Booked Rotterdam 2019 - Have I Made A Big Mistake

Tiggipaws

Hi

Sailed on the Eurodam in Dec and loved her. We are self employed and a cruise this year is going to be impossible.

Been looking for a relaxing cruise for 2019 and I thought I had found an itiniary I really liked, a 14 days Southern Caribbean on the Rotterdam. I had a look at the reviews and some videos and I thought, oh not so bad. I booked the cruise yesterday with a TA using a future cruise deposit.

I have since decided to do further research and it doesn't sound to good the state the ships in, whats she going to be like in another 18 months? I don't mind that there is limited entertainment etc, I can entertain myself. I also like that the ship is quiet.

I wondering whether to cancel and book the Niew Amsterdam, the itiniary is nearly the same as I went on last time, but at least she is in good order.

Any thoughts please

Nieuw Amsterdam I one of my favourite ships. Even nicer, than Eurodam and her retreat cabanas are the best! I have not been on Rotterdam, but remember that it's an older and more "traditional" ship than NA. Lots of c.c. members will be able to give you their opinion on the Rotterdam.

I’m booked on the Rotterdam this August and again in November. I’m not at all concerned but can update after our cruises. If I remember posts correctly the reported issues have been resolved post dry dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I did read the leaks and most of the other problems have been sorted. I have also read that the new carpets are stained? Would'nt have thought that was possible in such a short time. Crazy for Cats will look forward to your reviews

We were in the Rotterdam in January for our first HAL cruise. The ship was fine, for the most part. We saw no buckets, leaks, etc. There were just a few minor issues- Our room temperature did go from too hot to too cold without touching the thermostat, it was too warm in the public areas for us most days and we had very low water pressure one day.

The main issue we had wasn’t with the ship’s condition, but the variety and quality of the food and entertainment was below what we experienced on other lines (primarily Royal Caribbean & Carnival). Both are subjective and many seem to enjoy them on HAL. The lack of more upbeat music and live music on deck at sail away, by the pool, etc. was also disappointing.

We chose the cruise based on the itinerary, the time we could go and the price was cheaper than other lines. We found HAL is probably not for us. As long as you have a good itinerary and aren’t expecting a lot of entertainment offerings and more upbeat music, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so sorry you have such stated apprehensions about your upcoming cruise choice. There is nothing wrong with the Rotterdam. HAL does not sail ships in poor condition or get such consistently high passenger loyalty by institutionally abusing their customers. There are a few posters here who consistently lie and exaggerate about its condition, for reasons unknown. They are the ones who should on the cancel list. Things happen on ship, any ship. It comes with the territory and the nature of the operation as small floating cities that must be self-contained while being subject to large groups of people, some of whom may or may not consider the best interests of their fellow passengers. Go for the itinerary, the deep, quieter comfort of HAL ships and appreciate what ship board life can entail. That said, either the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Rotterdam are wonderful HAL choices - each with its own inherently different features due to size and age of ship.

We have sailed the Rotterdam twice. Loved each cruise. Nothing wrong with the ship that I could see. I agree with OlsSalt. Things happen on a cruise ship, especially when passengers flush something that shouldn't be flushed. I see folks here on CC who appear to be so picky and critical that I would fear inviting them to my home. They might find a fleck of dust on the shelf! :eek:

Yesterday we disembarked the Rotterdam after a 7 day Western Caribbean. Our stateroom (oceanview main deck) had no problems. A/C, water temperature and pressure were fine (and I like a powerful shower). On our rainy day I saw an officer inspecting the ceiling on Lido deck near the elevator lobby, but I saw no dripping there, or anywhere. From what I could see, this ship is in fine condition. Someone mentioned the carpets, so I guess they're referring to the stateroom corridors, which are not worn down but the design was a bit faded, just near cabin doors. I very much like the color of the carpets, and the interior of the whole ship. Background music was very good - unfortunately no Sinatra, etc., but a nice mix (e.g. The Police, Little River Band) and at a perfect volume. I enjoyed the entertainment, although the piano/violin duo seemed to be on a very limited schedule compared to my past HAL cruises. Overall this cruise, my only one on the Rotterdam so far, was excellent.

We sailed the Rotterdam before the dry dock - March - May, 2017. It was a fabulous cruise.

I love this ship for her art. As far as art (which is subjectve) the N Amsterdam doesn't compare.

The crew were beyond wonderful with little touches here and there.

Go with whichever ship you feel better with.

Me? I'd take the Rotterdam but it is an older ship as opposed to the N Amsterdam.

I sailed on the Rotterdam last February. It was a Caribbean cruise. I spend most of my time on cruises at the back pool and the Rotterdam does not have a pool at the back of the ship. It has kind of a strange water feature with some deck chairs sitting in a couple inches of water which just feels gross because it is so warm. Because a back pool is important to me on warm-weather cruises I would not sell on the Rotterdam again if it was a warm-weather cruise however it would be fine for a non warm-weather vacation.

I know there is a mid-ship pool but even with the ceiling open that area seems to heat up during the day and I did not like having to go from the back of the ship to Mid ship to get in the pool and cool off and walk wet back to my desk chair in the aft

Thank you for all the positive comments. I'm going to stick with the Rotterdam and have a great cruise

Glad to hear it. I’m sure you will have a wonderful cruise. BTW I had read similar reports about the Veendam after we booked our first cruise on her. I saw none of the issues, had a great cruise and made some wonderful friends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off the Rotterdam this sunday March 11. The ship is beautiful. everywhere you look things are clean and fresh from the recent drydock. Yes, it is an older ship but there were no issues worth even mentioning. As to the 'fade' in the carpets, it's intentional....part of the pattern if you look closely. The staff was very good, even by HAL standards. We found the food in MDR, Pinnacle, and Canaletto to be excellent. The only reasons I would choose the Eurodam or NA over Rotterdam would be for the Tamarind and the larger thermal suite. The entertainment package is on the empty side without the BB King players but we managed fine.

I sailed on the Rotterdam last February. It was a Caribbean cruise. I spend most of my time on cruises at the back pool and the Rotterdam does not have a pool at the back of the ship. It has kind of a strange water feature with some deck chairs sitting in a couple inches of water which just feels gross because it is so warm. Because a back pool is important to me on warm-weather cruises I would not sell on the Rotterdam again if it was a warm-weather cruise however it would be fine for a non warm-weather vacation.

I know there is a mid-ship pool but even with the ceiling open that area seems to heat up during the day and I did not like having to go from the back of the ship to Mid ship to get in the pool and cool off and walk wet back to my desk chair in the aft

The aft pool is my favourite place as well. I didn't know that the Rotterdam didn't have one. Are there other HAL ships that don't have an aft pool?

I have sailed both ships and enjoyed them both. All things being equal I would choose based on itinerary, but I do love the Tamarind which is only on the NA. You also probably will pay less for a balcony on the NA as she has a lot more of them. And the vista suites on the Rotterdam are very similar to a balcony on NA in size.

Just off the Rotterdam this sunday March 11. The ship is beautiful. everywhere you look things are clean and fresh from the recent drydock. Yes, it is an older ship but there were no issues worth even mentioning. As to the 'fade' in the carpets, it's intentional....part of the pattern if you look closely. The staff was very good, even by HAL standards. We found the food in MDR, Pinnacle, and Canaletto to be excellent. The only reasons I would choose the Eurodam or NA over Rotterdam would be for the Tamarind and the larger thermal suite. The entertainment package is on the empty side without the BB King players but we managed fine.

I'd like to second this report. We were also on this cruise and it was our best cruise ever. No maintenance issues. Clean ship. Great crew and service.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed Rotterdam 2 years ago and was very disappointed in the aft "wading pool" or whatever it is. especially for a Caribbean cruise. We had looked at your trip, (leaving and returning to Tampa, right?) and loved the itinerary, but not the pricing on the Rotterdam (no regular balcony rooms, have to get "Signature Suite") and it just wasn't on of my favorite ships in layout. Crew, food, all fine. If the itinerary is really what you want (and it is a nice one, the cruise around St Lucia is lovely) it's worth it. I did find a similar itinerary for 2019 on Kongesdam, 11 day southern wayfarer, might want to check it out. but lack of an aft pool won't ruin your trip!!!

Will be sailing on Rotterdam April 1. Although you aren't sailing until 2019, I can let you know our impressions. What category cabin did you book? We're in a lanai (3334).

Like you, I've booked a cabin on a Holland America ship and read unflattering reviews prior to sailing. Once we were onboard, we just didn't notice most of those things previous cruisers had complained about. Yes, we noticed some wear and tear on some ships but not to the extent that some reviewers remarked. It never impacted any of our cruises negatively. We came back to HAL so many times that we have close to 300 days onboard now.

You have to decide if the concerns that others mention would be a deal breaker. Some people want to be on the newest, latest ship and aren't happy with any ship older than a couple of years.