Guernsey

Does anybody know how difficult it is to get a cab in Guernsey? We have a short time there since it is a tender port and we want to go to the German Occupation Museum and the Underground Hospital. Do you have to reserve your cab in advance?

Does anybody know how difficult it is to get a cab in Guernsey? We have a short time there since it is a tender port and we want to go to the German Occupation Museum and the Underground Hospital. Do you have to reserve your cab in advance?

Ordinarily, I'd say to just book ahead using any cab company you can find on the internet. However, we were recently at Guernsey on Emerald Princess and the tendering process was so slow and chaotic (a mixture of fog and bad planning) that many passengers, including us, did not even manage to get off the ship and many of those that did were severely delayed. I think the best way to insure against this would be to bite the bullet and book a ship's tour rather than go DIY. At least that way you will get priority on the tenders. Just a thought :)

We were on Ventura in Guernsey and had no trouble at all with the tender process. WE arrived at the time specified to pick up our hire car. They drive on the same side of the road as us and we were able to explore lots of little beaches and stop when we felt like it for no more than the price of a taxi. There's also a local bus goes round the island which is obviously very cheap but there were long queues for that.

It should not be too difficult to get a taxi when you arrive in Guernsey, however you may wish to pre-book with a company, and advise that timing will be dependent upon the tenders. Perhaps you could text them when you are getting on the tender so they would have at least a 15-20 minutes notice. Tendering can vary depending upon which cruise line and how long they will be spending in Guernsey. I attach a link to a previous thread with some information which may be of use, which had dropped down many pages on this forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147913&page=8

The local tourist website is http://www.visitguernsey.com. Although it would be good value for money, provides flexibility, if you are not used to driving on the left hand side of the road, and on very small roads, I would not recommend hiring a car in Guernsey.

If you have any further questions, please post here and I will try to help. I hope you enjoy your visit to Guernsey.

Edited by Guernseycruiser

Ordinarily, I'd say to just book ahead using any cab company you can find on the internet. However, we were recently at Guernsey on Emerald Princess and the tendering process was so slow and chaotic (a mixture of fog and bad planning) that many passengers, including us, did not even manage to get off the ship and many of those that did were severely delayed. I think the best way to insure against this would be to bite the bullet and book a ship's tour rather than go DIY. At least that way you will get priority on the tenders. Just a thought :)

We will be on the Caribbean Princess and the ship's tour is on a wait list. I sure hope we make it over to see these sites. Thanks, everyone, for your help. I will try to pre book the taxi!

Edited by irvingwml

We also did a port call at Guernsey earlier this month on a different ship than TowncarT, and due to extreme fog the tender process was stopped for an hour. The ship had several loaded tenders floating just off the ship tender dock and after about 45 minutes passengers on those tenders were asked to vote whether to stay floating or return to the ship. From a fellow passenger who has a friend to lives there fog is not unusual, so the OP may want to make a decision regarding which is more important to them (ie the Occupation Museum versus the Underground Hospital) in case extreme fog happens on their sailing.