220v Electricity On River Boats?

cambriah

Hi All:

We will be taking our first River cruise -- Amsterdam to Basel -- in late April. I have been informed that I may need a European adapter and/or converter in order to use the European 2-pin power outlets.

If this is so, I have been looking into purchasing such an adapter, but there seems to be hundreds of different types and sizes on the market. We will be using an iphone 6s and an ipad mini3.

Since my spouse and I may be described as "technically challenged", any thoughts/ advise on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance! :confused:

Cambriah

What cruise line and ship? Odds are somebody here has been on your ship and can tell you exactly what you need, if anything.

On our Uniworld Europe cruises, all of the boats had at a minimum, 220V European plugs. Some also had North American plugs as well. It varied from boat to boat.

Almost all modern transformers can handle input current from 110V - 240V. You will almost certainly NOT need a voltage transformer to plug in and charge your stuff.

*An adapter simply allows you to plug your NA plug into a different style plug, but keeps the current at 220V, and should cost very little. A converter actually steps down the voltage from 220V to 110V. It costs more.

Hi All:

We will be taking our first River cruise -- Amsterdam to Basel -- in late April. I have been informed that I may need a European adapter and/or converter in order to use the European 2-pin power outlets.

If this is so, I have been looking into purchasing such an adapter, but there seems to be hundreds of different types and sizes on the market. We will be using an iphone 6s and an ipad mini3.

Since my spouse and I may be described as "technically challenged", any thoughts/ advise on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance! :confused:

Cambriah

Your iphone and ipad mini should work with either current. Amazon has a schuko type adapter for app $7.00 that should fit all your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rick Steves sells European plug adapters for $1 each on his website.

Just about all phone, computer, tablet, etc. chargers are dual voltage. Just look at its markings.

Just be careful if you use a curling iron. It may not handle a voltage converter well. Wife purchased a dual voltage iron at Target for under $20 and it worked well on a European trip last year. Check to be sure the electrical system on the boat can handle it. Don't worry about hair dryers--boat and hotels will have them.

Hi We will be on the AMA Prima.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses.

Cambriah

We sailed on the Ama Prima in 2015 from Vilshofen to Budapest.

A great trip on a great ship, Nick was our CD and he did a great job!

Sent from my iPad using Forums