Caribbean is Open

satxdiver

This article from Porthole Cruise about media call October 16 between the US based cruise lines including Carnival CEO Donald, RCCL CEO Goldstein and others about the situation in the Caribbean. At the end of the article it points you to CaribbeanisOpen.com. Plans to resume port visits to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and St Martin were discussed.

https://www.porthole.com/the-caribbean-is-open-for-business/

This article from Porthole Cruise about media call October 16 between the US based cruise lines including Carnival CEO Donald, RCCL CEO Goldstein and others about the situation in the Caribbean. At the end of the article it points you to CaribbeanisOpen.com. Plans to resume port visits to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and St Martin were discussed.

Certainly this is a group that will give an unbiased view:

On the call were Arnold Donald, chair of the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) and CEO of Carnival Corporation; Adam Goldstein, chair of the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA) and president and COO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.; and Michele Paige, president of the FCCA.

If the caribbean is so open, why did princess have fire-sale prices for many cruises in

November and December?

If you are looking for info on the recovery of the US Virgin Islands go to this website vinow. Go to the recovery blog page. It will give you details on the progress for each island. Things are still a mess. The thing is they need our tourist dollars to get up and running again. It is a hard problem for the cruise lines to figure all this out. I would not want to be the one in charge of making these decisions. On 7 day eastern Caribbean cruises there are not a lot of different choices that can handle the size ships coming into these islands. The 3 main eastern ports, St Thomas, St Martin & San Juan, received the most damage. Where do they send ships that carry up to 5000 people? Those ports are about the only ones within a 7 day range that can accommodate 4 or 5 ships that will put 10,000 or more people on an island for the day. We have been to St Martin & St Thomas with up to 5 - 6 ships docked for the day. There just are not enough islands out there to make that work. The longer cruises are in better shape they can go down deeper in the Caribbean. We will be on the Regal 12/28/17 10 day cruise. We will be happy just to be on a cruise, relaxing, cruising with good friends. I feel for all the cruise lines. This is a nightmare for them. Just think about what has happened to all the people living on these islands. Can't we just all take a breath and stop thinking about ourselves. Think about how many people do not have a roof over their heads. If going to some of these islands that are in need of help can in anyway help these people get back on their feet, I for one am all for it. Just my 2 cents.

On the call were Arnold Donald, chair of the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) and CEO of Carnival Corporation; Adam Goldstein, chair of the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA) and president and COO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.; and Michele Paige, president of the FCCA.

If the caribbean is so open, why did princess have fire-sale prices for many cruises in

November and December?

I don’t know why they are having these crazy fire sales. The other cruises lines don’t appear to be. I have no idea what is up with princess.

November and December?

Yes the two are trying to put a positive spin on the situation as they have cabins to fill. Which brings us to why the lower prices in the next two months. Some (many?) pax are panicking and canceling their Caribbean cruises before final payment is due since Princess allows one to do it without any $$$ loss. So now they have empty cabins to fill. Every empty cabin on a cruise is a loss to their bottom line as it contributes nothing while the basic costs of the ship stay the same. A little less profit or even no profit is better than no income at all.

https://www.porthole.com/the-caribbean-is-open-for-business/

Just saw this. Thank you for your posting of the link.....:):):)

Bob

If you are looking for info on the recovery of the US Virgin Islands go to this website vinow. Go to the recovery blog page. It will give you details on the progress for each island. Things are still a mess. The thing is they need our tourist dollars to get up and running again. It is a hard problem for the cruise lines to figure all this out. I would not want to be the one in charge of making these decisions. On 7 day eastern Caribbean cruises there are not a lot of different choices that can handle the size ships coming into these islands. The 3 main eastern ports, St Thomas, St Martin & San Juan, received the most damage. Where do they send ships that carry up to 5000 people? Those ports are about the only ones within a 7 day range that can accommodate 4 or 5 ships that will put 10,000 or more people on an island for the day. We have been to St Martin & St Thomas with up to 5 - 6 ships docked for the day. There just are not enough islands out there to make that work. The longer cruises are in better shape they can go down deeper in the Caribbean. We will be on the Regal 12/28/17 10 day cruise. We will be happy just to be on a cruise, relaxing, cruising with good friends. I feel for all the cruise lines. This is a nightmare for them. Just think about what has happened to all the people living on these islands. Can't we just all take a breath and stop thinking about ourselves. Think about how many people do not have a roof over their heads. If going to some of these islands that are in need of help can in anyway help these people get back on their feet, I for one am all for it. Just my 2 cents.

Can you post a link to the section you’re referring too?

Thanks!

Tom😀

Can you post a link to the section you’re referring too?

Thanks!

Tom

I tried to post the link several times Cruise Critic would not let it post. The website is " VI now" It is a travel page for the US Virgin Islands. I have been looking at it for years always gives correct info. At the top of the page there is a new blog called Virgin Islands Recovery Blog.

I don’t know why they are having these crazy fire sales. The other cruises lines don’t appear to be. I have no idea what is up with princess.

Loads and loads of cancellations have caused lots of available cabins near sailing date.

Picked up a local report for USVI dated Friday 20th October which said that:

1. The whole of the territory remains under a boil water advisory.

2. 80 % of properties still have no electricity and they hope to have 90% of clients reconnected by Christmas.

3. There is a standardised territory wide curfew from 8pm to 5am

4. Bathing in the sea is not advised because of a heightened level of bacteria

5. The hospitals on both St Thomas and St Croix, will probably have to be completely re-built

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/20/559026813/st-john-could-get-electricity-turned-back-on-6-weeks-after-hurricane-Irma

I also picked up a report which said that, as of 20th October, 19% of the electricity company's clients on St Croix had electricity and 23% of clients on St Thomas, but I can't find the link.

Here you go, Tom.. http://www.**********/recovery/

put vinow . com where the ***** are..

Thanks for posting this link. One of the questions I've had is whether the trees/shrubs that were totally stripped of their leaves were still alive and would sprout new leaves. Looks like some of them have started sprouting, which is good news. Also, I wasn't aware of the coastal flooding which some of the photos clearly show in downtown and in Crown Bay.