Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 39

pierces

How is it fair that O. J. Simpson is released and this kitten is in a cage? Ok. I made my point about violent a-holes being let out on the street so here's the real story. This little bundle of cuteness was the runt of the litter and was abandoned by it’s feral mother. The Cat Gods took notice and made sure that it was abandoned in a certain back yard in Chino. As a result, my Mother-In-Law rescued the little thing and bottle-fed it until it was old enough to be taken to PetSmart to be evaluated for adoption. The Cat Gods smiled again and little No-Name was immediately accepted to the program and will be placed with a loving family. Good luck, little one. Cuteness has power.

How Is This Fair?

p2545292686-5.jpg

Dave

Shelter/rescue animals are just so inherently and greatly appreciative of getting a new home, it's innocent, 100% joy.

Bindy's been with us 3 weeks now and we all couldn't be happier with each other!

cb472d021eaa017ee9ac627d658575f6.jpg

(she really is happy, I swear [emoji1])

Adorable rescues...both. I've been there on the cat story - I've been a lifelong dog lover and owner with little real knowledge of cats, though I love all animals...I had a tiny runt like that one show up in my backyard, and I offered it some food because it just wandered around barely able to walk, looking for its mom who had abandoned it. That was almost 9 years ago, and now the spoiled thing is lying on my king bed spoiled beyond belief.

My weekend was another wildlife/bird outing - mostly just expecting the usual swamp and water birds and reptiles...but the fall migration has kicked into gear big time on Saturday so I was greeted with tree canopies full of hundreds of birds with dozens of species that we will only see for a few weeks as they pass through on their way to the Caribbean or South America...plus a few that stay here in Florida for the winter. Amazing diversity, of which these are just a sampling:

An ovenbird - this one will stick around Florida for the winter:

original.jpg

The yellow-throated warbler is also a Florida wintering bird:

original.jpg

This black-throated blue warbler on the other hand is just passing through - stopping off in Florida to feed and prepare for a longer trip:

original.jpg

This was a great exotic find for me - I didn't even know for sure what it was without posting it on the bird boards for more info - consensus is that this is an Acadian flycatcher, which is a brand new bird for me:

original.jpg

Look close and you can see how this red-eyed vireo got his name:

original.jpg