What to wear Alaskan cruisetour June 2010

MimiW04

This will be our first cruise to Alaska:D and I am at a loss of what to wear on board the ship and on the land tours. Also what type of shoes? Will be sailing on RCCI Radience of the Seas, room 7002 - anyone ever have that room? Any help greatly appreciated

I just got back from Alaska and the weather was wonderful. probably 60-70 degrees and sunny the whole time. But, they did keep telling us how lucky we were.

For shoes I wore like running shoes for walking around the city. we did a bunch of hiking too. Mostly jeans and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt.

But the weather can change a lot. I went in early August (july 31-aug 10) they said it may and June it rained a lot but july was nice too.

the cruise tour part was about the same weather maybe a little warmer.

The coldest part was at the glaicer it was probably 40-50 degrees but it was like 6 - 8 AM it got warmer that day.

You guys will have such an awesome time! :)

My husband and I actually lived in the Fairbanks area for about 10 years.

The best way to prepare for Alaska weather is to layer, layer, layer... You might have t-shirt weather, but it could also be cool or rainy.... I generally bring t-shirts, a neutral colored cardigan I can wear over them if it's cool, and then a hooded rain jacket with a zip out fleece lining. If you have those items with you, you'll be prepared for a wide range of temps.

You'll also want a hat and gloves for the day at the glacier, it's generally pretty cool there.

I think you'll find that you'll want to be wearing comfortable sneakers for shoes the majority of the time.

We bought cheap plastic ponchos at Academy, and they worked perfectly. No need for expensive rain gear. We found our Alaska cruise to be much more casual than others we taken. Slacks in the dining room, jeans during the day. It's a fabulous trip!

We went in August. Packed jeans, tshirts, sweat shirts, a rain coat, etc. Foggy on the day at sea. Misted in Juneau and Skagway. I took a backpack so that as the weather changed during the day, we would put the extra clothing into the backpack. If we needed it again, out of the backpack it would come. You never know what kind of weather you will get.

Archived