Arrival Gift for Cabin Steward?

mt_goodrich

Being nice is wonderful. I certainly don't want to stop anybody from being generous. The world would be a better place if we were all nicer to each other.

That said, I stand by my original post. Do you want your boss to give you cookies in lieu of cash?

Just an anecdote on this topic :

My husband worked for a big profitable hospital in California, in a professional capacity. For Christmas they received a certificate to redeem for a turkey. And alternately, one year he received ONE movie ticket and a box of chocolate ( ONE chocolate in a tiny box, not a box of chocolate"s").

Not all bosses give cash bonuses. :)

If the candy is in addition to tips then the "in lieu" doesn't apply here.

Everyone appreciates cash, no one disputes that, but one of my favorite things about Christmas is the always the stockings my family does and "secret santa" stuff. And at work this year, we had people put together Halloween "boo" presents and everyone enjoyed getting one. Yes, I could buy all that stuff myself, and, yes, some of it isn't going to be used, but it's thoughtful and fun to get a little present. I realize the crew quarters are small so my gift will fit in a very small little bag. I'm also going to include a magnet hook that can hold the present on the wall (Amazon sells hooks that hold from anywhere from 4 - 50 pounds!). Maybe they can get everything in port themselves, wouldn't it be nice not to spend your rare off time searching for chapstick (factory sealed, with spf, btw) and sugar free altoids?

I'm the kind of person who puts together little gift packs for everyone when we do a road trip. I like to do it. I will still give extra cash at the end, if service is great, but I enjoy putting a little gift together. If some of my present ends up in the trash or given away to another crew member, I don't really care. I'm making little bags for my family on the cruise, too. They probably won't use everything I include. So be it. They know I was thinking about them and the enjoyment they might get from something I included.

I looked up this thread to see what suggestions people might have to include in my gift bag and was kind of surprised at the tone. If you want to give cash, give cash. If you want to make or bring a little gift, do it! Or do both!

In addition to the altoids and the magnetic hook and chapstick I'm putting in the reusable drawstring bag, I'm also including a bandana (100 uses for a bandana!) and small super strong earth magnets. Since the ship is metal and the quarters are cramped, magnets that can hold stuff to the walls will hopefully be appreciated.

I know you mean well, but let me offer a different perspective on this. Occasionally I will receive little treat bags from relatives or co-workers that contain stuff I don't want or have no use for or candy/snacks when I'm trying to lose weight. Some of this, admittedly, will go into the garbage which I feel TERRIBLE about. I know you say you don't care if some of it ends up in the trash, but do you want your cabin steward to feel guilty about doing so? I really do feel guilty when I throw things away that someone has given me. It bothers me, but I don't have a use for it in order to keep it. So I know you say you do this because YOU want to, but why not think about what the CREW would want? Because it's not really about you, if you're trying to do something nice for someone. It's about that person. And what the person wants is cash.

I plan on giving a small gift just because I always do that sort of thing. When traveling, I make a small gift bag with a Nebraska T-Shirt and a couple of other small Nebraska things.

Maybe it's a NE thing?

I am sure that a crew member for an Asian country or from eastern Europe really knows where Nebraska is or cares about it. If you must give an embarkation gift, paper rectangles with pictures of American presidents will mean more to them than a Nebraska Corn Huskers shirt will mean to them.

That said, lets not get started on the merits of pre-tipping versus post-tipping. There are way too many CC threads on that issue.

DON

I know you mean well, but let me offer a different perspective on this. Occasionally I will receive little treat bags from relatives or co-workers that contain stuff I don't want or have no use for or candy/snacks when I'm trying to lose weight. Some of this, admittedly, will go into the garbage which I feel TERRIBLE about. I know you say you don't care if some of it ends up in the trash, but do you want your cabin steward to feel guilty about doing so? I really do feel guilty when I throw things away that someone has given me. It bothers me, but I don't have a use for it in order to keep it. So I know you say you do this because YOU want to, but why not think about what the CREW would want? Because it's not really about you, if you're trying to do something nice for someone. It's about that person. And what the person wants is cash.

Agree

I am sure that a crew member for an Asian country or from eastern Europe really knows where Nebraska is or cares about it.

DON

What is a Nebraska? :confused: Is that what Peyton Manning says before every snap?

Many threads about this subject.

I have been on many cruises. I have seen the cabin that our room stewards "live" for extended periods of time. I know what they get paid. Gifts??? No. Pictures of family, personal items and a bed is about all the room that they have for those things.

Most are working to support their people back home. CASH - they send the cash home to support their folks.

Check it out........ How much value does the US Dollar have where they come from???

http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

Just an anecdote on this topic :

My husband worked for a big profitable hospital in California, in a professional capacity. For Christmas they received a certificate to redeem for a turkey. And alternately, one year he received ONE movie ticket and a box of chocolate ( ONE chocolate in a tiny box, not a box of chocolate"s").

Not all bgosses give cash bonuses. :)

If the candy is in addition to tips then the "in lieu" doesn't apply here.

The reason for those types of items given to your husband by his employer, it that those types of items are exempt from taxes. Cash bonuses or gift certificates of significant value are all taxable compensation.

Can't help but think that those who give gifts just do it to make themselves feel good, rather than really thinking of the person getting the gift. I think that especially when one says "I know it might be thrown away, but so what" or some similar comment. If you don't care if they throw your gift away, that just means that you're trying to make yourself feel better rather than really thinking about the crew member.

BTW, unless you're from NYC, or Chicago, Los Angeles or in our case Texas, chances are the crew have no idea where you're from and a goodie from your state will have no meaning. I mean, seriously, how would you feel if your boss gave you a t-shirt or cap from their old high school?

While the thought of a special gift is wonderful thought; however, we tip our onboard tips plus extra. We stay in a suite and often we get things we tell the steward to give to someone else and hopefully, they will tip him extra. We always say SHOW ME THE MONEY!! Really....there have been times we have gotten a bottle of champagne instead of just a glass....we tip accordingly...showing we appreciate. We save extra to tip these wonderful people who make our cruise special...we are no rich...we save all year and we want to give back. We feel good...it is our donation...giving to someone who has made us feel special and we want to return that favor.

While the thought of a special gift is wonderful thought; however, we tip our onboard tips plus extra. We stay in a suite and often we get things we tell the steward to give to someone else and hopefully, they will tip him extra. We always say SHOW ME THE MONEY!! Really....there have been times we have gotten a bottle of champagne instead of just a glass....we tip accordingly...

But if you tip too much, doesn't the champagne come pouring out of the bottle?

But if you tip too much, doesn't the champagne come pouring out of the bottle?

We have nieces who have worked as waitresses and have worked hard for a large table only to receive less than $5 tip or sometimes nothing. We tend to treat others as we would like to be treated ourselves. Too many times people tend to complain and don't take the time as much to compliment and show their appreciation in the way the people on the ships want, which is $$. They are working for tips.

Unfortunately, no the champagne does not come pouring out of the bottle!! However our room is always cleaned and done by the time we come back from breakfast. We don't ask a lot of the steward and keep our room neat anyways, but we do like to have the room done so hubby can enjoy his time on the balcony without interruption.

We feel good tipping for EXCELLENT SERVICE. If we did not get service we would not feel as we would have to tip any extra.

By the way, I love champagne!

Mary

There are several comments in this thread that I agree with. And there are several that I don't agree with. I personally am going to give a small gift that I feel the steward may like. Maybe even something that might be from my home Town/State. Of course, I also plan on giving a monetary tip as well. I know if I were out to sea for several months out of the year, even a small token would be a welcomed. I guess that's just me. Happy cruising everyone!

Got a bit confused, as the title is about arrival gift, but we are now talking about tips and stuff.

I just recently came from a cruise and because RCL already includes Service charge per day in our bill, there was really no need to Tip. However I did receive an envelop on our last night so we decided to give a small tip to our great Stateroom attendant. I also did leave him a Chocolate treat from the Philippines, with a note, explaining the treat and suggesting that he can also share with is Filipino crewmates.

I am almost sure that they are practical persons, they will not throw things that they don't like, the best they can do is offer them to fellow crewmates.

I had the urge to give him the Chocolate treat as soon as we arrived, but would always forget, and it was I think still the best time to give him the treat plus the small tip during our last night. When he next saw us, he did thank us with a big smile for the chocolate!

This thread reminds me of something I did. Our (it was a group cruise) travel agent died before the cruise. The agency owner joined us instead. Our TA really loved ducks. The owner didn't. Our TA would give out all sorts of duck themed gifts, including little yellow rubber ducks.

I was asked to get rid of them. We were in Ensenada at the time. So I went around sneaking up on little kids and giving them these little ducks. However, one kid saw me coming and stuck out his hand. I as able to hide the duck in my hand, so he didn't see it until I gave it to him. You should have seen the surprises look on his face. He was expecting some change and what he got was, A RUBBER DUCK? :eek: I can only imagine the same surprises look on a crew member's face when hoping for an extra tip they get a keychain from one of the fifty states, or one of the many touristy cities.

If you want to see what that look will look like, next time you go out to eat, instead of leaving a 20% tip, leave a 15% tip and five keychains from five of the places you have visited.

There are several comments in this thread that I agree with. And there are several that I don't agree with. I personally am going to give a small gift that I feel the steward may like.

A gift that you feel the steward may like? How would anyone know what they may like?:confused:

Maybe even something that might be from my home Town/State.

What could they possibly have a use for with something from your town/state?

Of course, I also plan on giving a monetary tip as well.

Why not just add to the tip, what you would spend on something they possibly have no use for? How about an example?

I know if I were out to sea for several months out of the year, even a small token would be a welcomed. I guess that's just me. Happy cruising everyone!

Yep, it could just be you.;)

There are several comments in this thread that I agree with. And there are several that I don't agree with. I personally am going to give a small gift that I feel the steward may like. Maybe even something that might be from my home Town/State. Of course, I also plan on giving a monetary tip as well. I know if I were out to sea for several months out of the year, even a small token would be a welcomed. I guess that's just me. Happy cruising everyone!

But what if everyone gave their steward a trinket or food from their home state? How many rooms does each steward clean at any given time? I have no idea but will guess 15. (I may be way off there.) So, every week, for 9 or so months, the steward gets 15 trinkets or snacks. That's overwhelming. It wouldn't take long to run out of space to put it all, and for the novelty of being given a gift to wear off.

I saw something once that will always stick with me. It was the last night of our Mediterranean cruise, and I saw an Asian couple giving their cabin steward what looked to be a box of frozen salmon or other fish. Very strange gift, I thought. Does he even like fish? And how would he cook it? The steward, of course, was very gracious and thanked them kindly. But when he turned around he had a little sadness in his eyes. I kind of read it as: "That couple spent money on something I have no use for." It bothered me to see the steward looking so sad after being given a gift. But I doubt he would have looked sad if they had given him an envelope of cash. What do you think?

But what if everyone gave their steward a trinket or food from their home state? How many rooms does each steward clean at any given time? I have no idea but will guess 15. (I may be way off there.) So, every week, for 9 or so months, the steward gets 15 trinkets or snacks. That's overwhelming. It wouldn't take long to run out of space to put it all, and for the novelty of being given a gift to wear off.

?

Even if only one person each week did this-- way too much. and no matter what you give the steward he will be most appreciative