I joined the roll call for our Dec 2012 cruise back in June and have been chatting primarily with one other lady until recently when we got a few more people checking in. Our children are around the same ages so they will have someone to look out for to start with. We are just now talking about trying to do a meet and greet if possible. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

05-15-2011 Carnival Pride
12-02-2012 Carnival Pride
06-02-2013 Carnival Valor

04-23-2017 Carnival Pride

Raleigh NC
2,887 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Meh, I'm kinda over the roll call thing. I mean, I've been checking on the ones for my next 2 cruises and making chit chat here and there but don't plan to meet up. Participated in one last year. Actually did end up meeting a few nice people, but as a whole, there was a lot of junior high drama that I could've easily done without. Me and DH tend to cruise to "get away from it all" since our jobs are stressful and require so much interation with others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Liberty - July 2007
Carnival Glory - April/May 2008
RCI Monarch of the Seas - August 2009
Carnival Legend - October 2010
Carnival Miracle - October 2011
Carnival Ecstasy - April 2012
Carnival Legend - October 2012
South Carolina
3,977 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
On our first cruise (NCL) I organized the meet and greet on our roll-call. A group of us also met for a drink during sail-away. We all wore Mardi gras beads and met at a specific location so we could find each other easier. On my second cruise we also participated in the roll call and attended the meet and greet. It's a great way to meet the officers on the ship and we got invited for a bridge tour on our last sea day. We also met up with quite a few members on various excursions and shared a birthday surprise with one couple in Costa Maya.

Does Carnival do anything for CC meets and greets? On NCL they provide snacks and juice/water/coffee and have the senior officers including the captain available to speak to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
John Lennon

Upcoming cruises:
Feb/2018 7 day Western Caribbean on the Oasis of the Seas - Balcony
Jan/2019 7 day Western Caribbean on the Norwegian Epic - Aft Balcony

Completed cruises:
Jan/2017 8 day Caribbean on the Carnival Sunshine Aft Balcony
Jan/2016 Carnival Dream - 7 Day to Key West and the Bahamas
Feb/2015 Norwegian Sun - 7 Day Western Caribbean - Forward PH
Feb/2014 Independence of the Seas - 8 day cruise - Aft corner
Feb/2013 Carnival Valor - Repositioning cruise to Puerto Rico - Aft Wrap

Jan/2012 NCL Star - Western Caribbean - Aft PH
Jan/2011 NCL Sun - Eastern Caribbean - Mini Suite

Maryland
3,464 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I do join them but don't necessarily go to the meets. I like talking to the other 'roll callers'. There are always things to learn.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
barnegat, nj
2,395 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by golfadj
Some of the roll calls are outstanding and some are duds.

Best one was last year on Miracle to Bermuda and think we made some friends for life.
Ah, yes, I remember your roll call was huge! We were on the Bermuda cruise after yours and that was about the best roll call I have ever been involved with.

I will usually participate in my roll calls, but rarely feel the need/desire to go to the m&g's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Premier Royale ~ Bahamas '88 ~ RCCL Song of America ~ Bermuda '97
RCCL Nordic Empress ~ Bermuda '98 & '99 ~ Carnival Destiny ~ carrib '00
Celeb Horizon ~ Bermuda '00 ~ Carnival Triumph ~ carrib '01
Celeb Horizon ~ Bermuda '02 ~ Princess ~ carrib '03
NCL Dawn ~ bahamas '04 ~ Celeb Zenith ~ Bermuda '04
NCL Dawn ~ bahamas '05 ~ HAL Noordam ~ sth. carib '06
RCCL Explorer ~ Bermuda '06 ~ HAL Noordam ~ sth. carib '07 Celeb Summit ~ Bermuda '10
Carnival Miracle Bermuda '11 Miracle 9/27/2011 Bermuda Cruise Review
HAL Veendam ~ Bermuda '12 & Link to my Veendam Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35193644#post35193644
Carnival Ecstasy ~ '12+'13 & Link to my 2013 Ecstasy Photo review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788306
Celeb Summit ~ Bermuda Aug '13 ~ RCCL ExplorerOTS ~ carrib '14 Carnival Conquest ~ carrib '15
RCCL Grandeur ~ Bermuda '15 Carnival Pride '15 & '16 Carrib & Bermuda
Carnival Paradise '17 carrib 187 days at sea! 19 more coming up!

Texas
847 Posts
Joined May 2010
I try to, mostly to fiend kids my daughters age before camp or circle c starts. Better to meet people in a informal setting frist.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,845 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by BeccaBecca1713
Meh, I'm kinda over the roll call thing. I mean, I've been checking on the ones for my next 2 cruises and making chit chat here and there but don't plan to meet up. Participated in one last year. Actually did end up meeting a few nice people, but as a whole, there was a lot of junior high drama that I could've easily done without. Me and DH tend to cruise to "get away from it all" since our jobs are stressful and require so much interation with others.
You just said a mouthful my friend! ;-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cary and Susan

Bawston Boy + Jersey Girl (plus our cruising mascots Jumbo the Elephant and Clark the Minion) = match made in heaven!

I admit that we're cruise junkies!!!!

Way too many cruises to count:
19 on Carnival
7 on Norwegian
5 on Royal Caribbean
WV
931 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I may pick one of our upcoming cruises and start a roll call. Now my only problem is my tendency to over-think things. I will spend the next several days trying to decide what to title the thread, but I'm sure I will probably just go basic with the ship name and date like most of the others. lol Anxiety can be a real hurdle sometimes
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Carnival Sunshine 5/2/2014- 8 day, Carnival Fascination 12/5/2013- 4 day (1st solo!), Carnival Pride 9/29/2013 7 day, Carnival Glory 5/24/2013- CTN, Carnival Legend 1/27/2013- 7 day, Carnival Fascination 11/24/2012- 5 day My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...al+fascination, Carnival Inspiration 1/24/2011- 5 day
Merrill, Michigan
5,630 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
The one for our Conquest cruise wasn't bad. For the Glory, it was the worst experience of my life. For the Dream, they wanted to do a pub crawl, cabin crawl and meet at sail-away. We don't drink that much and we certainly didn't want strangers crawling around in our cabin. At sail-away, we want to enjoy watching the ship go out to sea. I never did meet any of them on that one.

Some are good, others are far from it. Best bet is to find one for you cruise, follow it, then determine if you want to be a part of it or not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dick
"To Sea or Not To Sea"
~~^~~Sea Ya!~~^~~
Carnival Destiny 02-28-99
Carnival Victory 02-24-01
Carnival Conquest 02-09-03
Carnival Glory 02-19-05
Adventure of the Seas 03-09-08 (Never Again )
Carnival Dream 02-19-2011
Carnival Freedom 02-23-2013 (Best One Yet)
Carnival Victory 02-16-15
Carnival Liberty 02-22-15
Carnival Conquest 02-04-2017
Carnival Paradise 10-09-2017
Carnival Horizon 02-23-2019
New Braunfels , Texas
305 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by aggiejade
I like the rolls calls. Good way to learn about your ship, excursions and ports. I have gone to Meet n Greets and then see the people you met around the ship. Right now I am on a very active roll call with lots of activities planned. It's a 15 day Hawaii cruise with lots of sea days that's 18 months away. We are having fun getting to know one another and plan together!
I am on a very active and very fun roll call too--ours is also a 15 day Hawaii and we leave in 19 days--most of us on this roll call booked this cruise in July-Oct of 2010 and it is finally here and all of us feel like old friends and now we are finally going to meet face to face---we have over 100 people going to our meet and greet and 50 going to dinner at the hotel in San Diego where many of us are staying. It is a CRUISE CRITIC SPONSORED CRUISE and we have a wonderful leader who has many activities planned for us as there are 8 sea days. I would not hesitate doing another roll call on future cruises, especially if it is as active as this one, I have really had fun reading the posts and posting and will probably miss it when we get back. Hopefully some of us will stay in touch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Paradise- December 2004 Catalina/Ensenada

Carnival Conquest- October 2005 Western Caribbean

Holland America-June 2007 Alaska

Carnival Conquest-July 2010- Bahamas/ Key West
Carnival Splendor--April, 2011- Mexican Riviera
Carnival Spirit 15 day Hawaii April 2012
NC
1,039 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I do go to the roll call to see what is being said and we have joined in several M&G's...a couple boring no one talking and we end up leaving early... the best being one where a lady set it up with Holland America and they provided wine, mimosas. punch and snacks...not sure who paid because I can't see that it was free. She had name tags for us and we had all brought a ten dollar gift per couple to represent our state and play the dirty santa game of taking it away from each other. Also we are not big drinkers but she had a pub crawl and other gatherings...cards, games during the week and even a lunch on the last sea day which we also attended...it was a lot of fun and she put a lot of time and effort into it for us who were strangers to her...thank goodness for nice people.

Missygirl
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RC Nordic Empress....Sept. 16 1991
Celebrity Meridian....Oct. 1996
Carnival Triumph.....June, 2002
HAL Zaandam..........March 2005
HAL Oosterdam........May 19, 2006
HAL Zuiderdam........Nov. 11 2006
HAL Zuiderdam........Oct. 27 2007
Carnival Destiny.......Oct. 6 2008
Princess Star Princess.July 19 2009
RC Monarch/Seas.....Aug. 31 2009
Celebrity Mercury.....April 9 2010
Carnival Fantasy.......July 2 2011
Carnival Ecstasy........July 2 2012
Carnival Fantasy.......Dec. 8 2012
Carnival Fantasy.......Nov. 2 2013
Carnival Glory..........Feb. 21 2015
Carnival Fantasy.......Aug. 15 2015
Carnival Valor..........Sept. 30 2016
Carnval Sunshine......April 15 2017
Carnival Ecstasy........Nov. 5 2017
Ottawa, Canada
11,963 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Since finding Cruise Critic in 2004 I have participated in all my roll calls - usually with great success! Love chatting with other cruisers enjoying the anticipation of the cruise and sharing tips and tours and all sorts of cruise info!

Also attend the M&Gs and have definitely made life long friends at some of those - and even found some 'future' cruising buddies as well. I say go for it - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

LINK TO MY BREEZE TA REVIEW NOV 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753554
LINK TO MY LIBERTY REVIEW JAN 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1564561
LINK TO MY DESTINY REVIEW FEB 2011 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369046
LINK TO MY VALOR REVIEW JAN 2010
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1143537

Carnival Glory - March 2017
Carnival Vista - Feb 2017
Carnival Vista TA - Oct 2016
Carnival Splendor - Feb 2016
Carnival Triumph - Nov 2015
NCL Epic TA - Oct 2014
Carnival Liberty - May 2014
Carnival Dream - Jan 2014
Carnival Ecstasy - Dec 2013
Carnival Sunshine TA - Nov 2013