Holland America Mariner Department Customer Service Reps

laurap414

Has anyone else had a bad experience with the Customer Service reps who answer the phone in the Mariner department? I find they are always extremely short with me, unhelpful, and act like they are being inconvenienced by my call. Not the level of Customer Service I would expect from a top-tier cruise line trying to keep their very best customers happy. Would appreciate anyone else's thoughts!

Has anyone else had a bad experience with the Customer Service reps who answer the phone in the Mariner department? I find they are always extremely short with me, unhelpful, and act like they are being inconvenienced by my call. Not the level of Customer Service I would expect from a top-tier cruise line trying to keep their very best customers happy. Would appreciate anyone else's thoughts!

Are you talking about the regular HAL number or the Mariner society?

I've always found the Mariner Society helpful but I don't have time for the regular HAL number - call 3 times get 3 different answers.

I was actually talking about Mariner Society number. Maybe I have had bad luck.

Well, that is a shame. And unacceptable IMO.

Personally if I hit someone who was not helpful, I would just saya thanks, and then hang up and try again ;)

Seriously - or ask for a supervisor. If someone is rude/unhelpful there is no call for that. They are there to help. and, if they don't want to, they are in the wrong job. JMO though.

I've only had to contact them a few times and only once had a fellow who was "short", not overly helpful at all. Every other time they have been wonderful.

After I had the unhelpful guy I just phoned back in a few days and got someone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only spoken to them a couple of times. They were fine. However, in my experience, their email ability leaves a lot to be desired -- they seem to have a near-total lack of reading comprehension.

The regular reps who answer the regular HAL phone lines have been both good and bad. When I get a bad one, I make an excuse, hang up, and phone again.

I've found the Mariner Department is almost always excellent. Once I had a lady who was indeed short, but any other time, by email or phone they are really good, helpful. I contact them at least twice per cruise booking about various things and I always get the answers, some very detailed, to my questions or concerns.

I think Gerald Bernhoft is one of HAL's top executives and runs a very good department.

(My own pet peeve with HAL in this regard is the dreadfully unhelpful Chat Line. What a waste of time that one is.)

I've found the Mariner Department is almost always excellent. Once I had a lady who was indeed short, but any other time, by email or phone they are really good, helpful. I contact them at least twice per cruise booking about various things and I always get the answers, some very detailed, to my questions or concerns.

I think Gerald Bernhoft is one of HAL's top executives and runs a very good department.

(My own pet peeve with HAL in this regard is the dreadfully unhelpful Chat Line. What a waste of time that one is.)

Interesting how people's experiences differ :) I've found Chat pretty helpful for the most part. And I stand by my comment about my experience with email.... when I get a reply that says "you must have lost your invitation" and when I explain (again) that no, I did not receive an invitation, I am told "If you'd looked in your mail slot by your door it would have been there". Not even any kind of acknowledgement or apology.

I lost no sleep over it ;) but still, it left a not-great impression.

Interesting how people's experiences differ :) I've found Chat pretty helpful for the most part. And I stand by my comment about my experience with email.... when I get a reply that says "you must have lost your invitation" and when I explain (again) that no, I did not receive an invitation, I am told "If you'd looked in your mail slot by your door it would have been there". Not even any kind of acknowledgement or apology.

I agree. Mr. . Bernhoft runs Mariners as a wonderful r deparrtment where Mainers can reach out for assist ance. My experience has always been very good with Mariners. and am sorry for tho e who have not had a good experience. None of us are top of our game all the time. Maybe they were having a bad day for some reason.

Yikes! That response sounds, verbatim, like what you can receive on the ships from the Front Desk!

The disconnect between the ships and Seattle is amazingly bad at times.

I’ve never called them but did receive an email after our last cruise thanking us for our loyalty and congratulated us on achieving another star. They also said they looked forward to our return cruise in March. We have never received unsolicited emails from the Mariners Society. It was nice.

I’ve never called them but did receive an email after our last cruise thanking us for our loyalty and congratulated us on achieving another star. They also said they looked forward to our return cruise in March. We have never received unsolicited emails from the Mariners Society. It was nice.

Might be something new and shows the Mariner Society is trying.

Congratulations on your Star!

I have only spoken to them a couple of times. They were fine. However, in my experience, their email ability leaves a lot to be desired -- they seem to have a near-total lack of reading comprehension.

The regular reps who answer the regular HAL phone lines have been both good and bad. When I get a bad one, I make an excuse, hang up, and phone again.

Interesting. A week ago I emailed them a specific question on my account and got a very informative response to my exact situation in less than 2 hours. I was favorably impressed!

Might be something new and shows the Mariner Society is trying.

Congratulations on your Star!

Thanks. My wife is looking forward to “possibly” getting to cook during the Culinary Arts presentations where I’m just happy to save a few bucks with the free PG dinners! Did I use the word free..;)

Funnily enough, I just had a question for the Mariner Society about my status and magazines, and although I usually contact them by email, because of this thread I decided to phone instead. I got a delightful lady named Shannon, who sorted out my requests quickly and very pleasantly.

I'm glad you received an email from the Mariner Society congratulating you on getting another star.

We achieved 5* on our last cruise which ended on May 29th, 2017. It has been posted on "My Mariner Status", however, I didn't get an email from them, nor have I received the 5* pins in the mail yet. Not a big deal, but some sort of consistency would be nice. :D

I want to tread carefully, but its difficult. Like many here, we are very frequent cruisers on HAL (and many other lines). But when we deal with a cruise line we understand that we are mere customers buying a travel package from a "for profit" business. We expect to be treated well, like any customer...and if we are not treated well we understand that the option to go elsewhere is the normal solution .

But on this thread, and elsewhere on CC (in other cruise lines) the issue comes up about some folks thinking they should be treated special...just because they are good customers. I think its a bunch a bull! I think everyone should be treated well, whether they are 10 Star Mariners or on their first cruise. Just because one has been a good customer..they should not expected to be treated better then anyone else.. That is just being a snob (and that would be the nicest word to describe this kind of person).

Somebody on the Celebrity board started a bit of an argument by complaining that those who were Elite (this might be similar to about a 3-4 Star Mariner) were all snobs and expected special rights. The poster claimed that she witnessed a women cutting in line and saying she was entitled to be served first, because she was Elite. Most HAL passengers we have met do not have this kind of entitled attitude...but we have met a few who do think they are something special just because they have cruised a lot. During embarkation on one Prinsendam (we love that ole ship) cruise, the security person directed us to the priority line for 4-5 Star Mariners. We noticed that the 4-5 Star line was very long (and hardly moving) while there was nobody in the regular line (this was a Grand cruise with mostly 4-5 Star Mariners). So we ask the security person if we could just go to the regular line and they quickly said they thought it was a great idea. So we walked about 5 feet to the other line and were quickly checked-in while those that waited in the priority line cooled their heels. As we were walking away from the check-in desk one woman in that 5 Star Line remarked, "we would never get in that regular line because we worked hard to get our 5 Star status." DW and I just smiled as we walked towards the ship. The truth is that women "earned" nothing but simply spent her way to 5 Stars (like most of us).

When I see a poster who expects HAL to keep "their best cruisers happy" it makes me cringe. We would hope that HAL tries their best to keep ALL passengers happy :). The truth is that HAL does not have to keep most of their best customers happy because many of these folks are totally hooked on HAL. HAL's emphasis now is on attracting new customers (and keeping them very happy). One of my cruise agents tells me she has much more success getting free HAL upgrades for new cruisers then those of us with 4-5 Stars. Go figure.

Hank

P.S. Before I get flamed I will admit that we are 5 Star Mariners...but expect nothing more then the perks given to those who are 5 Stars.

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks. My wife is looking forward to “possibly” getting to cook during the Culinary Arts presentations where I’m just happy to save a few bucks with the free PG dinners! Did I use the word free..;)

That is great! We LOVE the two pp complimentary Pinnacle dinners.

You might want to try the complimentary Spa pass and the cooking classes are always fun, a few shorex, sort of.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks, Hank, a good post.

Some of the 4-5 star rewards like "priority anything" do separate the "have and the have-nots", so pax are treated differently/specially, as are Suite pax. Expecting beyond that is questionable form.

From what we see on HAL it is who you know on the ships that determines to some degree who is treated better/differently/specially from others.