Newbie with questions - Viking Star

newcruiser1956

I am booked on the Star Dec 2018 for Italy/France. Has any one sailed on this ship? (I do not find it in the reviews)

I have seen people say Viking ships do not have gyms etc, this one has one in the 360 degree tour.

We start sailing on 12/23, will places be open for excursions etc on Christmas? We will be in Marselilles for approx 18 hours on Christmas.

How often do they change the sheets on a 14 day cruise

Thank you

Edited by newcruiser1956

I am booked on the Star Dec 2018 for Italy/France. Has any one sailed on this ship? (I do not find it in the reviews)

I have seen people say Viking ships do not have gyms etc, this one has one in the 360 degree tour.

We start sailing on 12/23, will places be open for excursions etc on Christmas? We will be in Marselilles for approx 18 hours on Christmas.

Thank you

You can learn a lot more about Viking Ocean Cruises and the Viking Star on the Viking website. Start here with your ship and then read the My Trip section, especially the FAQ section. You will learn a lot in a short amount of time. Yes, there is a very nice gym--and an even nicer spa that is open to all passengers. You can see pictures of both facilities on the ship page under the 360 tour.

Christmas Day is tough day for touring but Viking will do the best it can; museums, etc. will be closed. This will be the first time that Viking has spent Christmas Day in Marseilles and last year I believe it was an at-sea day. Here is a link to the kind of tours that may be available in Marseilles; this is a generic page and not all of these tours will actually be offered on your sailing--but it is a start. In each port, there is one included tour and it is so marked; for any of the other tours shown, there will be a fee. Of course, you may be very glad for a quiet day to get over jetlag.

Your cruise covers more than Italy and France; it also goes to Spain, Tunisia and Algiers.

2017_Mediterranean_Explorations_956x690_tcm13-96987.jpg

Thank you so much for so much info!!

quote=Peregrina651;53670431]You can learn a lot more about Viking Ocean Cruises and the Viking Star on the Viking website. Start here with your ship and then read the My Trip section, especially the FAQ section. You will learn a lot in a short amount of time. Yes, there is a very nice gym--and an even nicer spa that is open to all passengers. You can see pictures of both facilities on the ship page under the 360 tour.

Christmas Day is tough day for touring but Viking will do the best it can; museums, etc. will be closed. This will be the first time that Viking has spent Christmas Day in Marseilles and last year I believe it was an at-sea day. Here is a link to the kind of tours that may be available in Marseilles; this is a generic page and not all of these tours will actually be offered on your sailing--but it is a start. In each port, there is one included tour and it is so marked; for any of the other tours shown, there will be a fee. Of course, you may be very glad for a quiet day to get over jetlag.

Your cruise covers more than Italy and France; it also goes to Spain, Tunisia and Algiers.

2017_Mediterranean_Explorations_956x690_tcm13-96987.jpg

There's definitely a gym on Star. I don't know the answer about the sheets, but if you want them changed more frequently, I suppose you could ask the cabin attendant or his/her assistant. The same goes for the towels, except that I think there's a little message about that in the bathroom (if you want them replaced, leave them on the floor, I think). I believe the washcloths were replaced each day.

You're not the first river cruiser to be surprised to find out that he/she booked an ocean cruise. There was a woman on our cruise last month who didn't know she had booked an ocean cruise until she got to the embarkation port the first day! In any case, as a newbie, in addition to the great suggestions from peregrina, you might want to read this Cruise Critic thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2506658

If you want to learn more about the places you'll visit, where the ship might dock in each place, etc. I'd head over to tomsportguides.com - my first stop in learning about what I'll see, or at least can see.

There are some reviews about Star (which is identical to Sky and Sea in layout, etc.) but you'll have to go back to anther section of Cruise Critic to find them. I believe the "Reviews" section you'll see at the top of the screen is where you'll find them. When I wrote one for our recent Star cruise, there were quite a few.

Thank you

Viking Star is a beautiful ship and has a lot to offer. I second roothy123 that there is a message next to the towel holder to put towels on the floor if you want/need them to change. There is no note about bedsheets but we had fresh daily.

It is tough with Christmas. There are a lot of places that are closed even on regular Sundays. We were in Rostock, Germany 8 days ago and everything was closed except of cafes, restaurants, and produce stands. Churches also have Sunday service so it depends when is your tour.

If you want to learn more about the places you'll visit, where the ship might dock in each place, etc. I'd head over to tomsportguides.com - my first stop in learning about what I'll see, or at least can see.

Thank you for suggesting this to the OP; I went to the site and I love the level of detail of each guide.