Walking to Port

hockeyguru32

Never done it but have seen quite a few people walking (while pulling luggage) into the port area at PE.

ETA: the people we've seen were heading for the terminals at the North end of the port (terminal 2, 4) so the walk may not be as bad as trying to get to the terminals near the center or South end.

Look at the map: https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Everglades_Map_REVISED_November_30_2016_bae57d31-04c5-41d1-b193-a4bf242d9293.pdf. The security booth was moved a few years ago to further south on Eisenhower Blvd and now you can enter terminals 2 and 4 without going through security - and there are sidewalks the entire way from 17th Street. I would never try walking to any of the other terminals. Even at terminals 2 and 4 it would depend on the weather. From May to November (and sometimes in the other months) it is hot and humid and can be miserable just walking, never mind dragging luggage.

Staying very close to Port Everglades has anyone ever walked to the port? I'm sure you still have to go thru the security gate on SE 17th Street.

Yes lots of people do it but for the sake of a few dollars - why? As others have already stated, the heat, humidity and lack of shade make it a joyless walk.

Arriving at the terminal sweaty and uncomfortable hold little pleasure for me!

No security?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We didn't need to use the main road. We walked from the Hilton using the path under the bridge through the parking garage at the port. There was a gate that looked like it should have been manned but no one was there.

No security?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

See the map in post #8. Until a few years ago the security station was set up on Eisenhower Blvd before the entrance to terminals 2 and 4 and the northport garage. Then it was moved south of that entrance because the garage also serves the Fort Lauderdale convention center on 17th Street. The remainder of the port has a total of 3 security entrances because of its commercial activity. Port Everglades (to quote their website) "is among the most active containerized cargo ports in the United States and South Florida’s main seaport for petroleum products such as gasoline and jet fuel." All those petroleum products pose an inviting target and need protection.