Visas

roothy123

OK, now I have to admit that I'm impressed with the information on Viking's website regarding the topic of visas. People are always asking on Cruise Critic if a visa is needed if for touring in St. Petersburg. In many situations they are not. However, my favorite cruise line and many others give out erroneous information. I've never been sure if the cruise lines just don't know the correct answer or are not providing it so that more people take their shore excursions (no visa needed). Viking has the correct info, so kudos to them for not perpetuating this myth that you must either buy an expensive visa to tour on your own or not buy a visa and take a ship's excursion instead.

Incidentally, there IS a requirement for some people to get a Turkish visa. I don't know how it applies to touring on your own or with a private group, but from what I've read, it IS required (at least for U.S. citizens) if you're flying in or out of Turkey. Luckily, it can be obtained online, without a long waiting period, and it is only $20.

Hi Roothy - while I agree with you that they did a very good job on the St Petersburg visa issue, I think they should have at least MENTIONED the Turkish visa requirement. After all, how are we getting to Istanbul if not by airplane. I think Viking MAY have circumvented the requirement of you're getting your air and transfer through them, but many of us aren't, and we definitely need a visa!

I think they are so knowlegable about the Russian visa because they've been doing the Waterways of the Tsars cruise for so long. Great trip by the way!

My situation is a little different, as we cruise Venice to Istanbul, with a stop in Kusadasi, and then stay over in Istanbul before flying home. If you count the Kusadasi and Istanbul time (on the cruise and on our own) together, it is clearly more than 72 hours, but I wonder if some people can get away without a visa if they simply plan to stay overnight (one night only) in Istanbul and then fly home. Here's about all Turkey's visa information (http://www.evisa.gov.tr) provides:

According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours.

I'll just go ahead and get a visa, but it does make me wonder if Turkish authorities at the port or the person who checks me in at the hotel will ask for a visa. I also wonder if one would be required if I stayed less than 72 hours, with or without counting Kusadasi!

Edited by roothy123