Viking homelands train to Berlin

Bainesmann

We did not go to Berlin so this is second hand information from those on our Baltic Cruise. The train was very comfortable. there were cars for Viking passengers ( not sure if Viking had the entire train). I think this may have been the first time that a train not a bus was used! The train was LATE leaving each way. (30-45 minutes) The group left quite early but the World Cafe opened early for breakfast. Very little grumbling from returning passengers......everyone I spoke to was happy not to have been on a bus!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the train to Berlin a couple of days ago. No, there are no first class seating. Your car is assigned by tour and bus. They run it great. No glitches. They keep to the assigned departure hours because it is the railway that dictates time. (So don't be late). It was a very hot day in Berlin and the train heated up while sitting stationery. We were all miserable waiting for the last bus to arrive because the train does not have AC. Once we got going, the breeze through the windows cooled down the cars. I tell you that not to complain about it but to warn you. Personally, I am happy we went by train and not by bus.

As jiminyC mentioned, there are several cars just for Viking tours, and no, there is no air conditioning, but the breeze will come through. There is a WC located every couple of cars, and about 1:45 hrs in, quite a large line queues up, so it's a good idea to go the second you know you'll need to. There is also a food/beverage offering on the train--instant coffee and a cookie on the way there, and a pretzel roll and wine/beer on the way back. Water bottles available both ways. Also, if you are doing Berlin Your Way, be aware that there is a 1:30 hr bus tour of the city, leaving you about 4 hrs time to explore on your own. I thought you'd have time to yourself from the get-go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The trains and buses ran on time on our day, and the drop-off point in Berlin was the Hilton.

As jiminyC mentioned, there are several cars just for Viking tours, and no, there is no air conditioning, but the breeze will come through. There is a WC located every couple of cars, and about 1:45 hrs in, quite a large line queues up, so it's a good idea to go the second you know you'll need to. There is also a food/beverage offering on the train--instant coffee and a cookie on the way there, and a pretzel roll and wine/beer on the way back. Water bottles available both ways. Also, if you are doing Berlin Your Way, be aware that there is a 1:30 hr bus tour of the city, leaving you about 4 hrs time to explore on your own. I thought you'd have time to yourself from the get-go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The trains and buses ran on time on our day, and the drop-off point in Berlin was the Hilton.

Also be aware that you may see a table for Viking in the lobby but they are there for the River Cruises, your information point will be in the park, across the street.

• 3 months later...
Also, if you are doing Berlin Your Way, be aware that there is a 1:30 hr bus tour of the city, leaving you about 4 hrs time to explore on your own. I thought you'd have time to yourself from the get-go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The trains and buses ran on time on our day, and the drop-off point in Berlin was the Hilton.

We are only planning on taking the train to Berlin and hiring our own personal guide for a 5-6 hr walking tour. I was assuming that the pick up location to meet a guide would be the train station. Is there then a bus ride from train to the Hilton? I can just see how long the boarding and deboarding the bus would take. I can probably walk faster. Or, is the drop off at the Hilton just for those taking the Berlin Your Way Tour?

And, just for clarification...the train station in Berlin is Hauptbahnhof?

Thank you for any input

We are only planning on taking the train to Berlin and hiring our own personal guide for a 5-6 hr walking tour. I was assuming that the pick up location to meet a guide would be the train station. Is there then a bus ride from train to the Hilton? I can just see how long the boarding and deboarding the bus would take. I can probably walk faster. Or, is the drop off at the Hilton just for those taking the Berlin Your Way Tour?

And, just for clarification...the train station in Berlin is Hauptbahnhof?

Thank you for any input

I covered this in my post on Railway Stations In Berlin. The bus ride with Berlin on your own is before you go to drop off point. Have your guide meet you at arrving station and get you to departing station

We took this train in July 2017 on the Homelands cruise, and it did get warm on the return trip due to no AC. The Viking rep who traveled with us and made sure we were all on the train, etc. said the train cars are old. We splurged for the Viking optional tour in Berlin (Historic Berlin) because we didn't want to have to worry about finding our own way back to the train, etc., and we were glad we did. Tour guide was wonderful--very knowledgeable and entertaining. The tour hit many important sights and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The included lunch was very good too. The trip back only took about 2 hours.