San Diego Feb 2005

mjarens

Any hints on interesting hotels for Fri, Sat & Sunday nights before Mexican Riviera cruise? Many vote for Holiday Inn across from the pier which could be good choice. Any other suggestions? We will be visiting the zoo and Balboa Park, Gaslamp district, old town, maybe La Jolla.

Next cruise: Mercury Feb 7, 2005 Mexican Riviera

I will tell who gets my vote and that is the Shearton Harbor Island in the west tower. Ask for a high bay view you can see downtown also. There are restaurants within walking distance and between the east and the west tower there is a deli (privately owned) and an outdoor dinning area overlooking the marina. The old town trolly stops right at the front door. Trust the Snowman on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that Holiday Inn is allright and VERY convenient. I agree though the Sheraton Harbor Island is much nicer, just across from the airport and a few minutes for the port terminal. It is on Harbor island and faces downtown and North Island where the huge aircraft carriers are berthed. I think Only the Midway is in port currently. (Was there last week). Many nice restuarants and safe place to walk and all right there.

2 other choices.. Embassy Suites which is just down the street from the terminal and the Hilton at the gaslamp which is approximately 1 mile away. Both are nice hotels. There is also a charming bed and breakfast called the Horton Grand right in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter. It is very nice. Area is pretty safe too, no worries about walking to look around or for a good restaurant. If you need suggestions just holler icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps... let me know if you need anything else...am a SD native and happy to help!

Nancy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2004;07;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  till we cruise...

I like the Embassy Suites, or anothr idea would be somewhere on Hotel Circle, that way you are central to everything around you. If you havn't already been to Balboa Park , don't miss it , it is one of my favorite places. The art museum is not large but very good. It is just a nice place to spend an afternoon. Enjoy

Cori

Has anyone stayed at the Westin Horton Plaza Hotel? I just got reservations for July 3rd. I'm looking forward to their heavenly beds.

skipitrip.gif

Legend of the Seas 07/4/2004 Mexican Riviera

Past Cruises;

Voyager of the Seas 08/2003

Granduer of the Seas 04/2003

Rapsody of the Seas 05/1998

Viking Seranade 08/1994

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 123CruiseFever:

Has anyone stayed at the Westin Horton Plaza Hotel? I just got reservations for July 3rd. I'm looking forward to their heavenly beds.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We haven't stayed there, but did stay at the W in San Diego, 4 blocks from the pier, and the heavenly beds are absolutely wonderful icon_smile.gif

To the OP, this Web Site may help you! The Holiday Inn is right across from the pier, very convenient -- they have a wonderful outside restaurant.

Have fun planning icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Haven't stayed at Westin Horton Plaza, but did attend a seminar there for a week. It is nice, but right in the busiest area, and if you have a car, the parking fee is expensise per day I think it was something like 10 or 12 per day for guests of the hotel. One nice thing you are right in the shopping mall literally, and there is a ticket booth for shows etc. right there in the plaza, you can walk to the gas lamp district from the hotel. But will need transportation to the other areas. Have a good time , we love San Diego and have been going there for weekend get aways for years. You will have a good time.

Cori

Archived